GS1100/650 parts interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100/650 parts interchange?

Hello all, so I have 2 1983 GS1100GK bikes, one of which I am turning into a standard G. I have been offered 2 1984 GS650G bikes for free, one a rusted yard art piece and one a 'stored indoors' restorable one, both sight unseen. My question is if any parts would transfer over to the 1100s? In 'standardizing' the 1100 I would need headlight, headlight stays, seat, signals, pegs, shocks and maybe forks/triples?
    Would I be correct in assuming the frame/fork setup is smaller or lighter than the 1100?

Not a lot is the answer and none of the bits you listed there other than the lights.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So basically signal lights and maybe headlight?

Comment

Originally posted by TitanNeil View Post
        So basically signal lights and maybe headlight?
        maybe choke cable. maybe throttle cable.

Note: GK forks are bigger diameter and are further apart than any other model, including 1100G, such that even 1100G headlight mounting will not fit on GK.
        Forks and triple and front fender are unique to the GK.

Oh, another thing that could fit from 650G to the 1100G/GK is the hub in the rear wheel.
        Last edited by Redman; 01-16-2021, 09:15 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ok, thanks. I don't think I will pursue the 650's right now, I am loaded down with bike projects and should just get on with finishing them. Hard to turn down a free Suzuki GS though...
          2 months ago I had no GS's, now I have 2 GK's and a standard G frame ready to make, I think, one nice GK and one nice G. I'm returning to my roots - had a GS1100G in 1992 as my first road bike.

Comment

One other thing that will transfer from the 650 to the 1100GK is the cap on the tire's valve stem.

As others have noted, not much else.

The 1100GK is a unique beast. The frame has all the mounting points for the fairing and rear luggage. The forks are larger than any other GS, and they are set farther apart, as Redman noted. The tank is the same as other 1100Gs but the seat is different. Several other details, as well, but those are the highlights.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X