Sidecar on the T120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidecar on the T120

We'll I'm starting a documentation thread of converting my 2018 Bonneville T120 over to a sidecar rig.

As many know I recently adopted a dog this past month and she has become quite bonded to me. We very much enjoy our car rides together and she especially loves sticking her head out the window while going down the road for sometimes, hours on end.

So I'm currently looking at doing this setup myself, I will likely buy a new side car from this website: http://www.rtsidecars.com/Classical-...rocketteer.htm the reason being is I am having a very hard time finding one use in my area...

I have ordered a 15' rear rim from a Speedmaster so I can run a car 165 80 15 rear car tire. I also ordered a rear 130 70R17 for the front, double darkside which was the recommendations I was offered for the getup.

I'll post more once the bits come in and I start putting things together.

I do have to note that having a dog is such a phenomenal experience. We had family dogs growing up but it's a whole new experience with my own canine and not having to share with my parents and 6 other siblings. So much love, so much partnership. Very symbiotic. I'm very motivated to get a side car rig set for the spring and can't wait to bring her with my on all my motorcycle adventures.

Cheers!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Looking forward to this!
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Looks like it sits up pretty high compared to other ones I've seen but overall it's a good looking unit.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

So I used my JedzMoto network and asked some close friends I've met through it to keep an eye out for me... last night "Ping!" I get an email from one of my buddies and had found a used Watsonian Monza side car rig. The price is much lower than budget and the tub is in really good shape with the alloy rim. So I put money down to hold it and as soon as I can have my good friend look at it and confirm its looks as good in person as it does over the pictures we will be good to go! It has the roof vynal and snap cover and an additional fuel cell.... Going to work out well for what I need it for.

Good news as it's a premium tub and I'm getting it for a fraction of what my budget was, score!

Info on the tub: https://www.watsonian-squire.com/pro...monza-sidecar/
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

There is a guy here in Vancouver with a sidecar and a dog I see from time to time in the summer..... He's got the dog wearing goggles and one of those old style aviator helmets.... You'd think the dog would be pawing to get them off but he appears to not care.... And the dog loves the attention he gets when parked from the sidewalk admirers .....
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            There is a guy here in Vancouver with a sidecar and a dog I see from time to time in the summer..... He's got the dog wearing goggles and one of those old style aviator helmets.... You'd think the dog would be pawing to get them off but he appears to not care.... And the dog loves the attention he gets when parked from the sidewalk admirers .....
            Doggles....https://woof.doggles.com/

I need a pair for our pup in the little two seater. He already has a harness and seatbelt restraint.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Have you ever piloted a 3-wheeled device?

Be prepared for a COMPLETELY different experience.

And having the third wheel on just one side (as opposed to equal-distant on a trike setup) just adds that "extra touch of excitement".

As others have mentioned or hinted, Doggles and a restraint are highly recommended.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That Monza is one sharp looking set-up!
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

So I've been and will continue my work on my 3 wheeled build (and Doggie training) with Pete Burke.

Pete's Website Travels with Barley

And The BMW MOA podcast episode of Pete and his travels on a side car and his pup

My good friend and podcast host of the BMW MOA podcast; Wes, joined me up with Pete last week and now Pete and I are working on both the technical aspect of the build, modifying the tub for the pup, acquiring the needed equipment and also good training techniques I'm now working on with Zola. He said the pups have a hard time hearing on the tub so we are working tying her current commands to hand signals and man she is picking it up fast!

I have not ridden a side car rig but have operated a few 3 wheelers in my time, from the Can-am Ryker to a the Honda ATC125 and the larger 400. I understand the dynamics of the side car rig and Ryan made a great video on what to expect.

Yes I understand... 3 wheelers are not motorcycles and that the T120 will be transformed into a new vehicle; a sidecar rig... It will be a new machine and I also will need to amend it's registration specifications with the DMV. Definitely understand that... However I think the T120's new life will be fun and the prospect of the change will be worth it. Sure it won't be as fast, handle as well ( or should I say correctly) and it won't stop as quickly but if I can bring my new best friend with me everywhere, the endeavor is going to be well worth it...

So yeah Lab, that Monza was a STEAL! Very excited to get a properly made rig and it will compliment the T120 very well, apparently it's original tug was a Guzzi and it had no issue or struggle with moving it around. As the T120 is in the 90WHP and 90 ft/lbs of torque at 2.8K RPM with all the modifications I've done, I'm fairly confident it will work out well!

Well I'm off to go take the pup for another walk in the snow and work on some more hand signals. Pocket full of treats and poop bags (loving this new chapter in my life).

I'll update the build progress as parts land.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

So, is your wife jealous of all the attention you're giving the dog instead of her? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Not at all since the dog was a gift from my wife. If anything it has strengthened our relationship and allowed us to experience being a family unit for the first time. It has been exceptional for my wife and I. Zola loves her Mommy and is very protective of her, they too have a special bond. My wife absolutely loves the dog and we often do things together as the 3 of us.
                      Since My wife and I are unable to have biological children bringing Zola into our lives has enriched it for the both of us, we are full of love and happiness... I didn't think it would be possible to enjoy our lives together more but it is...

Dogs are just awesome.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Good for you Jedz!
                        There are several guys here on the island that have sidecar rigs for their dogs. At least a couple are veterans with support dogs. I have a dog and have often thought about getting a sidecar...but she is 12....I've told my wife that when we get another dog I will be buying a sidecar unit. I can't think of anything better to do than ride with my dog.
                        No signature

Comment

You don't need to use a sidecar... https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Wc&sclient=img

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                            Those won't work for me. 60lbs dog and still growing, she'll need the side car especially when we go across the country.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              Good for you Jedz!
                              There are several guys here on the island that have sidecar rigs for their dogs. At least a couple are veterans with support dogs. I have a dog and have often thought about getting a sidecar...but she is 12....I've told my wife that when we get another dog I will be buying a sidecar unit. I can't think of anything better to do than ride with my dog.
                              Thanks Trev!
                              After several back and forths with Pete and other Triumph Bonneville owners that have side car rigs on their bikes (for their dogs too) I'm really looking forward with going this route. Can't wait to explore this new branch of motorcycling!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X