Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to this, but not the rain that may invade the fun.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Yeah, the forecast is NOT looking good...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
        Looking forward to this, but not the rain that may invade the fun.
        What weather report are you looking at? I see maybe a chance of rain Thursday. Clearing up to be a beautiful weekend.... 🌞
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I can certainly say that this year(would have been my first)I can't get to Brown County,Indiana as much as I would have liked to.I'm hoping all of you nice folks enjoy your time together this June.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            What weather report are you looking at? I see maybe a chance of rain Thursday. Clearing up to be a beautiful weekend.... 🌞
            Yeah, 60% chance of rain on Thursday, 40% on Friday and great weather on Saturday and Sunday, per my Iphone weather report. (subject to change at any time!)
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
              Yeah, 60% chance of rain on Thursday, 40% on Friday and great weather on Saturday and Sunday, per my Iphone weather report. (subject to change at any time!)
              In other words, don't wash your cycle till you get there... However for some a little rain might be the only wash their cycle may get... (Dale)🙂
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

We're down to the last minute scramble to get out the door. Rain gear on hand!

See you all in a few days.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I'll take that forecast. Doesn't look like a front is coming so it might be based on storms popping out of the humidity. Easier to dodge scattered rain than a wet grey blanket.

Got a little work on the bike today and then it should be good to go!
                  1982 Suzuki GS450TXZ
                  1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S
                  2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Comment

Originally posted by VGplay View Post
                    I'll take that forecast. Doesn't look like a front is coming so it might be based on storms popping out of the humidity. Easier to dodge scattered rain than a wet grey blanket.

Got a little work on the bike today and then it should be good to go!
                    Yep, these kinds of forecasts in warm weather tend to be a day of smallish popups. I've successfully dodged many storms by altering the route, taking an early or longer lunch, etc. You need the weather eye of an old sea captain...

Of course, I've also gambled and lost on plenty of rain showers and storms. Ain't the end of the world.

Two items of business:

1) Sadly, the Saturday evening Indian Feast isn't happening this year. Jay started a massive remodeling project for the family living quarters earlier this year, and labor and material shortages have caused some delays. In short, they don't have a completed kitchen to cook in, so we're on our own. I think he and his family are more upset than we are -- they really look forward to cooking for a large appreciative crowd.

We'll discuss options on Thursday evening. I assured Jay that we probably wouldn't starve.

2) Also, I'm still working on correcting the usual GPX tracks I post, and adding some of the needed workarounds for this year. There are closures on IN-135 north and on IN-58 for bridge work. Getting around the closure on 135 (just north of Freetown) is pretty easy to find and quick. There are two ways to work around the closure on 58 (closed east of Kurtz) that are a little more involved and longer, but still quite entertaining.

Also, 145 is closed south of Bristow. AFAIK, the workarounds are unpaved, so 62 to 545 is a good alternate, or use Huffman Road in Bristow to 545.

237 is closed just south of English. I was there two weeks ago, and there is a way through that uses a very small bridge in the town. There are a few hundred yards of gravel, and lots of dire signs warning trucks they can't get through, but it's pretty easy to handle if you go that way.

INDOT has a pretty nice interactive map showing the current crop of closures:
                    Reports regarding traffic incidents, winter road conditions, traffic cameras, active and planned construction, etc.

There don't appear to be any flooding issues this year, and AFAIK 66 and 62 are in good shape, although I haven't yet been that far south this spring.

Most of 450 southwest of Bedford is freshly re-paved, although they've also dumped a bunch of gravel on the shoulders, so expect gravel in every corner. But gravel in every corner is kind of normal in Indiana... our taxpayers are an exceptionally frugal bunch, so state highways don't have one extra inch of shoulder paving.

150 southeast of Shoals is scheduled to close on Sunday 6/14 for yet another bridge replacement, so that should not affect us.

Due to the, um, "eventful" past year, a few restaurants and gas stations have gone out of business, but generally all the usual haunts are still around.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 06-07-2021, 12:06 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It is looking like I will NOT make the lunch meetup in Danville, so do not look, or wait for me. I ordered a new Mesh jacket, and it is supposed to be delivered Thursday. So that means I will likely be leaving too late for lunch... See you at the Rosemount ! ! !

Edit: I do have a room at the Rosemount, right?
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

And I am out. Unhappy, and out. I let Brian know Sunday morning.

Nothing terribly serious, just several things needing my attention.

Take plenty of photos....
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                          My weather bug app says 70% on Thursday, 50% on Friday and 40% on Sunday. Maybe I'll rent a trailer and pull the bike over. At least that way we would have a vehicle to go yo dinner in the evening if need be.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            And I am out. Unhappy, and out. I let Brian know Sunday morning.

Nothing terribly serious, just several things needing my attention.

Take plenty of photos....
                            Rats! That stinks. Was looking forward to seeing you there. Will have to plan a trip to K'ville soon.
                            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I'm only off work friday, anybody have any plans set for friday yet? Id love to get out for a ride and meet some of you guys.

Comment

If you show up by 8am-ish you’ll be catching folks as they pull out assuming we have a dry start to the day
                                sigpic
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X