Valve Stem Seals Won't Come Out - Edit: they came out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Stem Seals Won't Come Out - Edit: they came out

Hello all. I'm workin on my 1979 GS850G engine right now, doing a top end rebuild. There are two valve stem seals that will not come out. I'm using a valve stem seal removal tool that worked fine for all the other ones, but as I stated, these last two will not budge. Admittedly the removal tool is pretty cheap, spent about $17 on it. I'm wondering a couple things,

1. is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to grip the seals with the tool and then I'm pulling, but the tool doesn't seem to grip these seals well at all, slips off when I pull.

2. Maybe the tool is the problem. Is there a specific tool that you guys use that seems to work super well?
    Last edited by RustyTank; 01-23-2021, 04:55 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

The metal cased seals occasionally become very stubborn. If I strike one that won't come off any other way, I split the thin steel outer shell with a small screwdriver ground to a sharp chisel edge.

Just sit it on the shoulder of the seal case and tap with a small hammer. Once the shell is split it will lift off easily.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      The metal cased seals occasionally become very stubborn. If I strike one that won't come off any other way, I split the thin steel outer shell with a small screwdriver ground to a sharp chisel edge.

Just sit it on the shoulder of the seal case and tap with a small hammer. Once the shell is split it will lift off easily.
      Thanks Greg. I used your method and it worked well with one of the remaining two stem seals. The other one though, holy moly! I really had to tear the ever lovin sh** out of it to get it out of there
      In any event, they're all out now.
      Ryan

Comment

Propane torch or heat gun to soften the rubber. Doesnt take much
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Propane torch or heat gun to soften the rubber. Doesnt take much
          Ah! A heat gun! I didn't think of that. Well, now I know for next time. Thanks Chuck
          Ryan

Comment

Be careful with any impact around the seals and guides. It doesn't take much to snap a guide.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Be careful with any impact around the seals and guides. It doesn't take much to snap a guide.
              Yeah Steve, thank you. I was also concerned about that. Seems to have worked though. Couple of very, very small nicks at the top of the guide. I'm not sure if I did that or not.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
              X