Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Count me in - tentatively. I'd have two others in tow.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G - "Blackbird"
    sigpic
    Progressive Fork Springs; Gas piggyback shocks; Electrosport Stator; Dyna 3 Ohm Coils; Shindengen SH775 Series Regulator/Rectifier; Avon Road-Rider Tires; Salty Monk Front Brake Mod [CBR Aftermarket Rotors, Concours Calipers / Master Cylinder]; Steel brake lines
    [Much Love to my wrenching Jedis: TheCafeKid, Steve, Dogma; without you, Bird's awesomeness would remain unrealized.]
    http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...psef4f3ca6.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyBLankworthy View Post
      Count me in - tentatively. I'd have two others in tow.
      Sounds great! It's always nice seeing you guys.👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I've been wanting to get to this for five years now. I'm hesitant to say anything, but it looks like it may happen this time!

Things that are making it seem as if it may actually work.

My son is riding so it won't be a solo trip. He'll ride the GS and I'll ride the FJR.
        My wife wants to go, but doesn't want the saddle sore bum. She'll drive a car and carry luggage and snacks.
        Uncle Sam has decided I gave too generously last year and doesn't want the excess.
        Same for the state of NM, which is really odd.
        Work has been steady all through winter.

We'll likely stop in Oklahoma and break it up into two long-ish days. Maybe take our time and break it into three days.

Sure hoping this isn't some pipe dream. It would mean a lot to be able to do this. Fingers crossed!
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          . . . . .. . . . . . . it looks like it may happen this time!. . . . . . . . .
          Good ! Good !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good to hear, Roger! Hope it all works out.

Things are looking pretty hopeful, I think; vaccination in Indiana is actually proceeding more rapidly than anticipated. They opened up appointments for 50 year olds last week, and I'm signed up for jabbing. By the start of May my immune system tuneup should be complete.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Good to hear, Roger! Hope it all works out.

Things are looking pretty hopeful, I think; vaccination in Indiana is actually proceeding more rapidly than anticipated. They opened up appointments for 50 year olds last week, and I'm signed up for jabbing. By the start of May my immune system tuneup should be complete.
              Damn, must be nice! I'm 58 and they're saying at least a couple of months for us down this way.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

This is on the radar. Looking like a light work load is coming for this summer, hope to be vaccinated by June. My employer wants us all to be vaccinated by late April early May...
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hoping to make it this year. Vaccinations on board. Only problem may be if I am in the middle of a move to Colorado. If already moved, it will be a nice road trip!
                  Bob
                  Current:
                  2008 BMW R1200RT
                  Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
                  1979 Suzuki GS550E
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G
                  1980 Suzuki GS850G
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100E
                  2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
                  2004 BMW R1150 RT
                  2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

We've blocked off nearly two weeks in June to make this trip. So Stoked!

Lots to do to get both bikes ready for a journey like this. Need to find rain gear, get another Sena for my son, book motels and/ or find campsites.

I May need some input from folks who have ridden the roads between New Mexico and Indiana. We'd like to avoid interstates as much as possible and are planning three days travel to and from the rally. Our plan is leave Albuquerque on Monday and arrive Wednesday night or early Thursday. Head home Sunday or Monday and arrive back in Albuquerque no later than Wednesday. I'll take the rest of that week off, but my son has to get back to work.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

We've blocked off nearly two weeks in June to make this trip. So Stoked!

Lots to do to get both bikes ready for a journey like this. Need to find rain gear, get another Sena for my son, book motels and/ or find campsites.

