No announcement yet.

'79 GS1000E project start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How nicely did the exhaust fit? I used a 1000G system on mine for years before it finally ended up all rattley from loose baffles and it was a perfect fit. I then swapped it out for a very nice stock system thanks to a lead from Ed.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Depending on how this thing runs I may run the 3.5/18 EPM on the rear, which has a 140/70 on it. Of course it's mounted on the GS1100E turbo but I don't think I'll ride that as much as this '79. Not that it's a bad ride but the value and chances of entering another dimension is less on the '79. And I just may like the earlier bike more for daily service.

But your suggestion makes sense too. It's less work as the 17" I have has the original unused rear sprocket. I guess stick with the 630 for now as I have a few decent chains.

The tire on the 2.15 rim is a 130/80-18 Metzeler Metronic. Definitely looks pinched on there. A shame as it's just old but has tons of tread, I used to run those on my bikes and they weren't cheap.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      The 17" wheel is 2.5" wide whereas the 18" is 2.15". I'd go for the wider wheel if at all possible because you can then run a 130 tire.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Very nicely, I have only done the left (clutch) side so maybe a turd in the punchbowl coming on the right side. Will see tomorrow. I could do now but I hate working with nasty greasy/rusty parts so I clean first. I haven't mounted all the pegs/shifter so I'll update if any probs. So far it looks like a really good fit, with the kickstand slotted into the gap between the pipes, and in down and retracted there is no issue. I didn't touch the shield either, it just sits in nicely.

I'll update as I make progress on it. One more pic. I like pics.

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        How nicely did the exhaust fit? I used a 1000G system on mine for years before it finally ended up all rattley from loose baffles and it was a perfect fit. I then swapped it out for a very nice stock system thanks to a lead from Ed.
        Last edited by oldGSfan; 02-03-2021, 10:54 PM.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Got the Fox shocks done, happy with the result, kit from Thor Lawson with sticker. Thanks Nesissm for ID, I just had forgotten all about these, so far back in memory banks.

I just went gloss black and gold, not a fan of red. Yeah red is probably stock but it's just paint. Just good old air in there now, holding steady and no leaks. I used 3M clear on the bodies as the springs will rub. Not sure it'll help but they did similar stock, but a colored wrap. I had it laying around so WTH. Credit to son as the hand model.

\
          Last edited by oldGSfan; 02-05-2021, 02:04 AM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

The shocks look great.
            For others here is the link to the shock rebuild and parts site.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

This is why you never throw away parts... The '82 GS1100E take-off wheels that have been stored since new and never used are the same as the 79 GS1000. Fresh rubber, with the nubs still on.... OK it's just for rolling around the garage.

I'd prefer a 530 chain but I also have a 'spare' 630 O-Ring brand new and the rear sprocket is unused. I can live with that big heavy chain for the time being. A new front sprocket's all I need and Z1 has them on clearance so it'll do.

The inside of that rear disc is pretty grooved but it's the rear, I have another one somewhere.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 02-09-2021, 03:08 AM.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Now it's riding on NOS Bridgestone Mag Mopus rubber, fresh take-off's from the '82 GS1100E! I figure if I Armor All the tread it will give them some more grip

The forks are flushed and fluid replaced, seals good. The Fox shocks are rebuilt and holding pressure/fluid too. The rims from the '82 are now ready for (probably) Shinko 712s this time rather than the usual Avon AM26 as I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't see a 130/90-17 Avon anyway. But that's a month or so away. Brake calipers and MCs are in really good shape, both ends were functional, so I just need some boots/seals for the calipers I think. Having 2 GS850 parts bikes plus GS1100E spares is a deep well of reserve stuff to use. Front fender is GS850 and I wasn't sure it would fit due to a different PN, but it is identical as far as I can tell.

I've figured out a decent routing for the oil cooler and thermostat, pretty much like the picture here but moved the thermostat back behind the frame crossbar.

I have to get the carb jetting/needles sorted next before much else, but I did order a repro seat cover and am going to decide on paint soon.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Carbs on and nearly ready to fire it up. I just need to clean up some wiring, it cranked and had spark but a bit of a rat's nest to tend to.

