No announcement yet.

'79 GS1000E project start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are EPM, front is magnesium and is amazingly light. They are running tubeless as the slicks I took off were. They needed a bit of help sealing up with some Xtra seal goo. They are fine, holding air etc. I wanted to powdercoat them and my neighbor manages a shop but nobody here would touch magnesium so I spray bombed them after a lot of prep.

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
    Tom,I like the gold wheels you have on your GS1100EZ,are they tubeless tire applicable ?
    I had an 82' 1100E of the same color in the early 90's and always wanted to install new tires without tubes,but..
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
      They are EPM, front is magnesium and is amazingly light. They are running tubeless as the slicks I took off were. They needed a bit of help sealing up with some Xtra seal goo. They are fine, holding air etc. I wanted to powdercoat them and my neighbor manages a shop but nobody here would touch magnesium so I spray bombed them after a lot of prep.

Wow,true magnesium 'Mags' ! The bike must ride excellent over all different road surfaces.What width are they compared to your stock aluminum wheels ?

Comment

Rear is 18x3.5 vs 17x2.5 stock, and I run a 140/70. Front is 18x2.5 vs 19x2.15 stock and I run a 100/90. Both Avon Roadriders. The 1100E rides well but I like the overall feel of the '79 GS1000 just a bit better, to be honest. It's a longer stretch to the bars on the 1100E and I may put stock bars on, which I have, but that means longer brake lines. I put Shinkos on the GS1000E 712s on due to budget issues and they seem fine.

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
        Wow,true magnesium 'Mags' ! The bike must ride excellent over all different road surfaces.What width are they compared to your stock aluminum wheels ?
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I found a stock airbox really cheap on eBay with decent side covers, this is the worse side of the two and it's fine, overall patina of the bike is similar.

Bonus: Looking at the '79's rear airbox section on the diagram, its shape sure looked a lot like the '82 GS1100E to me. Since mine was already out of the red '82 I tried it and it fits perfectly. It's a different part number and the housing is 'fluted' underneath, but other than that I can't see any difference. It even came with a fresh air filter.

I'll sell my K&N pods and be up overall. I am going to fit the OK GS850 pipes on it instead of selling them, and if all goes well I'll sell the V&H.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-24-2021, 11:00 AM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Just a little FYI FWIW...

When fussing around with my (now departed) 1000S, anytime the airbox was disturbed, such as when the rear airbox was separated from the front, or when the lid was removed, the bike immediately went into a high idle situation. The system is very sensitive.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for tip, I'm going through the rubber bits and renewing them and also will put a new foam strip on the lid as it's degraded. I'll get it set up as best I can. I'll have to yank the Dynojet #138 mains, not sure if needles need to be changed back. I have been reading that just a bit over stock mains helps but nothing drastic, will keep researching.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Just a little FYI FWIW...

When fussing around with my (now departed) 1000S, anytime the airbox was disturbed, such as when the rear airbox was separated from the front, or when the lid was removed, the bike immediately went into a high idle situation. The system is very sensitive.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well, I'm done with the project, the bike's running really well, I am extremely happy with the outcome. The engine's smooth, powerful and oil tight, the suspension is spot on, stock up front and the rebuilt Fox shocks out back. The plugs look good after a long ride today, carbs are synced and set up well, no flat spots. The brakes are super strong and it handles and rides beautifully. It's my favorite of my 3 current runners. Last touch was to mount the $5 fork cover that I repaired, so I dropped the forks off and installed earlier today.

I'll be doing a riding video in the morning and will post link. Thanks to all for your help in answering questions and some stuff I needed (Ed that's you!)

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Are you sure the GS850 stock exhaust will fit?

Like the look of the lightly polished fork legs.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You done well Tom. Now ride the crap out of it!

BTW, how do you like the seat comfort?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Bike looks great! Sounds like it is well sorted as well.
                      1986 1150EF
                      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Thanks Ed, it's certainly cushy, and given the size of the seat it's OK to sink down a bit. Sort of Barcalounger like, which means it makes a great first impression. But I prefer firm, always have.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        You done well Tom. Now ride the crap out of it!

BTW, how do you like the seat comfort?
                        Yeah Steve, the exhausts definitely fit, all the mounts lined up both sides in all locations. I just need to ream out the holes on the flanges a bit, and at the moment I'd rather be riding.... with earplugs.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Are you sure the GS850 stock exhaust will fit?

Like the look of the lightly polished fork legs.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Took a video with my Rylo, haven't used much and the first ones I took had terrible sound so I put some microfiber over the mic input which helped. Just a ride around the neighborhood. My speedometer cable shredded itself the other day, a replacement is in the mail.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Took a ride today, beautiful out and the GS is running well.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Look Trevor. Nice clean black motorcycle with the required shiny bits. LOL
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Nice looking bike

Comment

Working...
                                X