No announcement yet.

Sidecar on the T120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rex specs came in, just did an hour of snow shoeing with them on and no issues. She did have a bit of a meltdown after the first few minutes of wearing them but I will get her in the habit of wearing them when we go out side together.

Also moved the side car to the back shed today... I will start working on the tug this evening and tomorrow.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Not much to update on... still plugging away on the TUG, Reserve tank should be in today and I'll plumb that into the Tug, 4 gallons which will effectively double my fuel capacity. Hope is to get 200 mile range with both tanks, that means I'm hopeful to get a conservative 25MPG on the rig. Won't know until we start riding! It will be installed in the Vetter top case I acquired with the vetter fairing for $30 (with matching keys!). I mocked up a fuel tank I use to sync carbs to see if a gravity feed would work for fuel transfer from the cell to the main tank... Bingo! worked great. So I will install the fuel cell once it lands.

The install of the Vetter is done and I used a modified FZ6 fairing mount to mount the Vetter to the frame. The Vetter fits perfect and I didn't have to relocate my steering stabilizer!
      Waiting on a new LED circle headlight but the fairing is wired in including a USB charge cable!

So today I'll be cleaning up my shop and awaiting for parts to land. I ran out of Propane finally in the shop so I have to fill my 100# tank today. More single digit temps lingering here in New England.

As for the Pup, we are still training with the RexSpecs. We do daily snowshoe hikes as my land is connected to the VAST snowmobile trail and a vast network of trails through neighboring woods and farm lands. We stopped by the back shed to check on Zola's sidecar and she immediately wanted to go in for a ride...

Just a couple more months of winter...
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Teach her to fetch you a beer yet? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Rex specs came in,.

what was the deciding factor on Rex Specs over another brand (e.g. Doggles)?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Have you ever piloted a 3-wheeled device?

Be prepared for a COMPLETELY different experience.

And having the third wheel on just one side (as opposed to equal-distant on a trike setup) just adds that "extra touch of excitement".

As others have mentioned or hinted, Doggles and a restraint are highly recommended.

I've only just seen this thread so a bit late. In UK we used to have these.

Red Devil Motors: Sidewinder learner sidecar

Absolutely did not change the characteristics of the bike attached. I remember following one of these rigs and it id didn't slow the guy down at all, at speed it used to bounce up and down as if it wasn't there.
            I would not consider a side car but if i did I'd build it somehow like this. As a bike mech many years ago I would have to road test the occasional sidecar and it was always an unnatural and scary experience.
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

So I did abandon this project as my poor puppers cannot stand being around a running motorcycle and I love my T120 too much to not ride it as God intended... 84K miles strong and still running along.

I am though looking at a pivoting sidecar rig this weekend that is attached to a Goldwing. Would be an even trade deal with the Harley. Bike has "electric issues" So it might be a bit of a project to get it back up and running but it would be a great rig for us (Dog, Wife and me). I'm looking at liquidating some inventory this year... Who knows.

Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Be VERY cautious with the Goldwing with "electric issues". Those four-cylinder Wings have a charging system similar to the GS and have the same problems. "No biggie" you say? If it's a charging issue, consider that you have to remove the engine from the frame to change the stator. If it charges OK, but has other problems, they are easily fixed, and an SH775 R/R would be a good upgrade.
                If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                  Be VERY cautious with the Goldwing with "electric issues". Those four-cylinder Wings have a charging system similar to the GS and have the same problems. "No biggie" you say? If it's a charging issue, consider that you have to remove the engine from the frame to change the stator. If it charges OK, but has other problems, they are easily fixed, and an SH775 R/R would be a good upgrade.
                  From what the PO is saying it's sounds like a bad starter solenoid, bike turns on but starter wont start when the button is pushed.
                  I'll have my voltmeter on me for the inspection. If it looks hosed I'll walk but if it looks usable or fixable I'll jump on it.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Here is a couple pics of a unison sidecar that I built a couple years ago. Very short learning curve to ride with it.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                      Here is a couple pics of a unison sidecar that I built a couple years ago. Very short learning curve to ride with it.

V
                      That thing is genius man!
                      Did you use a bearing or bushings for the pivot points?
                      I have to admit I have looked at these pictures for the better part of an hour or two in other threads trying to figure out how it all worked.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I used the ends of 3 point hitch linkage for tractors. They use a 3/4” pin, which I used and was a live and learn mistake, the pins were not a close enough fit and created unwanted slop in the pivot points. But still did 1600 miles with passenger and load. The swing arm is out of a DS 80 and needs to be heavier, the shocks off a scrap small 4+4 scoot. It needs in the picture a limiting chain or device to the right….that is another story.

Information on the unison sidecar is very limited, and I gotta say it is made out of scrap. Was able to do big sweepers at 80 plus to keep up with CharlieG. The bike served up 35 mpg not letting the moss grow so to speak.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                          From what the PO is saying it's sounds like a bad starter solenoid, bike turns on but starter wont start when the button is pushed.
                          I'll have my voltmeter on me for the inspection. If it looks hosed I'll walk but if it looks usable or fixable I'll jump on it.
                          Be sure that the problem is there and not the starter sprag clutch, a not too uncommon issue after 30+ years. Not an expensive fix but it does require the engine to be out of the frame.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                          X