Front Fork Tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fork Tutorial?

I was wondering if someone has created a step-by-step guide on rebuilding the front forks on the GS's. I've never done it and mine needs it done.
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

Originally posted by nutz4spd View Post
    I was wondering if someone has created a step-by-step guide on rebuilding the front forks on the GS's. I've never done it and mine needs it done.
    Front Forks? Are there rear forks that I don't know about???
    I'm just razzin ya. I imagine most people on here would point you in the direction of your shop manual.
    I can relate though, I love a good tutorial. Have you checked Youtube? I just did a search, "how to rebuild GS motorcycle forks", and found a bunch of vids related to the subject.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 02-02-2021, 03:04 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

If you find the factory service manual (available for download from BikeCliff's Website, linked in my signature) insufficient, you can take a look at this supplement. It may apply to your bike, not exactly sure. When I rebuilt mine, I used both as my guide, along with my Clymer's manual, and asked for advice on the forum if I got really stuck on something.

Before you ask. OEM fork seals only, and 10W Fork Oil is fine for most people.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You can usually just get away with new oil seals & switching out the oil... of course better springs from Sonic or Progressive help a lot. Emulators too if you're going for the full upgrade...

From memory oil height should be about 140mm when refilling.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

OPINION WARNING ***

Buy the Motion Pro seal driver is the best advice I can give you -
          I have done forks on several bikes now and this one thing has saved me from re-doing them -
          It is not easy for a novice to get a good seal by using PVC or something else to drive and seat the new seals

Do research - Check You Tube - many forks share common parts and designs so you may learn something that could help once you get going.
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

A couple of my experiences.

Last edited by dorkburger; 02-10-2021, 03:31 PM.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hi, one thing not mentioned in the manual is that it is usually easier to crack loose the fork cap and damper rod bolt when the forks are still on the bike with weight on the front wheel . Just don't use forget to loosen the fork top triple clamp bolts before you crack the fork cap. I have also use old fork seals with small section cut out [about 2mm] so as to reduce the O.D, to drive in the new seals.
              1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Not sure which size your bike needs --

I own 2 sets -- one for my GS850GL and one for my GL1800 Goldwing -

Best money I ever spent
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  Hi, one thing not mentioned in the manual is that it is usually easier to crack loose the fork cap and damper rod bolt when the forks are still on the bike with weight on the front wheel . Just don't use forget to loosen the fork top triple clamp bolts before you crack the fork cap. I have also use old fork seals with small section cut out [about 2mm] so as to reduce the O.D, to drive in the new seals.
                  Or you can put it in a bench vise with the spring still in and top on then open it up. Also a powered impact driver will make short work of it
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Have a look here for fork strip info
                    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

My .02 from experience recently on my '82 GS1100E - the dampener rod bolt was the only tricky thing as others mentioned. I couldn't seem to verify if mine could be secured from the inside by the method others suggest in many threads on this forum

Example: Post #4: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...light=DAMPENER
                      A 17mm nut into the dampener rod. Many people use a piece of allthread and 4 nuts to do this

I ended up buying the 'tool' which is shown here: https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/09940-34561 because I just couldn't see down in there to know for sure whether a 17mm nut would fit, and I didn't want to guess or screw it up. Well of course when I took it apart (impact driver helped) I saw the 17mm method would fit, and be much more secure.

It was a waste of $20 - even though it worked OK, it just jams into the bottom (I had to borrow a loloooong 3/8 extension).
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Or you could find an old broken broom handle, whittled to look the part of that $20 part. Some damper rods (like mine) have a round hole, and no all-thread/nuts, nor upside-down spark plug socket on yay extensions will bite in this round recess.

Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I think that would have just shredded given how stubborn mine were - I actually tried grinding down a fire poker which turned out to be very similar to the part I bought. Wife has plenty of spare broom handles but she needs for riding .
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well, I got the forks off and the tubes separated. After talking with the guys at the dealer (they were the cheapest for OEM seals) I decided I didn't need to completely disassemble the forks. The main reason for doing this is I had a leaking seal and dust cover so for now, I'm leaving the lower portion alone. Especially since it only has just under 11,000 miles on it.
                            Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
                            1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
                            2017 Indian Scout
                            2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

With the tube apart, not much left to completely disassemble. Now is the best time to clean everything. There is also no better opportunity to polish the lower fork tubes.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X