Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Cable Lengths?

Default Clutch Cable Lengths?

Anybody out there ever bothered to figure the lengths of the clutch cable, between the various choices of GS1000 & GSX1100E?

I have a new one for the GS But it's severely heavy & long, however i took the one off my GSX1100EF which appears to be 3-4" shorter & works much better

Problem is it's well worn & i really have no idea if one or either are the matching parts to the bikes, so have no idea what to order to replace both!

What exactly are "the bikes" (what year is the 1000)? Are they wearing the stock handle bars?

Tip: when installing a new cable, leave the old one on until you have the new one routed right next to it.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Neither bike is stock in any way. Main reason i need lengths so i can try them out.

GS1000 is a 78 frame, but has a B12 front end with Fatbars on.
    GSX1100EFE is a 84 but has a GSXR1100L front end with fatbars on. Also de-fairing'd.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

If you have any kind of shorter bar on any of the larger 8V GS incl the 1000 the cable from the 1000S usually fits best...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I'll assume then that the S has lower profile bars?
    The new cable i have has a middle adjuster & is way too long.
    I'm guessing people sell generic cables to try & cover many bikes at once?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well having bought 2 claimed GS1000s cables, one was identical in length to the long one i had here, then the 2nd one turned up & wahay, it's 3" ish shorter!

P/No on it was 58200-49011.

Longer is either 58200-49001 or 49000

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

It might be possible to do some sleuthing and cross-referencing with Parts Unlimited and/or Motion Pro cables, then trace these back to Suzuki models and part numbers.

I'm pretty sure that Parts Unlimited cables have the length embedded in the part number.

Then you'd need to peruse the fiches a bit to make sure the bikes in question had the same sort of connection to the engine.

On no account should you allow either brand of imitation garbage anywhere near your GS, of course. But their application listings might be one avenue for beginning to figure this out.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2002 DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue FOR SALE CHEEP!
    2005 KLR685 - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Are Motion Pro cables that bad? I'm pretty sure I've used them on several bikes and never had a failure or anything hinky go on with them. Count me as lucky maybe but being financially challenged, I got what I could afford and was actually pretty happy with what I received and used.

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    It might be possible to do some sleuthing and cross-referencing with Parts Unlimited and/or Motion Pro cables, then trace these back to Suzuki models and part numbers.

I'm pretty sure that Parts Unlimited cables have the length embedded in the part number.

Then you'd need to peruse the fiches a bit to make sure the bikes in question had the same sort of connection to the engine.

On no account should you allow either brand of imitation garbage anywhere near your GS, of course. But their application listings might be one avenue for beginning to figure this out.
    Tom

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by oldGSfan View Post
    Are Motion Pro cables that bad? I'm pretty sure I've used them on several bikes and never had a failure or anything hinky go on with them. Count me as lucky maybe but being financially challenged, I got what I could afford and was actually pretty happy with what I received and used.
    Sure, yeah, imitation cables and levers will usually function OK, assuming they've bothered to get the application data correct. Can you usually get them faster and will they get you out of a pinch? Sure.

I've used the imitations many times as well. My V-Strom is still wearing a crappy set of Motion Pro throttle cables because the OEMs were backordered when I damaged one in the course of some other work. They were $20 more than the OEM set, and very visibly far worse quality.

When you put the imitations side-by-side with genuine Suzuki parts, the difference in materials and build quality and smoothness is pretty stark. The housings and hardware are nowhere near as robust, and the cables are thinner.

The control feel you end up with is much worse, and they don't last nearly as long. Clutch levers are especially bad -- they're a much softer alloy than OEM, so the hole for the cable barrel end wears into an oval very quickly; this keeps the barrel from rotating freely and soon the back and forth bending breaks the cheap cable.

Worst of all, imitation crap is usually very close or sometimes even more than the price of genuine Suzuki parts.

The same goes for things like tach and speedo cables; for example the threads in the end fittings are very poorly formed and vibrate loose much more easily, and they never last as long.

If we ever meet, I'll invite you to squeeze the clutch lever on my GS850... it's like buttuh with a fresh OEM lever, cable, and clutch springs.

I used imitations for a long time, since Cycle Recycle II is 20 minutes from my house, and usually has the cables I need on the shelf. Until I checked the prices and availability of OEM parts, I just figured raunchy control feel and frequently broken clutch, tach, and speedo cables and worn out levers were a normal thing.

Again, OEM Suzuki levers and cables usually only cost a few bucks more from many different online sellers, and are sometimes even cheaper than the aftermarket junk. They end up a lot cheaper because they last a lot longer, not to mention you'll be a lot safer with more reliable parts. Plus, the controls will feel a lot better, which is pretty important. Obviously, the downside is that it'll take a few extra days to get them.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2002 DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue FOR SALE CHEEP!
    2005 KLR685 - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.