Best way to clean exhaust ports - 79 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clean exhaust ports - 79 GS850

Hello. I currently have the top end of my 1979 GS850G taken apart. I'd like to clean the ports, wondering what the best way to do that is? Here are some pics of the outside of exhaust ports 1 and 4. I'm assuming that all that black crud built up there is old gasket material? Again, what's the best way to get this stuff off? It's hardened on there pretty good. Is this work better suited for a machine shop?

Last edited by RustyTank; 01-22-2021, 12:21 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Don't worry about the black stuff, just get the old gaskets out of there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Don't worry about the black stuff.
      I hope you'll excuse me Steve, I tend to be a bit neurotic when it comes to communication, I just want to make sure I understand. Are you saying not to worry about cleaning the inside?

just get the old gaskets out of there
      So that is what I'm lookin at there in the pics, the old gasket material?
      Ryan

Comment

Don't worry about the black stuff, just get the old gaskets out of there.
        Using a pair of needle nose pliers, pulled this out of #1. That must be the old gasket then, huh?

Last edited by RustyTank; 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM.
        Ryan

Comment

I have found using a Plumber's Wire Brush. You know the ones they use for cleaning copper fittings. That will remove the hard stuff. Then I use some 120 grit sandpaper with my finger to clean it up. Since you have the head off, might as well Decarbon it...
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

[QUOTE=storm 64;2638450]I have found using a Plumber's Wire Brush. You know the ones they use for cleaning copper fittings. That will remove the hard stuff. Then I use some 120 grit sandpaper with my finger to clean it up.[QUOTE=storm 64;2638450]

Great info. I'm not familiar with that particular brush, I'll have to look it up. Thanks storm.

[QUOTE=storm 64;2638450]Since you have the head off, might as well Decarbon it.[QUOTE=storm 64;2638450]

That's where my head was at...no pun intended
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              I have found using a Plumber's Wire Brush. You know the ones they use for cleaning copper fittings.
              Storm, do you mean something like this?

Ryan

Comment

This is what I talking about. Nothing fancy, just a good stiff brush. 👍
                Attached Files
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Rusty
                  We still don't know what bike you're working on, because you still haven't created a signature.

But, It looks like you've pulled more than one gasket out of #1 port. I've read of some people doubling them up. Which I suppose is what you do if one of your header pipes is tweaked out of line with the others. Whatever works, I guess. Just dig them all out and replace with new. They're like a crush washer, single use. Without the exhaust gasket, the port should look like my pic below. (Ignore the bolt welded to the broken bolt. That was a beautiful thing, when then weld finally held and the broken bolt came out)
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    Rusty
                    We still don't know what bike you're working on, because you still haven't created a signature.
                    Fair point about my signature, but I did mention the bike I'm working on in the first post in this thread. I'll make sure I fix my signature
                    Thanks Rich.
                    Ryan

Comment

Within thirty seconds of startup, the exhaust port will have another coating of carbon.

It's seriously not worth worrying about much, and on a reasonably healthy bike, it's somewhat self-limiting. Carbon seems to build up only to a certain point.

Don't damage the brass valve guides or the aluminum head by getting silly with a steel brush.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Sandblasting or bead blasting will do good job of cleaning them up .
                        1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Within thirty seconds of startup, the exhaust port will have another coating of carbon.

It's seriously not worth worrying about much, and on a reasonably healthy bike, it's somewhat self-limiting. Carbon seems to build up only to a certain point.

Don't damage the brass valve guides or the aluminum head by getting silly with a steel brush.
                          I copy that bwringer. Thank you.
                          Last edited by RustyTank; 01-23-2021, 10:26 AM.
                          Ryan

Comment

But, It looks like you've pulled more than one gasket out of #1 port. I've read of some people doubling them up. Which I suppose is what you do if one of your header pipes is tweaked out of line with the others. Whatever works, I guess. Just dig them all out and replace with new. They're like a crush washer, single use. Without the exhaust gasket, the port should look like my pic below.
                            Yeah, that's what I thought. I even went and found a parts fische online to make sure I was right. When I pulled this weird thing out of port one it scared the sh** out of me, I thought I was accidentally pulling part of the head apart, lol. It was coming out like threads that've separated, like a slinky, then I reminded myself there shouldn't be anything threaded in the port. So yea, I don't know what the hell this thing was. I'll see what the others look like soon.

Rusty we still don't know what bike you're working on, because you still haven't created a signature.
                            I fixed that signature boss
                            Last edited by RustyTank; 01-23-2021, 10:53 AM.
                            Ryan

Comment

I’m nobody’s boss. Just giving you a very light-hearted hard time. Hope you took it in the friendly nature in which it was intended. Following because I always learn something here. And best of luck with your rebuild.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X