Stuck fuel cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck fuel cap

Hi guys not been on here in years quick question and don't shoot me if I'm in the wrong area I am in the process of getting my gs1000et back on the road after many years just finished spraying it and so on anyway I lost the key for the fuel tank but the cap was off the tank before I sprayed it I ordered another key off the number on the tank stuck the cap on now it won't come off my question is is the key a short one like I ordered or should it be the long one ? Any other shouts on how I sort this problem out apart from drilling it ?

Originally posted by 7019jim View Post
    Hi guys not been on here in years quick question and don't shoot me if I'm in the wrong area I am in the process of getting my gs1000et back on the road after many years just finished spraying it and so on anyway I lost the key for the fuel tank but the cap was off the tank before I sprayed it I ordered another key off the number on the tank stuck the cap on now it won't come off my question is is the key a short one like I ordered or should it be the long one ? Any other shouts on how I sort this problem out apart from drilling it ?
    You probably need the longer key, for sure for the ignition but I'll need to test the cap to be sure, I can cut one for you if you want.

Did you test it before you installed it?

Don't drill it out unless you can get a new one as you will destroy the cap most likely.

David.
    Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 01-27-2021, 08:20 PM.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I have owned Suzuki GS models since 1978, never seen, nor heard of, different length keys. Glad to see there's usually someone around to help. Good luck
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hi yes I ordered a key from eBay and was asked to put in short or long key am hoping I put the wrong one

Comment

Hi yes I did try try it and it did work although the locking pins didn’t totally disappear inside the lock but stupidly thought that must be as far as it goes and pushed on I have just ordered another key the long one to see if that works if not looks like I’m drilling which I really didn’t want to have to do with newly painted tank new cap with key not a problem

Comment

You can pick the lock. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago on an old tank from a parts bike. I never had a key for it, but own a set of picks like these. The wave pick on the right did the trick. Takes a little finesse and some WD-40.

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Ah that might be something to try first if the longer key doesn't work am just hoping the short key isn't reaching the tumblers on the bottom of the lock and the more I think about it normally all locks on a bike are a one key fits all so the ignition key being a long one the fuel cap should be a long one hope this key arrives in the next couple of days thanks for all the replies guys

Comment

This is not directly related, but I have often seen original Suzuki key blanks get high asking prices, and it is an unnecessary expense.

An easy substitution is a Chrysler blank, which is actually a bit longer than the Suzi one and you can even find them in dollar stores.

Note: even if it is replacing a short blank, it will still work, or you can cut it down to suit your needs.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

When I bought a 1981 GS650 that the owner had lost the keys, I was able to find a short key for the lock ID number from a retired locksmith. The short key worked in all locks, but not the ignition. Fuel cap, helmet lock, and seat lock all worked with the short key. I had to use the short key to cut a longer key for the ignition. The locksmith sent me the longer blank too which was an Ilco SZ4AP and appears to be the blank for most of the GS bikes of this vintage.

It seems that it is a common theme with older motorcycle finds on Craigslist that either the keys have been lost, or they don’t have a title for the motorcycle, or both. This bike had a clear…

Dave
                  Blog of my motorcycle projects - http://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
                  1981 Suzuki GS650L - Project Bike - Sold
                  2013 Suzuki SFV650 - Sold
                  2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring

Comment

Hi I did order a short key but it doesn’t open it I am hoping the long one does I know the ignition key is longer I have the ignition key but can’t remember if I changed the ignition at some point because I certainly can’t remember changing the fuel cap

Comment

Hi the keys here are cheap enough to buy I can get them cut for £5

Comment

Have you tried some light oil in the key slot And then trying it a few times?

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I got a GS850 tank with a stuck cap (same one) and had to work it a bit. Soak it in penetrating oil, gently vary the key position to jiggle the tumblers a bit, pushing cap up and down. It eventually came out.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Ok guys got it off toms suggestion with the light oil and a lot of wiggling about and actually put a rag on the tank and stuck a screwdriver under it and levered it off with no damage to new paint so all good think I might still get a new one rather than put this back in thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Sorry gusto just noticed you suggested same thing it’s worked thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X