I May need some input from folks who have ridden the roads between New Mexico and Indiana. We'd like to avoid interstates as much as possible and are planning three days travel to and from the rally. Our plan is leave Albuquerque on Monday and arrive Wednesday night or early Thursday. Head home Sunday or Monday and arrive back in Albuquerque no later than Wednesday. I'll take the rest of that week off, but my son has to get back to work.
                      Your planning to come to IN? Now I have no excuse not to make it. Maybe I'll follow you back so I can visit my best friend out in Burque'.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I May need some input from folks who have ridden the roads between New Mexico and Indiana. We'd like to avoid interstates as much as possible and are planning three days travel to and from the rally. Our plan is leave Albuquerque on Monday and arrive Wednesday night or early Thursday.
                        Suffer for just a bit, take I-40 to Tucumcari. Get on US54. Follow it to Jefferson City, MO, where you will catch US50. When you get to Bedford, IN, US50 will take an exit to the right, then fly to the left over the road you are on, which is Business Route 50. The motel is 2.3 miles on your left.

The roads themselves are not all that exciting, certainly not before you get to Missouri, but there is a lot of historical stuff, if that interests you at all.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

. . . .

I May need some input from folks who have ridden the roads between New Mexico and Indiana. We'd like to avoid interstates as much as possible and are planning three days travel to and from the rally. . . . . . . . .
                          Good to hear that plans are progressing.

I too was going to suggest that you consider US50.
                          That was my major route on my ride-the-RT-home-from-SanDiego in 2019, US50 From central Utah to Western Indiania was the plan (but plans changed in Missouri, and from there involved a rented pickup truck).
                          I chose US50 because it was not Interstate type for the most part, and not many large citys, but was interstate type thru what major citys there were, and had the added attraction of going right to Bedford. Other added benifit for me is that it was the ONE road that went most of the way across, which was convienent to me since I didnt plot a turn-by-turn gps route. Other benifit is that were a few places where could swap over to I40 for a distance if any benifit to that.
                          US 50 would bypass around most small towns in the flat farm lands, but could also go into-thru the town on local road if wanted a change or needed to stop for something. Some places were two lane (thin red line), other places was divided (but not limited access, thicker yellow-red line). But, overall, like Steve said, wasnt anything that was a great attaction along that route you would take. THe best part was Utah and western Colorado. Biggest adavantage to you is that it is not interstate (except for KansasCity, StLouis).

Monarch Pass (contential divide) was quite an expereince, something like 11thousand feet to something like 4thousand feet in something like 10 miles. Was seeing snow and skiiers and moose in first week of June. That is between Montrose and Salida CO, so probably too far west for you.

If Salida CO, itself, is not too far west for you, when you go east from there, US50 follows the Arkansas river for about 30 miles, And I mean it follows along theside of the river, like right next to it, like edge of road, shoulder, and rocks, then flowing water. River running fast and high, with snow melting at higer elevation. Good riding expereince. ALthough when I was there 1st week of June (2019), the motel said the next two-three weeks was the busiest part of the year, booked solid, with some annaul national canoe race-rally on the river.

(Maybe have a seperate thread for this discussion.)
                          (hee hee. You got a guy from Ohio, and a guy from Michigan, telling you about riding from NewMexico to Indiana.)
                          Last edited by Redman; 03-14-2021, 04:34 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sounds like this year may have a fantastic turnout! Already booked the days off at work. Now to decide which bike to ride there!

Looking forward to seeing some old friends again, and meeting some new ones!
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

IF...I've been vaccinated, there is a high probability I'll be there.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Suffer for just a bit, take I-40 to Tucumcari. Get on US54. Follow it to Jefferson City, MO, where you will catch US50. When you get to Bedford, IN, US50 will take an exit to the right, then fly to the left over the road you are on, which is Business Route 50. The motel is 2.3 miles on your left.

The roads themselves are not all that exciting, certainly not before you get to Missouri, but there is a lot of historical stuff, if that interests you at all.

That's fewer roads that it takes me to go to work!

It's really looking like it's shaping up to be a great rally!

Jedz, or anyone else (Rich). You're more than welcome to stay at my pad. I have beds and shower.

Maybe we can meet up at Steve's house like past rallies. I always liked seeing what Steve is working on.

Indy Bob moving to Colorado! That has to be exciting! What part of Colorado?

Roger, buy a expensive Rain Suit. The more expensive, the less chance you'll need it! 😃
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X