Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine oil leak

Edited post......to explain the model and re-post full size pic

Bought this bike, ...82 GS650Ez .........and it has an oil leak in the front between the headers. Would a head re-torque work?
    Last edited by 650Skull; 01-29-2021, 09:22 PM.
    82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
    Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
    Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
    Albums

Find the source first. Clean off all the oil and wait.
    Checking the torque won't do any harm but it's unlikely to be the fix.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

After you clean and dry everything, spray all gasket cracks from the breather tube to the base gasket with powdered foot spray. Start the bike and watch. Don’t ignore the cam chain tensioner gasket, and tachometer drive input oring where it enters the head (or valve cover, depending on model).
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah, oil from the back can and does creep forward. Clean it up, powder it up, and see whatchya got.

The tach cable fitting and the cam chain tensioner are common sources for leaks and you'll need to deal with them sooner or later.

Instructions for fixing these (bear in mind that things are a little different on your bike vs. the GS850 in the photos):

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

A head retorque is part of regular maintenance per the Suzuki factory service manual so it should be done regardless. Realize that you need to loosen the nuts enough to crack them loose before reversing direction and tightening them to spec using a torque wrench. It's good practice to do this with every valve adjustment.

Like mentioned by the others, clean the engine well and let it dry, then spray foot powder spray on all the gasket seams. Auto parts store engine degreasers and a stiff brush work well to remove the grime, and a leaf blower works well to dry the engine after cleaning.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Be suspicious of camshaft cover gasket....in that area, later model 650’s (like yours) had extra cover bolt there at cam tunnel. Failure to tighten cover bolts properly could result in leak.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm in a bit of a strange situation, just to explain myself and as to why there may not be a conclusion to my questions for some time. When i have solved the problem i will always post the solution

I live in Aus but the bike is in New Zealand at my sons house. I had intended to get over there and use the bike while in the country, but Covid-19 has put that on hold.

Thanks for the replies,

@bwringer great links.......i can tell you the taco drive seals and the Sleeve are the same going off Partzilla part no's. The seals and sleeve were used up till 2002 so the parts may be able to be sourced locally

Cam chain tension-er is different. 3 scew mount on the 850 and 2 screw mount on the 650Ez. Some parts are the same, and used up till 2000. again may be able to get locally in NZ

My son, (Kane), has already suspected the taco drive as he said it was loose.

Will do the clean up and oil trace first to work out where it comes from..........

Thanks, all and will update as things progress..........me on here.......get answers........send to NZ.........wait for the work to b done...(i like this idea),........info sent to Aus.........back on here........
              Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
              Albums

Comment

It would also be nice to know exactly what bike is being discussed. By the picture, it appears to be a 4-cylinder Suzuki, 1982 or newer. Yeah, your signature mentions an '82 650, but there are also other bikes, and this just might also be an unmentioned project that just rolled in, and is not worthy of mention in your signature.

Beyond that, all the others have already given you all the good tips on how to find and fix the problem.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  It would also be nice to know exactly what bike is being discussed. By the picture, it appears to be a 4-cylinder Suzuki, 1982 or newer. Yeah, your signature mentions an '82 650, but there are also other bikes, and this just might also be an unmentioned project that just rolled in, and is not worthy of mention in your signature.

Beyond that, all the others have already given you all the good tips on how to find and fix the problem.

edited first post for explanation and re-post pic

Yes an 82 GS650Ez as i my signature, it's the only Suzuki i have got, and have ever had actually.....Sorry, should have made myself clear in the first post.

Some of the bikes in my signature, some would say, aren't worthy of a mention........except me

Yes, good solutions. Thanks.
                  Last edited by 650Skull; 01-29-2021, 09:24 PM.
                  Albums

Comment

Working...
                  X