1986 gs450 information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 gs450 information

Hi, I have a relative that has been offered a 86 gs450 with 50,000 miles on the clock for £450 cosmetically decent which is a good price for one in the uk is there anything/ problems known with this model that he should be aware Of? Cheers
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

They weren't much changed from the earlier models except in looks (wheelbase a little longer, different valve cover, tank etc so he'd want to be careful getting parts) ..so generally he can browse around in here and learn the basics. He can peruse the Haynes manual on BikeCliff's site too It goes up to '87

Sounds like a decent deal if it runs well and charges the battery while doing so...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      Sounds like a decent deal if it runs well and charges the battery while doing so...
      Yes he says it runs ok and has a recent m.o.t. ( safety inspection yearly)
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Well, not to put fuel on flames because used bikes are probably the worst things to prognosticate on from a distance (hint to you-don't get blamed ) but a good 1986 here would go for way more than that, I think.(450# =about CAN$800 which would make even me look hard at it)

Comment

I'd think that to be a reasonable price if it's currently running. The only possible problem you could run into would be having to replace the emulsion tubes in the carbs, they where completely unobtainable for mine but luckily I didn't really need to replace them. Other than that, run a compression check. If the oil was kept up to proper levels and changed when it should have been wear shouldn't be an issue.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
          X