GS1100E Oil Pressure Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Oil Pressure Light

I am now getting a flickering oil pressure light on my 80 1100e.
    It still flickers even with the revs up a bit so I assumed it was a wiring issue. It is also very intermittent.. sometimes wont happen at all. I tried a new oil pressure switch and the problem continued.

To eliminate all wiring variables, I just wired my own light to the switch and am still getting the flickering, so it is indeed the oil pressure.. New oil and filter so it's definitely not low.

The previous owner had a ratty oil cooler on the bike, so the oil filter cover has fittings on it, I just bridged the fittings and have been running it like this for some time. Is it possible this is causing a volume issue?

I also just replaced the sump gasket and the sump was pretty clean..

Anyways.. Any thoughts on the flickering?

Not an answer but..... Someone on the forum was recently looking for a Oil Filter Cover like that with oil cooler fittings on it. That person may want to trade their non-drilled cover for yours. Sorry, can't find the thread.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The first thing I would suggest is to raise your idle speed to the recommended 1000-1100 RPM.

There is not much pressure in the system at any time. The switch is based on flow, not pressure.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

First thing I'd do is ditch that cluster F*** of an oil filter cover. And when you remove the cover make sure nobody modded the oil feed passage out of the case by inserting a restrictor to force oil up the oil cooler line.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Not an answer but..... Someone on the forum was recently looking for a Oil Filter Cover like that with oil cooler fittings on it. That person may want to trade their non-drilled cover for yours. Sorry, can't find the thread.
          I would absolutely trade! I'll look around

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The first thing I would suggest is to raise your idle speed to the recommended 1000-1100 RPM.

There is not much pressure in the system at any time. The switch is based on flow, not pressure.

Thanks Steve. I lowered the idle to capture it on video. It's very intermittent.. but still does it at 1500... sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            First thing I'd do is ditch that cluster F*** of an oil filter cover. And when you remove the cover make sure nobody modded the oil feed passage out of the case by inserting a restrictor to force oil up the oil cooler line.
            Yes I would definitely like to get the right cover.
            Good idea, I'll look for a restrictor

Comment

Is it possible someone put the oil filter in the wrong way? I seem to remember someone here doing that a few years ago by mistake
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Going back to stock has to be your first port of call

It's possible to get a 15 PSI gauge and a take-off & measure the pressure, there are a few threads on that here.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

Slayer61 was looking for an 1150 filter cover. Different part.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Thanks Glen.

I found Slayer61's thread on that cover. Looks the same to me, I'm sure you (Glen), having an 1150, know's better than me.

Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      IIRC, the 1150 cover is the part you want when you add an oil cooler to an 11E. Alternatively, the original 11E cover can be modified. When I added an oil cooler to my 11EZ, I switched the original oil filter cover for one from an 1150.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The 1150 oil filter cover are rare as hens teeth! I just can't bring myself to spend the $140 + shipping from England for one!

There might come a time, when I have to though....
                        Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                        Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

I do believe this is an 1150 cover, but can't be sure.

Comment

A few years ago, I purchased an 1150 oil cooler with an 1150 filter cover for $150 total (no shipping fee) from a member here. IIRC, the filter cover was NOS. The cooler had all the lines attached, and was in very good condition.

I got a good deal, right?
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I see no-one's suggested looking at the relief valve.....

If you've had the sump off once you know how to get to it. Check for corrosion which could make it stick - and that the spring is intact and in spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X