520 chain and sprocket conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patrino View Post
    I've done a number of conversions through PBI Sprockets (https://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/main.sc)

They've always given great customer service to me: "I've got a 19XX Suzuki YYYY and am looking for a 520 sprocket with the same spline pattern as the stock 530 sprocket; can you please help me out?" Ditto with the rear sprocket & bolt spacing.

They're in Oregon (where I live) and I usually get the parts a couple days after I order.

Worth giving them a ring! Mike used to be their customer service rep.
    It's simply a catalogue exercise. The GS front sprocket spline is common across Suzuki and Kawasaki ranges. Suzuki kept the rear sprocket bolt pattern again across many models.
    Later models use 520 so it can be easy.

The only time I've had to do anything special was retoothing a front sprocket 1 tooth bigger than available OE size for a racebike at one particular track.
    The old GS's don't pull the RPM of the moderns so a special was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by patrino View Post
      I've done a number of conversions through PBI Sprockets (https://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/main.sc)

They've always given great customer service to me: "I've got a 19XX Suzuki YYYY and am looking for a 520 sprocket with the same spline pattern as the stock 530 sprocket; can you please help me out?" Ditto with the rear sprocket & bolt spacing.

They're in Oregon (where I live) and I usually get the parts a couple days after I order.

Worth giving them a ring! Mike used to be their customer service rep.
      Right on, thank you!

Comment

I have a PBI 5/8" offset 520 front sprocket on my GS1000 combined with a 520 DID ERV3 chain and Vortex rear steel 520 sprocket (for the 06 GSXR 750 rear wheel installed). For my application the 520 chain was needed to prevent the chain from rubbing on the frame with this setup.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 01-30-2021, 12:18 AM.
        Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          I run a 180 rear tyre on my gs1000 with a 530 chain and sprockets, 10mm offset on the front sprocket and no problems with chain clearance
          Did you put a 10mm spacer on the rear sproket to match the 10mm on the front? I only ask as I am having a 4.25 spoked rim on the rear with a 150x70 18 tyre and I already have a 530 chain on the bike. I was looking to use an offset front sproket just to make sure I clear the tyre with the chain, might even go 160 if I could get away with it..
          Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
            Did you put a 10mm spacer on the rear sproket to match the 10mm on the front? I only ask as I am having a 4.25 spoked rim on the rear with a 150x70 18 tyre and I already have a 530 chain on the bike. I was looking to use an offset front sproket just to make sure I clear the tyre with the chain, might even go 160 if I could get away with it..
            No, i had to machine 5mm off the GSXR sprocket carrier to line up the rear sprocket with the front.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              No, i had to machine 5mm off the GSXR sprocket carrier to line up the rear sprocket with the front.
              I've just scrolled down and found the picture of your bike and could see the gixxer wheels.. nice looking bike by the way.
              Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by kwikonit View Post
                So you had the 520 sprockets made?
                No I used a "conversion" sprocket (which wasn't at all expensive) & ran the bump on the inside with from memory an additional 1/8" of spacer on the shaft before it went on. Long time ago....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have a rear from a '89 gsxr1100 on my 750. It's a six hole carrier and the 520's for a dr500 fits. Good selection of sizes are available.
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I'll copy paste the info from my thread. I converted to 520 on my 1981 GS750 E:

These are the ebay-items I went for :

Front 16 tooth sprocket : Vortex Front Sprocket 16T 3270-16
                    Rear 48 tooth sprocket: JT SPROCKET JTR1825.48 48 Tooth
                    Chain 118 links (calculator says I could use 116 links, but I'd like to be on the safe side).
                    This is the narrowest 520 I could find at a reasonable price: DID 520x118 Links VX2 Pro-Street Series Sealed X-ring Natural
                    This chain is rated to 750cc and 110hp.
                    The 16/48 combo gives a gear rate of 3.0 wich should be spot on.

I chose JT rear sprocket for low price and strength. Other choices are Vortex Aluminum(not hardcoated) and Supersprox Stealth

For a complete (I guess) list of which bikes that use the same pattern (pcd 100, id76, hole10,5) as the gs750 read this thread:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=RF900R

You can search ebay for the names in bold.

You can also see my build from page 10 (with pictures):

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

to see how i arranged spacers. If you need more clearance you can go from there I guess

My bike has a 150/70-18 on 4.25" rim.

Comment

Working...
                    X