Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2021 Music thread

Old punks never die, we just stand in the back and go to bed at a more reasonable hour!

So, how DO you keep playing punk when all the band members look like they could be the fathers of the majority of the people in the crowd?? THIS IS HOW!

Last edited by LAB3; 02-16-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

Now that made me want to listen to Social D and Bad Religion, too.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Seems I have the same attitude about music as I have about old bikes: they need periodic servicing and restoration, which is also a lot of fun.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Here's one that I found interesting. Larnell Lewis is a jazz and fusion drummer (Snarky Puppy) and a music educator. He was challenged to listen to a style he doesn't play and then play it. The active listening part is interesting. It's a talent I don't have. I can play a handful of instruments with sheet music in front of me but playing by ear is beyond my abilities.

1981 GS550T (Long gone)
    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

That was fun! I guess Mr. Lewis is young enough to have missed hearing "Enter Sandman" absolutely all day everywhere. I'd swear I heard a Muzak version in an elevator once.

It was really interesting seeing him figure out the structure of the song in real-time. I played bass and sang in a busy cover band for about 12 years, and I've done the same hundreds of times.

It wasn't perfect; he missed some of the surprise stuff after the solo, and of course missed the "BOOM!" near the end. Which makes sense; these elements were in there precisely because they're surreal; they break the structure in order to startle the listener, exactly like a nightmare.

If you've ever seen the video, you would never, ever forget the "BOOM!" That was a heart-stopping shot of a black semi truck at speed demolishing a child's bed.

Most songs in popular genres are far more predictable. For example, country and blues can be super-predictable; it's what you do within the accepted structures. Someone once asked us to play an old country song we didn't know (we played classic rock). One guy half-remembered the words, hollered "medium country in C" over his shoulder, and away we went. (And yes, it was one of many "Blues Brothers" moments. Lots of "Spinal Tap" moments as well. Those movies were mostly documentaries of life in a band...)

Same for most pop and rock songs; people tend to like stuff they can quickly understand and remember. But this sort of thing can also get tiresome more quickly. Artists that can adeptly break the conventions, like Rush or Billie Eilish, can be really interesting to listen to.
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-29-2021 at 11:02 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

I always wished I had the ability to listen and play. Even with the notes in front of me I struggled. My best contribution to music would be to use one of my guitars as kindling to light my piano and use the fire to melt my horn into a paperweight. And to follow up with previous posts, one of the pop tarts can rock....

This woman has bags of talent. She also does country (Jolene) and the blues.

Jim
    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post

It was really interesting seeing him figure out the structure of the song in real-time.
    Structure gets awfully intricate in Math Rock and Free Jazz when something rather chaotic sounding comes around and resolves itself.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

And another for good measure.

Flash back about 20 years, I am learning how to play these two right now.

1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle