Timing chain broke on a ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain broke on a ride

Took my GS out for a ride and towards the end going down a hill I heard an audible snap (and some other rather unpleasant sounds) and lost all power. Pulled over and tried to see if it would turned over and nada. Got it home and removed the valve cover and... timing chain snapped in two places leaving some of it draped on the cams. Two rockers are snapped clean off and a lock nut is mysteriously missing. Guess its time for an overhaul or a new engine. If anyone has spares in the South East US I would be interested. Sad way to end a week.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bikes:
    2016 Suzuki TU250X (Daily/Commuter)
    1982 Suzuki GS750T (Project)
    1979 Suzuki GS750 (in pieces)

Cage:
    2005 Subaru WRX Wagon sh*t box

Ugh. I feel your pain. Last year I had an over rev situation that broke all 4 rocker arms of their shafts on the intake side. One adjuster net spun itself off but I found it later. It was thrown all around the valve area and thrashed the cam chain guide but did not fall down the tunnel. Cam chain stayed intact. I got lucky (luckier than you anyway). I still plan an overhaul but I’ve set that engine aside for now. Bought another 16v 750 engine from fabulous member Storm64. Rebuilt the top end of that engine and put it in the bike. Took me a little over a month.

May want to look for an 1100 engine and swap it in. As I understand, it may just need some modification at some of the mounts. Probably more to it than that.

Sorry for your luck.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 02-09-2021, 08:13 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
    X