Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 450L Drum Squeeeeal

Hey guys and gals,
    Having an issue that's been annoying me for a few months now.

I bought EBC shoes for my 450's rear drum brakes a few months ago, but they squeal consistently all the time. I tried searching the forum, but couldn't unearth any good clues.

I've previously tried to resolve this by scuffing the metal brake surface with a rough scotch-brite to remove glazing, and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner after scuffing.

I don't know how long bedding in brakes is supposed to take, the brakes work well, but that odious squuuueeeal. Ugh.
    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

you can try chamfering the leading corners with a file..ie: file off the sharp 90 degree corner on the leading edge of the pad material just a little to see if that fixes it....

Be sure the brake shoe cam is functioning easily. ...its the thick pin that when turned actually force the pads out when you use the drum brake. I've had these stiffen and not allow the pads to fully disengage...which until i noticed it, caused me to re-adjust pedal play badly

Comment

I also received a tip to cut a slot across the middle of the drum shoe but have never tried it. I only really use the rear brake when stopped so I don't have any squealing issues myself.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

As Gorminrider mentioned, a very slight bevel at the front of the shoe solved a squeal i had on an old Honda rear drum.
        I also took the sharp edge off the sides.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Here's something else to consider. On my 82 which was a 450t there where three different sets of rims offered, one set was cast, one set was stamped and the third set is spoked. The cast and stamped wheels used a different set of brakes than the spoked rims did. Learned this unfortunate lesson after ordering a set of pads for a 450t instead of my submodel the 450txz, the diameter of the brake lining was larger on mine so the shoes didn't quite work out and had to make an exchange for the proper size. Not sure if this applies to the 450L or not but it might be something to look into.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Alright, resurrection time: Turns out this was due to the axle castle nut not being quite tight enough. Once I got it a bit tighter, the EBC shoes (which come pre-slotted, btw) have been quieter than a string-less piano.

All's good now, hope this helps someone else out. Thanks for your input on this, fellas.
            1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
            1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Oh! That's a "good one"^^^,free'. I can see that happening and causing it. In fact I'm making a note of all these that I haven't "heard" or used.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-13-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X