idle issues cont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle issues cont

hi guys so after taking your advice i changed orings cleaned carbs throughly,as per tutorial, synced butterflys,REINSTALLED started with choke fine pushed choke in abit after a minute blipped throttle revs snapped back to idle no hanging revs great.pushed choke in when warmed up it struggled to idle so adjusted idle to idle at 1000rpm now when i blip throttle revs abit slower returning to idle but not hanging thou,so adjusted idle screw back to initial position so now struggling to idle againl so i screwed out mixture screws from 2.5 to 3 turns to increase revs but no change tryed 3.5 turns still no change im thinking i should see a change!or should i screw them in to lean it out to increase revs ! it seems if i open up butterflys to increase idle my revs returning to idle gets slower.should the engine be able to idle with the butterflys shut! should the valve be infront of th 3 little pilot ports when throttle is closed.the bike gs550l 1982 came with a 4 into 1 exhaust jetting is standard. cheers paul.
    Last edited by bean1969; 01-29-2021, 11:05 PM.

Ok, cleaned carbs thoroughly,?
    Did you follow the carb cleaning tutorial?

Idle issues generally stem from:
    Dirty idle circuits in carbs
    Bad O rings
    Tight valves
    Air leaks

Since you give us no idea what bike you're talking about, or what you've done to date, a precise answer is impossible

And, please use some paragraphs and punctuation
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Ok, cleaned carbs thoroughly,?
      Did you follow the carb cleaning tutorial?

Idle issues generally stem from:
      Dirty idle circuits in carbs
      Bad O rings
      Tight valves
      Air leaks

Since you give us no idea what bike you're talking about, or what you've done to date, a precise answer is impossible

And, please use some paragraphs and punctuation
      dont assume big t that everybody has equal ability to put there thoughts into words on paper regards paul.

Comment

I think i am seeing that it idled well at one point when warm and you had the idle set at 1000 rpm but that it was slightly slow to return to that idle?
        I wouldn't be using the mixture screws to try and adjust the idle.

Big T mentioned a number of causes of erratic idle. I lean towards air leaks.
        You have a 4-1 with stock jetting? What airbox/filter are you using?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

“...should the engine be able to idle with the butterflys shut?”

yes, they are just open a sliver.....the little holes in carb throat supply enough mixture to sustain a steady idle.
          go back to mixture screws at 2.5 to 3 turns out....with bike fully warmed up (and choke fully turned off) set idle stop screw to give a 1200 rpm idle. Make sure the “choke” plungers are fully off or you will get an erratic idle when warmed up.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can I suggest using a colour tune to set up the idle.

I found that just adjusting the idle screws is pointless unless you are a carburetor jedi, with the colour tune you can see the burn as you adjust the screws and it works a treat. If you do have an air leak the mixture will show you it's lean by the white-ish colour of the spark.

I messed around setting up my 33mm smoothbores for weeks, riding and changing but could not get the idle right, gave up and went to the local motor factors and purchased a Gunson colour tune and no more than an hour later the bike idles fine.

Of course I am hoping you have at least 11v at the coils, the plug gaps are correct, even with a rough idle you have sprayed WD40 or easystart around the carb boots to see if the revs rise, the slides are all at the same hight and the carbs are balanced if that's all done then use the colour tune and away you go, hopefully.
            Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              I think i am seeing that it idled well at one point when warm and you had the idle set at 1000 rpm but that it was slightly slow to return to that idle?
              I wouldn't be using the mixture screws to try and adjust the idle.

Big T mentioned a number of causes of erratic idle. I lean towards air leaks.
              You have a 4-1 with stock jetting? What airbox/filter are you using?
              hi steve thanks for reply yes it idled with choke slighty on and revs returned sharply back to idle.when i turned choke off it struggled to idle so i adjusted idle to 1000 rpm and yes when throttle was blipped revs were slower to return. IT seemed to me the more i opened up the butterflys the worse the return to idle got. i synced the the carbs on the bench to my to haynes manual which said to set them till you cant see light past them so basically shut!should it be able to idle at this position. yes it has stock air box i will double check for air leaks but havent found one so far thanks for your help and big t i do take on board all advice cheers paul

Comment

hi tom thanks for reply,if you open up the buttrflys to increase revs, does it not increase chance of hanging revs as you will be allowing the fuel from the 3 little fuel ports to contiue to supply fuel when throttle is shut as butterflys will not be completly closed.!hope you can clear me up on this its just what i got in my head!cheers paul

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                  Can I suggest using a colour tune to set up the idle.