Took this picture and afterwards saw the reflection in the cam cover, the GS1100E Mr. Turbo is lurking, jealous perhaps?

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well, the exhaust stud is out and two of the valve cover threads are replaced with inserts. An unexpected setback but it's OK, a good chance to look inside. Besides the damage by the ham-fisted gorilla who broke bolts and galled the threads, it all looks pretty good inside. It seems the bolts holding the valve cover on were not correct, too long. Time to take some measurements. I ordered a bolt set anyway.

Since I have it out I should probably yank the valves out and have a look, but it seems the work was done right on the head, and the piston bores look to be honed, pistons clean, etc. I have a full gasket set coming, so maybe I should pull the barrel too, given the quality of the other work. Looks OK but not too tough to take off and be sure.

I have a huge 15L ultrasonic and put the valve cover in it with very hot water to see how it would do on the gasket removal. Still only fit 1/2 at a time dunked, but it worked great, the gasket came off so easily. I use a really nice little woodworking chisel that I got in a set from my neighbor.

My ex neighbor would go to estate sales at a retirement community and focus on tools. They were very considerate neighbors and would offer me first dibs the night before a garage sale, and ask next to nothing. I filled my garage with tools, and often think of the old-timer that last used them.

I'm on the fence how clean I want it cosmetically. I can get it looking very nice without too much hassle, hmm.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-04-2021, 06:18 PM.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Vapor blasting would be best
                      Soda blasting also good
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Suggestions, I see that the head is removed. Should replace your valve stem seals. Purchase the VITON type seals.

Check your valve stem to valve guide wear.

Light valve lapping to, then re-install valves and do a fluid holding check.

Comment

I'm checking vapor blasting prices, a guy in San Diego made his own setup and his work looks really good. If the price is right maybe I'll get rolling on my Norton N15CS too, and get some of it's stuff blasted. I have new viton seals, cam end rubber half moon plugs, and will lap the valves.

I recently finished a '73 CB750 and took great care to try making it oil tight, as there are a lot of horror stories of inferior gaskets, rubber plugs inside the head that must be OEM etc. Thankfully the top end was extremely good shape for a 31K mile bike - it had never been apart and was really good. I lapped the valves, honed cylinders and put in new rings. Used HD studs as they torque to 24 vs 17 lbs, and stock ones stretch. Had to 'condition' the studs laboriously. Happy to say it is dry as a bone and runs great. Hoping to stay on a roll!
                          Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-05-2021, 12:27 AM.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Some more progress. It's still OK to talk about bikes here right? I tried soaking the valve cover in hot water for a while to see how it did on the gaskets. I also used my ultrasonic which fits half at a time, but I don't think it really added anything. I don't know why I never tried soaking gaskets before as they came off with hardly any effort

I looked up the lengths of the valve cover bolts, and it turns out the previous owner had used a couple that were too long, and galled the threads. Two have new inserts now and I may have to do more, will see. Hopefully they will take the 7 lbs or so of torque they need. I have a stainless Allen bolt set on the way, mainly for the Phillips head screws elsewhere but it's complete so I'll use all over.

Head is pretty clean, maybe a bit more detailing to do, certainly down in the valve pockets as there's a bit of schmutz there.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-06-2021, 01:20 AM.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

You might try wheel bearing grease on gaskets during assembly let's the parts squirm during warm up and makes it easy to get the gaskets off next time. Learned that from an old P 51 mechanic.
                              1980 GS1000E

Comment

I've been out of state for 6 weeks visiting my dad, and now back to bikes. I'm tackling valve adjustment, all of them are too tight, no clearance. They were all at or about the minimum and I went and lapped the valves, which closed them up... D'oh. But it's all good, the head is in really good shape now. I fired off a request to shim exchange Ray via Email if he has one 2.50 shim I can use to swap in and measure for the right size. I have a bunch in the 2.60 to 2.80 range, and expect I'll need just slightly thinner ones based on the three I got right so far, which were pretty close. Once that's done I'll be on the home stretch mechanically speaking. If anyone has a 2.50 or thinner shim they can spare, send me a PM. I don't know if my Email will go to Ray's spam or something.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X