Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

impossible task of fitting rubber boot to brake caliper

Hi,

I'm having a hell of a job fitting the boot to my rear brake caliper. There is only the smallest of ridges for the boot to fit the boot lip on the brake, or maybe it goes around something rather than in something, or maybe this brake has no boot? Can anyone tell me the exact technique, I can't believe it that it's so difficult.

Cheers

Dave
    Suzuki GS1000G 1980.

for instance is it 1 or 2, I think it is 1 but then 1 is hardly a ridge at all and the rubber boot refuses to sit there

Comment

I've had luck with taking those boots and dropping them in boiling water for a minute or so. Seems to shrink the rubber after they cool?? Might be worth a try?
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
      1982 GS1100E
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I've done several of those and it's a puzzle each time as my memory is shot from too much, umm, clean living. I just did them a few months ago on my '82 GS1100E and will be doing again on my '79 GS1000E. As I recall (ummm...) they just slot lightly into that inner ridge, I used a bit of silicone brake grease. I recall thinking "can that be it?" but with them all the way settled in it's enough grab to keep them seated.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I just cant believe that this tiny ridge is supposed to hold the boots. If I compare with other brakes (eg car brakes) there is a proper deep groove and the boot fits well. In fact if I were to design this thing I would make the boot go over something, then the stretchyness of the rubber would hold it. The groove in the piston, that's fine, why can they not do something similar for the calipers? I want to hunt down Mr Yakimoto or whoever and give him a piece of my mind!

Comment

I'm having a hard time remembering but seem to think the boot goes on the outside of the lip, where arrow 2 is pointing.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think that is correct Nessism. That's why I try to shrink them before installing. That lip is really small and if the boot has stretched, it does not want to stay in place.
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I went through that a few months ago. The silicone brake grease definitely helped get the boot back on.

Here a couple of pics if they help. Before and after. Sorry, I don't remember the order of assembly. Just fumbled with it till it went together.

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Definitely on the outside then (nice little joke of Suzuki to do a fake inner ridge ).
                  Thanks for clearing that up. But it's strange because when I did the front brakes the boot went into an inside groove, unless of course I did something wrong?

Cheers

Dave

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  I went through that a few months ago. The silicone brake grease definitely helped get the boot back on.

Here a couple of pics if they help. Before and after. Sorry, I don't remember the order of assembly. Just fumbled with it till it went together.

Last edited by DaveWatts; 02-05-2021, 06:28 AM.

Comment

That's a good tip. But I have new boots so they'll probably be ok.

Comment

When I struggled my way through this about a year ago I was really discouraged as it seemed impossible

Then I decided to stay patient and use a little brake fluid as a good lubricant and work them OVER that edge slowly -
                      Start at one point and run your fingers around the circle in both directions until you get back together -
                      Of course one edge will pop off once you think you have it -- but suddenly and without warning it will stay ON -
                      You will feel emboldened and try another - only to face more frustration -

I will rate this work at -- 2 beers

I doubt that explanation helps any - but I hope you were entertained a little
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Yes, beer to dull the frustration, good idea!

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                        When I struggled my way through this about a year ago I was really discouraged as it seemed impossible

Then I decided to stay patient and use a little brake fluid as a good lubricant and work them OVER that edge slowly -
                        Start at one point and run your fingers around the circle in both directions until you get back together -
                        Of course one edge will pop off once you think you have it -- but suddenly and without warning it will stay ON -
                        You will feel emboldened and try another - only to face more frustration -

I will rate this work at -- 2 beers

I doubt that explanation helps any - but I hope you were entertained a little

Comment

I like to take lots of pics as i disassemble things........I'm good at taking things apart and without some visual record they usually stay apart ....
                          82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                          Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                          Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                          Albums

Comment

​This process is more ART than SCIENCE --
                            Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I can do it after some minutes of fumbling, and I've done it many times, but I honestly have no idea how to describe the process in a helpful way.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X