Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liam View Post
    I'm only off work friday, anybody have any plans set for friday yet? Id love to get out for a ride and meet some of you guys.
    Seems that on Fridays a good number of folks head south, to go along the river, 62 & 66. Some have lunch at Levenworth Overlook. Some sometimes at Rockport. We aint organized-structured enough to have any advertised-scheduled routes-schedules.

I suspect if you ride on 66 & 62 between Tell City and Corydon, you will see at least one of the few groups of 3-4-5-6 bikes, and if follow them and chat at a stop, might have good chance is a group from the GSR rally (weither any GSes or not in the group). You might be able to tell if is a speed-demon-meniac group, or a stop-and-smell-roses group.

Maybe comeing up to Bedford THursday evening could be an option .

Maybe post some contact info, and maybe someone can tell you when they might be somewhere near Tell City.
    Last edited by Redman; 06-07-2021, 09:58 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
      My weather bug app says 70% on Thursday, 50% on Friday and 40% on Sunday. Maybe I'll rent a trailer and pull the bike over. At least that way we would have a vehicle to go yo dinner in the evening if need be.
      Yes, but if you take into consideration 40% of the day is night. And there's a 70% chance of rain. That leaves a 30% chance of rain during the day... Also 80% of the time it rains is after 6:00pm . So 30% - 20% is a 10% chance of rain during the day... 🌞
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Here are some maps and track for alls y'alls that are into thet thar computery stuff.

As ever, these routes are only a faint echo of the reality on the ground, and are only the product of a deeply imperfect memory coupled with a terribly flawed computer translation of what may or may not be actual roads that may or may not be passable on two wheels.

Plus, in several spots I couldn't figure out how to alter an incorrect route I already created using Alltrails, so I just drew some alternates.

I cannot offer any assurances that these routes exist, or are paved, or are safe. There could be anything from dead animals to tractors, Orcs, dragons, weird cults (really!), or even wormholes or minivans out there. Yes, there WILL be gravel in every corner.

Take these routes as only the vaguest hand wave of a suggestion. Pay attention, stay sharp, CARRY A PAPER MAP, and you may eventually figure out how to get back to Bedford.

Except for the "short" route, the entire route makes for a VERY long, exhausting day of intense twisties; there are lots of opportunities for shortcutting as needed.

As noted above, there are three detours needed on our usual routes this year -- on 58, 136, and 145. I've added these where needed to the maps and routes below.
        (Edit: make that four detours -- 45 will be closed between Helmsburg and Beanblossom. Easy-peasy detour.)

Bedford 1 - 280 miles
        https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...rd-1-280mi?u=i

Starting at the Rosemount Motel in Bedford. Nice paved twisty road track. 280 miles. Includes detour around 2021 construction on 145 south of Birdseye. This one mostly goes south of Bedford.

Bedford 2 - 305 miles

Nice scenic twisty road track starting at the Rosemount Motel in Bedford, Indiana. Paved. 305 miles is a lot, so choose where to cut off a loop by continuing on a main road as needed. Wesley Chapel Gulf, Orangeville Rise, Story, Tulip Trestle, etc. Includes small detour around construction on 135 for 2021. This one mostly goes north of Bedford.

BC North Short - 115 miles

About 115 miles, originating from Bedford, IN. Includes detours for 2021 construction that add about 12 miles. Nice shorter route, mostly north of Bedford.

Bedford Borden Blunk Bash - 258 miles

Intense Twisty Route. Contains error in up and down loops around Borden: Souders Road is closed/nonexistent; follow alternates. Mostly southeast of Bedford.

BC Rally Southern Classic - 289 miles

Starting from Bedford, IN, the classic southern route. Incredibly scenic and twisty. Includes route around 2021 construction on 145 south of Birdseye. South of Bedford, obviously. Closely related to Bedford 1.
        Last edited by bwringer; 06-08-2021, 04:46 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

A few more items:

Due to a few intrusions of dull reality, a few folks have had to drop out, and I should have one opening for a single room if anyone wants it. Email me at brian@bwringer.com .

Most folks are veterans, but as a reminder, and for the few newbies, I'll say a few words about how we generally do things at this shambolic unorganized gathering. Basically, we've learned that the safest way to proceed is to make the actual riding as close to your "normal" riding as possible, and remove as many factors that lead to "groupthink" as possible. We've very consistently found that the less things are organized, the safer everyone is, the more fun everyone has, and (importantly) the less work I and others need to do.

