Air filter cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air filter cage

So here is the story. This spring I got my 82 GS650GL to a stage 3 (I think) with individual pods and main and pilot jet 2 sizes bigger. I didn’t knew at the time that I would need to modify the carburetor to have optimal performance. So im putting everything back to stock. Unfortunately, I don’t know why but I appears that I threw away the air filter cage, the plastic support that you put the air filter on. Anybody has an idea as to what I could use instead? Or 3D blueprints for a printer? Or just one lying around? Or where I could find one? Every time I find an airbox for sale either its too expensive or it doesn’t have the support. Thanks for the help!

L.Leblanc
    1982 GS650GL

Originally posted by Simonak3000 View Post
    So here is the story. This spring I got my 82 GS650GL to a stage 3 (I think) with individual pods and main and pilot jet 2 sizes bigger. I didn’t knew at the time that I would need to modify the carburetor to have optimal performance. So im putting everything back to stock. Unfortunately, I don’t know why but I appears that I threw away the air filter cage, the plastic support that you put the air filter on. Anybody has an idea as to what I could use instead? Or 3D blueprints for a printer? Or just one lying around? Or where I could find one? Every time I find an airbox for sale either its too expensive or it doesn’t have the support. Thanks for the help!

L.Leblanc
    1982 GS650GL
    Okay so, I did the same thing with the same bike. You cant buy them by themselves and yes its usually sold with the airbox. There is a guy on here who might have one. Jeez I feel bad for not remembering his account he helped me out ALOT with things i wasnt able to find.

It's hard to make a frame but dont let me discourage you!
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      Okay so, I did the same thing with the same bike. You cant buy them by themselves and yes its usually sold with the airbox. There is a guy on here who might have one. Jeez I feel bad for not remembering his account he helped me out ALOT with things i wasnt able to find.

It's hard to make a frame but dont let me discourage you!

Nice! If you happen to remember who it is let me know! It really is a weird situation!

Comment

His name is burque73, I hope he doesnt mind me putting that out just let him know your situation and he might possibly have one. It could've been a stroke of luck but the three times I could not find what i needed at all he had them laying around. Best of luck!
        Last edited by timebombprod; 01-21-2021, 05:08 AM.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          His name is burque73, I hope he doesnt mind me putting that out just let him know your situation and he might possibly have one. It could've been a stroke of luck but the two times I could not find what i needed at all he had them laying around. Best of luck!
          I don't mind, Ian. Sorry to say, but that part is long gone. I think I have an airbox with filter cage for a 750, no 650 though.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            I don't mind, Ian. Sorry to say, but that part is long gone. I think I have an airbox with filter cage for a 750, no 650 though.

Darn! Dont know how the 750 one looks to be honest but im guessing it's not a correct fit.

Simon I'm not sure what material should be used to make a frame but I know the airbox does have the two fittings for the air filter frame molded in on the cover and box, if the length could be figured out (I have one) maybe it could be a possibility? If you'd want to try I'll get the measurements and take pics of it.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Thanks, that would be perfect, ill try to see if one from a 750 will fit

Comment

I just checked and unfortunately no, the 750 doesn’t fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonak3000 View Post
                  I just checked and unfortunately no, the 750 doesn’t fit.
                  Easy to make one out of hardware cloth/chicken wire....”D” shaped at both ends to fit ...let me know if you need dimensions
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

1B8FF123-F595-4743-85CF-77BD6CBA12AE.jpg

iPad fighting me today
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom might get to you first as I'm picking up a bunch of sound equipment today, but I'm still gonna get back to my bike later, I'll be of assistance later forsure if you still need it!
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]62296[/ATTACH]

iPad fighting me today
                        Nice! Are you interested in selling it to me? Can you contact me in private? Louis Leblanc on Facebook, im from Québec and my picture is me on the wing of a plane

Comment

22D069A9-B07B-4D49-9967-053A238697B0.jpgSell it?? My bike might need it....
                          If you respond to my email ..thoranthoran@gmail.com
                          i can offer two decent size pics
                          i have been told that Suzuki used to supply a new cage with filter element.....but I’m unsure if they still do.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Ok, I sent you an email, I will happily take the pictures

Comment

Chiming in here as I have the same issue with a different model...it's an '82 GS450T with original airbox, but missing the filter cage as described here. It would be great to devise a DIY solution, from my conversations with friends it sounds like a lot of folks are getting sick of tinkering with pod filters and are moving back to the stock configuration.

The cage itself doesn't look terribly intricate but it would be helpful to trace exact dimensions/understand how rigid the piece needs to be. Maybe there's a similar part for a newer bike that would be easier to source? The only valid options I've found involve international sellers (I am located in USA).
                              1526651222image-500x500.jpg

Al
                              1982 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                              X