Clutch Cable Lengths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Cable Lengths?

Anybody out there ever bothered to figure the lengths of the clutch cable, between the various choices of GS1000 & GSX1100E?

I have a new one for the GS But it's severely heavy & long, however i took the one off my GSX1100EF which appears to be 3-4" shorter & works much better

Problem is it's well worn & i really have no idea if one or either are the matching parts to the bikes, so have no idea what to order to replace both!

What exactly are "the bikes" (what year is the 1000)? Are they wearing the stock handle bars?

Tip: when installing a new cable, leave the old one on until you have the new one routed right next to it.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Neither bike is stock in any way. Main reason i need lengths so i can try them out.

GS1000 is a 78 frame, but has a B12 front end with Fatbars on.
      GSX1100EFE is a 84 but has a GSXR1100L front end with fatbars on. Also de-fairing'd.

Comment

If you have any kind of shorter bar on any of the larger 8V GS incl the 1000 the cable from the 1000S usually fits best...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'll assume then that the S has lower profile bars?
          The new cable i have has a middle adjuster & is way too long.
          I'm guessing people sell generic cables to try & cover many bikes at once?
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes lower bars...and different PNs for the cables.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well having bought 2 claimed GS1000s cables, one was identical in length to the long one i had here, then the 2nd one turned up & wahay, it's 3" ish shorter!

P/No on it was 58200-49011.

Longer is either 58200-49001 or 49000

Comment

It might be possible to do some sleuthing and cross-referencing with Parts Unlimited and/or Motion Pro cables, then trace these back to Suzuki models and part numbers.

I'm pretty sure that Parts Unlimited cables have the length embedded in the part number.

Then you'd need to peruse the fiches a bit to make sure the bikes in question had the same sort of connection to the engine.

On no account should you allow either brand of imitation garbage anywhere near your GS, of course. But their application listings might be one avenue for beginning to figure this out.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Are Motion Pro cables that bad? I'm pretty sure I've used them on several bikes and never had a failure or anything hinky go on with them. Count me as lucky maybe but being financially challenged, I got what I could afford and was actually pretty happy with what I received and used.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  It might be possible to do some sleuthing and cross-referencing with Parts Unlimited and/or Motion Pro cables, then trace these back to Suzuki models and part numbers.

I'm pretty sure that Parts Unlimited cables have the length embedded in the part number.

Then you'd need to peruse the fiches a bit to make sure the bikes in question had the same sort of connection to the engine.

On no account should you allow either brand of imitation garbage anywhere near your GS, of course. But their application listings might be one avenue for beginning to figure this out.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                    Are Motion Pro cables that bad? I'm pretty sure I've used them on several bikes and never had a failure or anything hinky go on with them. Count me as lucky maybe but being financially challenged, I got what I could afford and was actually pretty happy with what I received and used.
                    Sure, yeah, imitation cables and levers will usually function OK, assuming they've bothered to get the application data correct. Can you usually get them faster and will they get you out of a pinch? Sure.

I've used the imitations many times as well. My V-Strom is still wearing a crappy set of Motion Pro throttle cables because the OEMs were backordered when I damaged one in the course of some other work. They were $20 more than the OEM set, and very visibly far worse quality.

When you put the imitations side-by-side with genuine Suzuki parts, the difference in materials and build quality and smoothness is pretty stark. The housings and hardware are nowhere near as robust, and the cables are thinner.

The control feel you end up with is much worse, and they don't last nearly as long. Clutch levers are especially bad -- they're a much softer alloy than OEM, so the hole for the cable barrel end wears into an oval very quickly; this keeps the barrel from rotating freely and soon the back and forth bending breaks the cheap cable.

Worst of all, imitation crap is usually very close or sometimes even more than the price of genuine Suzuki parts.

The same goes for things like tach and speedo cables; for example the threads in the end fittings are very poorly formed and vibrate loose much more easily, and they never last as long.

If we ever meet, I'll invite you to squeeze the clutch lever on my GS850... it's like buttuh with a fresh OEM lever, cable, and clutch springs.

I used imitations for a long time, since Cycle Recycle II is 20 minutes from my house, and usually has the cables I need on the shelf. Until I checked the prices and availability of OEM parts, I just figured raunchy control feel and frequently broken clutch, tach, and speedo cables and worn out levers were a normal thing.

Again, OEM Suzuki levers and cables usually only cost a few bucks more from many different online sellers, and are sometimes even cheaper than the aftermarket junk. They end up a lot cheaper because they last a lot longer, not to mention you'll be a lot safer with more reliable parts. Plus, the controls will feel a lot better, which is pretty important. Obviously, the downside is that it'll take a few extra days to get them.
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                      Well, that's the thing: they're much worse but they're not really cheaper. Financially challenged or no, stop and check the pricing and availability of OEM before ordering imitations.

Sure, yeah, imitation cables and levers will usually function OK, assuming they've bothered to get the application data correct. Can you usually get them faster and will they get you out of a pinch? Sure.

I've used the imitations many times as well. My V-Strom is still wearing a crappy set of Motion Pro throttle cables because the OEMs were backordered when I damaged one in the course of some other work. They were $20 more than the OEM set, and very visibly far worse quality. But they did work.

When you put the imitations side-by-side with genuine Suzuki parts, the difference in materials and build quality and smoothness is pretty stark. The housings and hardware are nowhere near as robust, and the cables are thinner.

The control feel you end up with is much worse, and they don't last nearly as long. Clutch levers are especially bad -- they're a much softer alloy than OEM, so the hole for the cable barrel end wears into an oval very quickly; this keeps the barrel from rotating freely and soon the back and forth bending breaks the cheap cable.

Worst of all, imitation crap is usually very close or sometimes even more than the price of genuine Suzuki parts.

The same goes for things like tach and speedo cables; for example the threads in the end fittings are very poorly formed and vibrate loose much more easily, and they never last as long.

If we ever meet, I'll invite you to squeeze the clutch lever on my GS850... it's like buttuh with a fresh OEM lever, cable, and clutch springs.

I used imitations for a long time, since Cycle Recycle II is 20 minutes from my house, and usually has the cables I need on the shelf. Until I checked the prices and availability of OEM parts, I just figured raunchy control feel and frequently broken clutch, tach, and speedo cables and worn out levers were a normal thing.

Again, OEM Suzuki levers and cables usually only cost a few bucks more from many different online sellers, and are sometimes even cheaper than the aftermarket junk. They end up a lot cheaper because they last a lot longer, not to mention you'll be a lot safer with more reliable parts. Plus, the controls will feel a lot better, which is pretty important. Obviously, the downside is that it'll take a few extra days to get them.

I see that this has turned into a bit of a rant... but really, they should be ashamed for making and selling this crap.

Motion Pro actually does make better-than-OEM cables for some modern bikes and dirtbikes, with beefier cables, stiffer housings, and better anti-friction linings. And they have a custom cable service where they can build whatever length and hardware you need for special purposes. But the run of the mill replacements are honestly dreadful, and the Parts Unlimited stuff is a little worse still.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 02-13-2021, 09:55 AM.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                      X