Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum with an '83 GS850G, Minnesota

Default New to the Forum with an '83 GS850G, Minnesota

Hello from Minnesota, I'm new to this forum! I bought my GS850g a few years back when I saw it on craigslist for a steal, not in the best shape ever but well worth what I paid and was a complete bike with most of it's stock components in tact. It had a few different questionable paint jobs layered on top of one another, and looked like it had been well loved. Didn't know much about the legacy of the GS series at the time, but something about the look and the feel of the bike just drew me to it. Got it running for a short season of riding a few years ago, and learned a whole lot about stators and rectifiers after a couple of push starts, but other than that it ran quite well.

After that, I went off to college and didn't have much of a chance to give it the restoration I wanted to. These pandemic days, my school life has become a lot more flexible, and with all the classes being online I've found myself with the time this winter to put in the work and make the bike what I want it to be. I've learned a lot working on it and am excited to share the progress with you all when I get the chance to work on it periodically. I've made quite a bit of progress so far.

This will only allow me to post one photo, so I'll go ahead and share a picture here from when I first got it. I've got some other pics of the lovely paint job I did when I was a teenager, and my current progress with how the bike looks at the moment, that I'll post wherever is appropriate when I have some more time. I plan to rectify my lovely blue rattle can job by starting from scratch with a much more well planned Indian Chief inspired 2-stage job that I'll be attempting in a month or two. Looking forward to asking some questions that have had me stumped that maybe you all can help with, and posting more pictures as this project draws to it's conclusion. Most Importantly, I'm looking forward to the ride. Cheers! Snapchat-332484147.jpg

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Welcome to the madhouse

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Welcome to the forum Gn0hm. The 850 is a great engine.
    Insider tip, if you want to post more than one pic in a post use an image hosting site, like Flickr or even Google Photos, I use IMGUR myself.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 01-26-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

" Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

"Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

Congrats on the GS, looks pretty good to begin with, head'in in the right direction, keep it up, & welcome aboard.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Burque73 is online now Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

For now, until finding an image hosting site, you can click on your pic then copy/ paste into the post to enlarge it.

The '83 is my favorite of the 850's. I've never seen a two tone seat like that and kinda like it.

Welcome to the forum.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Thanks for the Tips! Funny you should mention the two tone seat, I liked it too but it was torn so I ran with it but made a new two-tone with a black and white color scheme. Here's a few images, one is the current look of the bike, which will be changing soon as well, but the seat is staying of course. The other two pics are an after/before of the midsection when I redid the electronics and repainted part of the frame.
    https://imgur.com/D2JoeWw
    https://imgur.com/NEf4Goa
    https://imgur.com/32nvbbA

Wow, big improvement to the midsection in Before and After photos! Well done! Keep up the good work.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Photo of the Month Winner April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo"

Gn0hm

Welcome. RE: pics. You've already got an Imgur account. That's great. Just a few more clicks from imgur (full site, not the app) to copy the BBCode and paste it into a post here. Then the pics show up at the size you choose and we don't have to click on them to see them (we're a lazy bunch). Details linked in my signature of how to do this.

Also, please go ahead and create a signature. Go to Settings at the upper right of any page. You'll figure it out from there. Most people put, at the very least, their bike make and model in a signature. It's much appreciated here.

Welcome to the site.
    White seat cover? No way i would be able to keep that clean.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.