81 gs 450 t. Choke position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs 450 t. Choke position

I realize how stupid this question is , but need to know...is the choke lever being pushed down ...on...engine will die right away...

If it is in the center of the handlebars, you pull it up to engage for cold starting.

Do NOT roll the throttle AT ALL when using the "choke" for starting.

Adjust cold idle speed with the positioh of the "choke" knob.

When bike is warm enough to respond to blips of the throttle, you can slowly push the knob IN.

When carbs are cleaned and adjusted properly, you should be able to start bike, put on helmet, go to half-"choke", put bike in gear, ride off. By the time you are in third gear, push the knob all the way IN.

Where are you in "Indiana"? One of us might be close enough to help.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The choke lever is on left side of carbs and a lever that is up or down. When pushed down I believe that is on...really hard to get idle to stay ar 1000 or 1200 rpms...starts with no choke on..Bloomington in....Honda seem much easier to work on..had a 81 Yamaha 650 that was also easier than this suzuki

Comment

I believe that pushing the lever down does engage the "choke".

How long have you had this bike and/or how much do you know of its history?

If it starts without the "choke", something is probably wrong. If it does not idle, it's likely the carbs need to be cleaned.

Not too many of us within an hour of you right now, but in the third week of June, you need to come down to Bedford to meet us at our annual gathering.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yep, Steve has it right, down is full choke, up is all the way off. On mine generally speaking it needed to be kept full on for a minute or two when the temps got below 50 degrees or so and maybe 30-45 seconds up to the mid 60's. Once it gets warmed up you'll notice it bogging down, pull the lever up and hit the gas. Generally speaking it rarely needed the choke for a cold start about 70 or so. So, being in Indiana this time of year if you're able to start it without the choke and it bogs after a minute or two that tells me you're running too rich (WAY too rich) As to comparing it with the Yamaha 650, it's the same carb with different jets!
          Last edited by LAB3; 02-04-2021, 08:47 PM.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Starts without choke, in the cold . . . .

Can you tell us if stock air box, stock exhaust...?
            Can you tell us what jets are installed....?
            Maybe someone modified things and rejetted, like would need to with custom exhaust and/or pods, but over did it.

Can you see if the choke lever is actually connected to the carbs...?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I believe that pushing the lever down does engage the "choke".

How long have you had this bike and/or how much do you know of its history?

If it starts without the "choke", something is probably wrong. If it does not idle, it's likely the carbs need to be cleaned.

Not too many of us within an hour of you right now, but in the third week of June, you need to come down to Bedford to meet us at our annual gathering.

This is the 8 th rebuild I have done. Been a nightmare..2 different wiring harness and 2 ignitor units ..only had spark on one side..finely found the problem ..the plug in from the pulse generator was not making contact properly so I cut it and wired it direct..now running pretty good..I sent carbs to brennys Motorcycle clinic in iowa..they have rebuilt 6 so far..the idle adjustment wheel was a little tricky but it is idle at 1500 rpms..but really haven't driven it except around the block...stock 2 into one ehaust..air box is stock...maybe I can make it down to bedford..my 5 th bike was a 81 gs 550 and once I got the points right was a great running bike ..I miss it

Comment

Originally posted by Willishal View Post
                .my 5 th bike was a 81 gs 550 and once I got the points right was a great running bike ..I miss it
                Where did you find an '81 GS with points?

As far as I know, all GSes sold in the US had electronic ignition, starting with the 1980 model.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

...stock 2 into one ehaust..
                  Really ? I'd suggest that someone's altered the jetting to compensate for this pipe.

Comment

This is the 8 th rebuild I have done. Been a nightmare..2 different wiring harness and 2 ignitor units ..only had spark on one side..finely found the problem ..the plug in from the pulse generator was not making contact properly so I cut it and wired it direct..now running pretty good..I sent carbs to brennys Motorcycle clinic in iowa..they have rebuilt 6 so far..the idle adjustment wheel was a little tricky but it is idle at 1500 rpms..but really haven't driven it except around the block...stock 2 into one ehaust..air box is stock...maybe I can make it down to bedford..my 5 th bike was a 81 gs 550 and once I got the points right was a great running bike ..I miss it
                    No points, a pick up that has 4 wires connecting to the main wiring harness..tks for responses..guess that bike didn't come with 2 into one

Comment

Working...
                    X