New to the Forum with an '83 GS850G, Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Forum with an '83 GS850G, Minnesota

Hello from Minnesota, I'm new to this forum! I bought my GS850g a few years back when I saw it on craigslist for a steal, not in the best shape ever but well worth what I paid and was a complete bike with most of it's stock components in tact. It had a few different questionable paint jobs layered on top of one another, and looked like it had been well loved. Didn't know much about the legacy of the GS series at the time, but something about the look and the feel of the bike just drew me to it. Got it running for a short season of riding a few years ago, and learned a whole lot about stators and rectifiers after a couple of push starts, but other than that it ran quite well.

After that, I went off to college and didn't have much of a chance to give it the restoration I wanted to. These pandemic days, my school life has become a lot more flexible, and with all the classes being online I've found myself with the time this winter to put in the work and make the bike what I want it to be. I've learned a lot working on it and am excited to share the progress with you all when I get the chance to work on it periodically. I've made quite a bit of progress so far.

This will only allow me to post one photo, so I'll go ahead and share a picture here from when I first got it. I've got some other pics of the lovely paint job I did when I was a teenager, and my current progress with how the bike looks at the moment, that I'll post wherever is appropriate when I have some more time. I plan to rectify my lovely blue rattle can job by starting from scratch with a much more well planned Indian Chief inspired 2-stage job that I'll be attempting in a month or two. Looking forward to asking some questions that have had me stumped that maybe you all can help with, and posting more pictures as this project draws to it's conclusion. Most Importantly, I'm looking forward to the ride. Cheers! Snapchat-332484147.jpg
    '83 Suzuki GS850G
    Minnesota

Welcome to the madhouse
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gn0hm. The 850 is a great engine.
      Insider tip, if you want to post more than one pic in a post use an image hosting site, like Flickr or even Google Photos, I use IMGUR myself.
      Last edited by RustyTank; 01-26-2021, 10:01 AM.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Congrats on the GS, looks pretty good to begin with, head'in in the right direction, keep it up, & welcome aboard.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

For now, until finding an image hosting site, you can click on your pic then copy/ paste into the post to enlarge it.

The '83 is my favorite of the 850's. I've never seen a two tone seat like that and kinda like it.

Welcome to the forum.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for the Tips! Funny you should mention the two tone seat, I liked it too but it was torn so I ran with it but made a new two-tone with a black and white color scheme. Here's a few images, one is the current look of the bike, which will be changing soon as well, but the seat is staying of course. The other two pics are an after/before of the midsection when I redid the electronics and repainted part of the frame.
            Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Gn0hm2.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Gn0hm2.

'83 Suzuki GS850G
            Minnesota

Comment

Wow, big improvement to the midsection in Before and After photos! Well done! Keep up the good work.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Gn0hm

Welcome. RE: pics. You've already got an Imgur account. That's great. Just a few more clicks from imgur (full site, not the app) to copy the BBCode and paste it into a post here. Then the pics show up at the size you choose and we don't have to click on them to see them (we're a lazy bunch). Details linked in my signature of how to do this.

Also, please go ahead and create a signature. Go to Settings at the upper right of any page. You'll figure it out from there. Most people put, at the very least, their bike make and model in a signature. It's much appreciated here.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome to the site.
                  White seat cover? No way i would be able to keep that clean.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to TheGSR.

Sounds like you have done a lot of repairs and work on bike already.
                      And now you found THeGSR.

Are you saying you fabricated that seat cover.....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Welcome to TheGSR.

Sounds like you have done a lot of repairs and work on bike already.
                        And now you found THeGSR.

Are you saying you fabricated that seat cover.....?

Haha, yeah I've been lurking around for a couple years just doing some light reading of the stator papers, figured now that I had the means to make this bike a little more respectable I'd finally chime in.
                        As for the seat cover, yes. I found a good pleather fabric, took the old seat cover off, used it as somewhat of a pattern, made all of the individual pieces, and then had my sewing-talented sister stitch it up.
                        '83 Suzuki GS850G
                        Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          For now, until finding an image hosting site, you can click on your pic then copy/ paste into the post to enlarge it.

The '83 is my favorite of the 850's. I've never seen a two tone seat like that and kinda like it.

Welcome to the forum.
                          I have tried this method to post large pics. The process breaks the pic into characters and tell me i have posted more than the site limit and the 13,000 characters, or depending on the size of the pic, shows up as characters and not a pic
                          82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                          Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                          Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                          Albums

Comment

Welcome! Great looking GS850!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Welcome, welcome, Gn0hm, to the GS madhouse. The place isn't mad, but we inmates are: mad about Suzuki GS motorcycles. I commend you for acquiring, fixing, cleaning, and otherwise maintaining a GS850G. Yours looks much nicer than my '81, which I found in a barn several years ago and call the Ratzuki. It looked like crap then, and still does. However it starts, runs, and stops on demand, which is about all I ask of it. Have some fun here, have a cold brew, draw up a log and join the conversation. Again, Welcome. Rick
                              Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                              1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                              1981 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X