Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    The shocks look great.
    For others here is the link to the shock rebuild and parts site.
    http://www.evolutionsuspensionproducts.com/
    Thanks for the link on the fox shocks repair site. Looks like a great place!
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Tom,
      In the August 6 photo, the bike appears to be wearing the stock exhaust (or at least a 4-into-2), while in the December 19 pic it's the V&H 'Street Megaphone.' What were you running in the August 7 ride?

If you're taking requests, how about a ride along video starring Mr. Turbo?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, that's a '79 GS850 exhaust that I was checking for fit. It will work just fine with one mod - a bit of Dremel action to widen the exhaust flange hole spacing. I'm still undecided if I will bother with that. I may just sell the exhaust. It runs fine with the V&H, as in the video, and isn't too loud. And I need the $.

As for the Mr. Turbo, I may do that this week. It's been exceedingly cold here, daytime high's only into mid 60's. Just kidding! Real reason is I've been restoring my '69 Airstream and it's quite a lot of work, no time to ride much lately.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Tom,
        In the August 6 photo, the bike appears to be wearing the stock exhaust (or at least a 4-into-2), while in the December 19 pic it's the V&H 'Street Megaphone.' What were you running in the August 7 ride?

If you're taking requests, how about a ride along video starring Mr. Turbo?
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
          As for the Mr. Turbo, I may do that this week.
          I hope you're not just teasing me!

I've got a million questions...

What are the parameters of the boost? Is it adjusted with a tool, or a knob that you could conceivably reach down and adjust at a stop sign? Or do you have to make other adjustments if you want to increase the boost? (Jetting, timing?) Are there any lights/gauges that come with the turbo? Where are they? (On the handle bars, the engine?)

How much do you charge per question? Wait, that one doesn't count!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

No worries, ask away Rob! I charged up the camera and bike's batteries today, haven't used either in a while. Tomorrow perhaps.

The boost is adjusted at the blowoff valve with a wrench, it's a simple locknut arrangement like a cam chain tensioner which adjusts the internal spring tension. The valve's quite simple, I took it apart to clean it, just a little chamber with that spring holding the piston back with variable force. See below pic, valve hanging off the bottom of the exhaust collector.

The gauge pictured below was part of the Mr Turbo kit, it's liquid filled and has a mount made for the Suzuki. Pretty rare piece I imagine. Right now it's not registering, I think it's the line from the blowoff valve to the gauge, it's pretty soft rubber and I think may be flexing. When I hit it with compressed air it works fine. I will get proper line. The bike needs a rev limiter.

That's it for controls/gauges.

It ran 25 lbs boost at Bonneville but it's set to 15 lbs now. I think the timing was something like 25 degrees advance but that's just something that stuck in my mind from a conversation with the owner, who wasn't a tuner. I imagine changing boost radically may require some adjusting but I don't think anything needed changing except the blowoff valve tension for it's latest street escapades. It runs just fine on premium and with that massive oil cooler it stays in normal temp range.

Once it gets into the boost at about 7K, to be honest it is just scary, it takes off so fast that my reflexes can't keep up. I had a 150HP Multistrada which was my most powerful bike up to this one, and the acceleration is on another order entirely.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            I hope you're not just teasing me!

I've got a million questions...

What are the parameters of the boost? Is it adjusted with a tool, or a knob that you could conceivably reach down and adjust at a stop sign? Or do you have to make other adjustments if you want to increase the boost? (Jetting, timing?) Are there any lights/gauges that come with the turbo? Where are they? (On the handle bars, the engine?)

How much do you charge per question? Wait, that one doesn't count!
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 01-06-2022, 02:02 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

My luck - my Rylo camera is kaput, think it's just the battery so I have to research and buy one or two. I did take it for a nice ride on the Ortega, it's just about the most perfect day you could wish for here.

On the GS1000E topic, I have a 'spare' GS1100E aluminum swingarm that is eyeballing me and asking to be put on the '79 GS.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
              X