I found that just adjusting the idle screws is pointless unless you are a carburetor jedi, with the colour tune you can see the burn as you adjust the screws and it works a treat. If you do have an air leak the mixture will show you it's lean by the white-ish colour of the spark.

I messed around setting up my 33mm smoothbores for weeks, riding and changing but could not get the idle right, gave up and went to the local motor factors and purchased a Gunson colour tune and no more than an hour later the bike idles fine.

Of course I am hoping you have at least 11v at the coils, the plug gaps are correct, even with a rough idle you have sprayed WD40 or easystart around the carb boots to see if the revs rise, the slides are all at the same hight and the carbs are balanced if that's all done then use the colour tune and away you go, hopefully.
                  i will check these pionts bob, im almost there compared to what it was rev s were hanging bad a week ago but not to much now. thanks for info cheers paul.

Comment

hi guys so went round to dads today started bike up with choke on and butterflys closed idled fine pushed choke in bike wont idle but revs out good,good throttle response and revs come down nice but just wont idle.i turned idle screw to get it to idle at 1000rpm sprayed carb cleaner all around jionts boots etc no change in engine tone i cant find air, leak,blip throttle now and revs hang. if there was a air leak wouldnt it effect the revs when butterflys are closed and i rev it!.if it should idle with butterflys closed then is this pointing to a pilot circuit issue cheers paul.

Comment

You might want to try this. Starting with the #1 carb, slowly turn in the pilot screw, one of two things will happen, the revs will either fall or climb. If they climb continue turning the screw in until the revs fall then back it out about 1/4 turn. You may have to reset the idle down, then move on to the #2 carb and repeat until all carbs have been adjusted. It may take a couple goes to get them right.

You may have to set the idle up to start. Have you performed a vacuum sync first to match carbs first. The above process is called lean best idle adjustment. Hope this helps.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

hi gustov no i havent done a vacuum sync yet im assumming it should run somewhere near before hand, ive done a bench sync, am i wrong in thinking this!. i will do as you suggest with the mixture screws tomorrow and let you know results. Can you confirm if the engine should idle with butterflys closed without choke on!because if it should im thinking have a problem with fuel supply in pilot circuit, what do you think!, cheers paul

Comment

Originally posted by bean1969 View Post
                          Can you confirm if the engine should idle with butterflys closed without choke on!because if it should im thinking have a problem with fuel supply in pilot circuit, what do you think!, cheers paul
                          The throttle butterflies on CV carbs control the air flow through the venturi leading to fuel pick up and hence the throttle and idle.
                          The bike cannot idle with them fully closed as there would be no flow of air.
                          Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                          VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bean1969 View Post
                            hi gustov no i havent done a vacuum sync yet im assumming it should run somewhere near before hand, ive done a bench sync, am i wrong in thinking this!. i will do as you suggest with the mixture screws tomorrow and let you know results. Can you confirm if the engine should idle with butterflys closed without choke on!because if it should im thinking have a problem with fuel supply in pilot circuit, what do you think!, cheers paul
                            A bench sync can get you close and running, sometimes plenty good enough. I believe that the pilot circuit is too fat in your case and that the butterflies are not your problem. If the lean best does not do it for you...time to pull and go through the carbs again. Do not forget to use a big fan on the engine while running it and making adjustment.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

idle issues

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
                              The throttle butterflies on CV carbs control the air flow through the venturi leading to fuel pick up and hence the throttle and idle.
                              The bike cannot idle with them fully closed as there would be no flow of air.
                              hi zed thanks for reply im not sure thou because the haynes manuel says to set butterflies till you cant see no light past them this is virtually closed but obviously there not a perfect seal so some air will get through plus you have the suction from the engine pulling fuel !it does seem to idle on choke with butterflies closed but not without choke! i dont know i can see where your coming from too, i im getting really frustrated i appreciate your help thou, today i noticed no4 cylinder not firing checked out plug cap, lead ,coil etc there not the culprits so gonna do comprresion test and pull carbs of again, cheers paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X