No announcement yet.

'79 GS1000E project start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a truck? Can you bring the bike up to my place? If so, there is a very good chance I've got the shims you need. Currently I've got 42 shims, most below 2.75, and Salty_Monk lives a couple miles away and I'm sure he has more you can tap into.

Edit:
    Inventory

Several thin checking shims like 2.40 and 2.15's

2.40 - 2
    2.45 - 0
    2.50 - 6
    2.55 - 5
    2.60 - 7
    2.65 - 8
    2.70 - 6
    2.70 - 6
    2.75 - 1
    Last edited by Nessism; 05-27-2021, 08:44 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I sure hope you took Ed up on that offer; if so, how's it running now?
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

For some reason I missed Ed's offer and I ordered the one shim I needed, a 2.65 from Z1. I think I got too dependent on seeing an Email update saying that someone has replied - but it's not super reliable. It was only $4 and I needed some other stuff so I'm good - thanks Ed! I will keep in mind for future. I still have a few shims from my '82 GPz1100 sitting in a drawer, never chuck stuff away...

The bike had 7 of 8 shims that were correct because I did a light lapping of the valves - so it was just rearranging, and determining which size I needed. BTW I'm using the trick of a plastic zip tie jammed into the open valve. It is so much easier than dealing with the little tool you have to sit perfectly on the edge of the bucket.

Now, as I wait for the package, I did some cosmetic stuff. The ignition side of the case had a crack from an obvious drop, very slight just behind the cover, so I used JB Weld. I polished up the clutch cover in situ, and taped things off and sprayed. I used an ignition cover off the GS850 as it was in better shape. As for the overall cosmetic level, for this bike it's fine. I bought emblems but they are the wrong ones (!) which sucks, usually Partzilla is right on. But these are silver, not black. I'm leaning to not caring about originality and just using these, which I think are off the 'L' model.

Oh and I covered the seat with an eBay one, not bad. The foam is too soft for me but it's such a monster seat I just sink down in it like an old Caddy.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-03-2021, 03:42 PM.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

The original style emblems were superceded in the early 80s and you get the later plastic ones when you order them.
          Nice work so far
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks, not sure if you know: Do the black vinyl ones look good? I have gotten the really good OEM ones for about $15 each over the years on my GS's, and I suppose I could eat that cost if I were confident the plastic replacements look good. The price I see on eBay is reasonable from the UK as long as they are nice.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            The original style emblems were superceded in the early 80s and you get the later plastic ones when you order them.
            Nice work so far
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

This emblem could be cleaned up...
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mmm, real metal yes, thanks.
                Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Getting closer, just working on some of the little things now. Hope to fire it up in the next week and if all goes well (which it should, inshahallah) I will throw some tires and a chain on it and go riding.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Fired it up today, it warmed up in about the normal amount of time and settled to a steady 1K idle, very smooth and will take throttle with no hesitation, taking it easy though as I sort things out. And no fuel leaks.

There is a little bit of burbling and popping (i.e. backfiring) on overrun that you can hear when I rev it, so I need to lean it out gradually, I think, to find the sweet spot. Or something. I have the emissions mixture screw 1 turn out but I think that may be too far, from my reading. The main idle screw is about 1 1/2 at this point.

I hope fine tuning is all it takes. I was fearing it would be terrible with the pods and V&H 4/1 on there, but I think it's already in the ballpark. Unfortunately I can't take it for a ride until I get some new tires, so at this point there's more wishing and hoping than hard facts to go on. I didn't want to sink $ into tires (and I'm borrowing the GS1100E's battery) if the motor lunched itself on startup - you never know.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-15-2021, 07:05 PM.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Nice! Is that a V&H "Sidewinder"?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I don't think so, IIRC the sidewinder is lower in the rear, not canted upward. It isn't objectionably loud, thankfully. My Turbo is too loud, I am considering baffles for it but that may not be a good idea. I am annoyed by too much exhaust noise, comes with age I suppose.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        Nice! Is that a V&H "Sidewinder"?
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Another one saved from Parts Heaven.
                          Excellent work, GS.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks. I finally broke down and got a Motion Pro remote fuel cannister, it is a lot better than using a tank sitting on a high shelf which I feared I'd somehow knock off.

Money is a bit tight after being laid off, so I will probably mount Shinkos on it. The Avons I put on the CB750 and GS1100E are excellent but I'm finding them scarce in my size. I also need a chain and would like to downsize from the 630 but since both my sprockets are brand new, the budget way may prevail with just another 630 chain for the time being.

Big thanks to Ed (Nessism) for sending me a good emissions mixture screw, that was the last piece of the puzzle.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Another one saved from Parts Heaven.
                            Excellent work, GS.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Didn't the GS850G exhausts work out?
                              thefirstnowell

Comment

They are my backup plan. They fit but need the flanges modified. I have had too many other fish to fry plus I wanted to see how the V&H sounded and how it ran. Time will tell.

On other fronts, I decided that the bodywork that has original paint and graphics could be made to look decent with some 2K clearcoat I had on hand, and I did that today. There are nicks and scratches that I can't fix without a respray, but for a rider it doesn't look too bad. I just need to cut back the clear with the 2500 grit and compound it into a nice shine without the orange peel. It'll be a 10 footer (or so).

Originally posted by David View Post
                                Didn't the GS850G exhausts work out?
                                Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-17-2021, 02:24 AM.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X