- As far as the actual riding, I put most of what I know into this article: https://tro.bike/motorcycle-safety/group-ride-leader/

- Ride ONLY in SMALL GROUPS or even BY YOURSELF. This is the most critical. Parades are stupid, no fun, and stupidly dangerous. Three is good, maaaaaaybe six at a maximum if you all know each other well. Again, feel free to wander off by yourself and explore if that's what you feel like that day. Go look at a cave, or do tourist stuff if you want.

- Groups are ad-hoc, fluid, and fairly random. If you have a GPS or can read a map, offer to lead a few like-minded folks. Talk to each other, please. Feel free to hop between groups or strike out on your own; just tell folks what you're up to, please.

- Pass and be passed; the idea is to stretch out and create space between riders. Again, parades, formations, hand signals, road captains and suchlike SUUUUUUCK all the fun out of riding, plus they are STUPID dangerous. Read my article for more on how this works.

- If you remember nothing else, engrave this on your soul: Thou Shalt Stay The Hell Away From Each Other. Strive for the ideal of a school bus of space minimum between each rider when in motion. Riders in front wait for the followers at turns and stops. Simple.

- You are on your own. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE AND MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES. This is all strictly choose your own adventure. Absolutely nothing is organized ahead of time. This makes things a lot safer for everyone. And coincidentally, makes for a lot less work for me...

- I'll provide some paper maps, there are GPX files above, but again, where you go, what you see, where you eat, and how you ride are strictly your own choices. Are you seeing the theme here? Seek the information you need to make your own plans. Try not to be that "oh, I dunno, I'll just follow someone's tail light" sort of rider.

- All that said about un-planning, we usually order a stupid amount of pizza on Friday, and this year there will likely be an ad-hoc disorganized picnic on Saturday. For Thursday, nothing is planned for dinner, so scatter and forage. All other meals are scatter and forage as well, although Jay usually puts out a nice bit of continental breakfast.

- Bring some damn cash, willya? You'll need about $10 per head per meal if you want in on the pizza slaughter and cookout. Also, backwoods gas stations are usually OK with plastic for gas, but you're going to get a hard "nope" when you try to charge that $1.58 for a water and a pack of gum on your big city card. There are even some small town restaurants that only take cash. Hit the ATM and tuck $100 or so into your wallet, and rural life will go smoother.
          Last edited by bwringer; 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM.
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

One other note: a segment of IN-45 a bit west of IN-135 just closed between Beanblossom and Helmsburg.

The workarounds are pretty easy; take Railroad Rd. north from 45 to 135. It pops out onto 135 just north of Beanblossom. Or, turn south on Helmsburg Road for a nice back way into Nashville.

Pretty easy to see on a map:
            Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Yes, but if you take into consideration 40% of the day is night. And there's a 70% chance of rain. That leaves a 30% chance of rain during the day... Also 80% of the time it rains is after 6:00pm . So 30% - 20% is a 10% chance of rain during the day... 🌞
              Hmmm, I'm not sure it works that way Norm. Anyway, let's hope for some dry riding. Rain gear will be added to the luggage anyway.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Got a double room open if anyone needs a last-minute bunk! Email me: brian@bwringer.com
                Last edited by bwringer; 06-08-2021, 06:00 PM.
                Eat more venison.

Comment

My number is 812-736-2927, if anyone heads south towards the Corydon/Tell City area on friday and wants to meet up give me a call or text!

Comment

Why don’t you just come up to Bedford? You’re more than welcome
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Have fun! Ride safe!!
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My number is 812-736-2927, if anyone heads south towards the Corydon/Tell City area on friday and wants to meet up give me a call or text!
                        Just put the number in my phone. You never know when you might need some guidance.

Don't know yet what routes I will be traveling. But like Scott said, c'mon up to Bedford and meet a lot of nice people.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I expect weather will play a role in the Friday morning route "planning". But I'll give you a heads up if it looks like we're heading south.
                          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Have stuff gathered up, and starting to carry out to bike. Departure time approaching.
                            Mid 80s and quite humid . . . and starting to sprinkle. Pop up showers in forecast.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I will pack / prep tonight and tomorrow morning -
                              Looks like I will be following the rain to Bedford -
                              Maybe it can be avoided - TBD -
                              Friday - Saturday - Sunday look to be magnificent -
                              Thursday is a travel day for me - just need to arrive trouble free -
                              See ya'll tomorrow sometime somewhere -- If ya see a guy on a BLUE/BLACK 850L ?
                              That would be me so wave and give the GS greeting sign --

Last edited by Wingsconsin; 06-09-2021, 03:39 PM.
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Yep, looks like the Friday/Saturday/Sunday forecasts just improved greatly to "nearly ideal", and Thursday improved to 40%. On a warm day, that will mean scattered bits of weather, so I'll take it.
                                Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                                X