No announcement yet.

Holes in my Mufflers..Recomentations on what to replace with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get some Harley Davidson stock takes offs, they are probably nicer than the ones in the first link. cheaper too, even in NZ
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
      get some Harley Davidson stock takes offs, they are probably nicer than the ones in the first link. cheaper too, even in NZ
      They aren't that cheap over in NZ although they can pop up occasionally,The Harley pipes have their own problems that involve extra cost and I'm not into their look. Found some others mufflers today for just over $120 each and that's with the ride from the US.
      82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
      Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
      Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
      Albums

Comment

IF you were in the USA I would tell you to check with any Harley Davidson dealership -
        They typically have a number of take off mufflers in the service shop waiting for a need -
        It seems the HD gang like to 'upgrade' their bikes to louder pipes to save lives --
        Harley is really good at chrome
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
          IF you were in the USA I would tell you to check with any Harley Davidson dealership -
          They typically have a number of take off mufflers in the service shop waiting for a need -
          It seems the HD gang like to 'upgrade' their bikes to louder pipes to save lives --
          Harley is really good at chrome
          I, for one, applaud their Public Safety Initiative, as long as it stays well out of my area.
          I like buying Fat Bloke mufflers by post.

Shocks too. Recently scored another perfect set of Showa air shocks from the back of a Fat Bloke for relative peanuts.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Do you have any motorcycle recyclers/salvages in your area. All exhausts don't age the same, it is possible to find really great used stock exhausts sometimes. I say this with the thought in mind that any exhaust that isn't factory will likely need some degree of adapting. And that can be a lot of surprises, sometimes replacements just wont fit because of many reasons. Then there is the fact that something different can look fugly or odd once it is in place. I am not trying to discourage modifying it, I am saying think through the negative possibility's before you spend money. I have learned this lesson over and over.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Another angle
              thumbnail_image0,.jpg
              Last edited by 650Skull; 02-06-2021, 04:48 AM.
              Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
              Albums

Comment

Another solution. Collar welded to the double walled header pipes on my 83XS650
                thumbnail_image0.jpg
                Last edited by 650Skull; 02-06-2021, 04:58 AM.
                Albums

Comment

Final fitting..........slip the small end of the adapter, over the inner pipe, under the outer pipe, Tight fit. Slip the muffler over the adapter and but up to the chrome header and fasten This should make a good seal with no leaks
                  muffler2.jpg
                  Last edited by 650Skull; 02-06-2021, 04:54 AM.
                  Albums

Comment

Reducer/Adapter
                    adapter.jpg
                    Albums

Comment

Header pipe from a XS650 Special, with the muffler cut off. these models had a full header/muffler, one system, from the factory

inner.jpg
                      Albums

Comment

Under the exhaust, to the far left, showing where the heat shield bolts on around the area where the header and muffler meets i think.
                        thumbnail_image8e.jpg
                        Last edited by 650Skull; 02-06-2021, 04:39 AM.
                        Albums

Comment

Series of pics showing the exhaust and solutions to cutting the muffler off the double walled headers

Semantic of the whole exhaust
                          MjEzMDcxMQ-a261b573.jpg
                          Last edited by 650Skull; 02-06-2021, 04:51 AM.
                          Albums

Comment

@ metalfab Yes, you bring up all the points that can be problematic in this situation. No, on the bone yards, these models are thin on the ground as is and i don't even know if they were factory sold into NZ. This bike was imported by the PO about 3 or so years ago from Canada.

Yes i am aware the headers are double walled and cutting the factory muffler off the header the inner pipe has to be made to connect a slip on Muffler. Then made to seal so the exhaust fumes won't go back between the inner and out pipes on the header.

there are 2 ways to do this. Getting the right reducer/adapter that slips over the inner pipe from the header and expands so the slip on muffler goes over the large end of the reducer/Adapter. These come in different sizes.

Shows in sequence in Posts #25,#24,#23

The second way is to weld the inner and outer pipes together and weld a collar on so a slip-on muffler can be used. Post #22, #21

Making it suit, (as in looking close to original or just good), is an issue as the GS650E exhaust had a small heat shied bolted to the header where it expanded out to the Muffler. Where to cut is also and issue as i haven't had any experience with these.

If someone has done this before i would be very grateful to hear how it was done and some measurements on where the best place is to cut
                            Last edited by 650Skull; 02-06-2021, 04:56 AM.
                            Albums

Comment

Working...
                            X