Bike has power but no lights, no horn, no signal lights, doesn't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike has power but no lights, no horn, no signal lights, doesn't start

Here I am again with another electrical issue on my 1983 gs750es...

So I got a new battery for my bike, and stupid me I accidentally put the battery wrong and connected the negative wire to the positive and negative wire to the the positive, main fused blew, so I replaced it and did not correct the battery connection and its just the oil light that is lit on, then I notice I hooked the battery wrong, so I corrected it, check the battery if its still OK and it is, when I turned the key to the on position everything on the dash turned on correctly but when I turned on the lights nothing happened the light didn't turn on, so checked the fuse for the light it was OK, checked the wire it's connected properly checked continuity its OK, then I decided to check the signal light and the horn it has the same result and I don't hear any clicking sound on the relay, I tried to start the bike using the start button, nothing, no response from the starter selinoid, thinking I short the selinoid I replaced i replaced it but still the same, tried to jump the bike and it the engine turns over, checked all the fuse everything is fine, check continuity on the fuse everything is fine no break, now I'm dumb founded what's wrong with the bike why it won't respond to anything.

I short what's happening is after hooking the battery wrong the bike won't start, no signal lights, no horn, no head light like it doesn't give any power but when I jump the starter selinoid the engine turns over.
    1983 GS750ES

I was gonna say check the fusebox but that's been done.

Okay sometimes my bike does this, everything shuts off, usually I just do a "restart" by taking the key out and back in.

I will say, how nicely does your key click when you turn it on the ignition? Mine had an issue where it would lock in certain spots and all I needed to do was use some good tape so the mechanism that locks when you turn your key stayed in place
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      I was gonna say check the fusebox but that's been done.

Okay sometimes my bike does this, everything shuts off, usually I just do a "restart" by taking the key out and back in.

I will say, how nicely does your key click when you turn it on the ignition? Mine had an issue where it would lock in certain spots and all I needed to do was use some good tape so the mechanism that locks when you turn your key stayed in place
      Key clicks positively, don't need a lot of pressure turning the key and it clicks right in to place, weird thing is when I turn the key everything lights up on the dash like nothing is wrong
      1983 GS750ES

Comment

I would guess one of the fuses is blown and you can't see it.. but you say they all have continuity. I'd still swap them all out. I would also check in the back of the fuse box. Sometimes things melt back there and weird stuff happens....

Sounds like a lot of issues relate to switchgear, maybe have a look at the switchgear wiring & the connectors to it next.

Good luck!
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          I would guess one of the fuses is blown and you can't see it.. but you say they all have continuity. I'd still swap them all out. I would also check in the back of the fuse box. Sometimes things melt back there and weird stuff happens....

Sounds like a lot of issues relate to switchgear, maybe have a look at the switchgear wiring & the connectors to it next.

Good luck!
          That's what I ded I replaced all the fuse. Where is the switchgear located?

Weird thing I just found out I was trying to figure out what's wrong with my bike I'm not even touching it I just have the key to the on position for a long time then suddenly everything worked, I think a gremlin is messing with me
          1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by Eidollan View Post
            That's what I ded I replaced all the fuse. Where is the switchgear located?

Weird thing I just found out I was trying to figure out what's wrong with my bike I'm not even touching it I just have the key to the on position for a long time then suddenly everything worked, I think a gremlin is messing with me
            That Gremlin could be dirty contacts in the ignition switch. Well worth opening and cleaning and the kill switch.
            Ign switch gets power through the main fuse and then sends it back via the Orange wire to the other fuses in the box. If the switch is dirty nothing gets power.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              That Gremlin could be dirty contacts in the ignition switch. Well worth opening and cleaning and the kill switch.
              Ign switch gets power through the main fuse and then sends it back via the Orange wire to the other fuses in the box. If the switch is dirty nothing gets power.
              Yeah found that sneaky gremlin. Yeah it's a dirty contact but not in the ignition switch but I checked that anyway, found the dirty contact on the ground wire that's connected to battery, there's 2 wires one thick and the other one thin the thin one has a dirty contact cleaned it with a contact cleaner and sanded it down a bit with a fine sand paper and everything works, just to make sure that's making the issue, I disconnected it to recreate the issue and it is, reconnected it and everything works again. Problem fixed... Sneaky little gremlin hahahaha
              1983 GS750ES

Comment

Nice detective work, Inspector Clouseau.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                X