Thread: Anybody "TRIED" a throttle controller

Default Anybody "TRIED" a throttle controller

My 2013 Tacoma 2.7, 4X4, with a fly by wire throttle is really sluggish, way worse than the old "98" Tacoma 2.7, 4X4 with a cable operated throttle, that I sold to buy this 2013. I've been reading about these throttle controllers & wondering if they really help or just another gimmick. Would really like to hear from those who have tried them & know what differences they've seen (or felt), but any & all input appreciated.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Have you tried resetting the stock ECU & having it re-learn to your driving style?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

No, haven't tried anything yet, still trying to figure best option. On the Toyota & Toyota Tacoma forums, the re-tunes & performance tunes for the 2.7 eng. don't seem to do much, barley noticeable improvement. The exhaust & intake mods also get reviews that their improvements are very minor. For better performance with a 2.7 they recommend a supercharger or turbo. Way out of my $$$ range. I have read a lot of good reviews , on the Tacoma World forum & so far the throttle controllers seem like the most feasible option. They don't give any more power, but open the throttle when you push the pedal, like the cables did, back before the FBW that opens the throttle as slow as the computer wants to open it instead of as fast as the driver wants to open it. The controllers just uses the available power that is already there quicker, takes the sluggishness away. I'd just like info. from someone that has first hand experience with them. I wouldn't expect this thing to make a race truck out of my Taco, just wish I could get a drop or two of pep, dang this thing is a snail (slug) like it is. On Amazon, their reviews for the Pedal commander, for their Toyota Tacoma's unit (PC38) They got 85% 5 star reviews, Would the Amazon reviews be more accurate than the company reviews? Or am I just dreaming?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

I have looked at a couple for my Honda Fit. They do an ok job but heard your lighter throttle inputs are harder to manage as it basically tells the TB to go to 100% open at 20%, giving the impression of faster throttle response going to WOT but making cruising or light throttle inputs a total PITA to drive correctly.

K tuner makes some great ECU flashes that basically corrects the slow TB response for my Honda, also with intake modification, highflow cat/header (since the exhaust manifold is not headers but more like a turbo Down pipe), exhaust and Ktuner ECU flash guys are getting these little 1.5L DOHC i-VTEC engines in the 150whp range 140wft/lbs of torque. In a 2000lbs car with a 6-speed manual that's quick! I tow with my Fit... The best option I can say is to tune it, if you can. I'd say save the coin for a throttle controller and put it towards a new ECU flash.

Best,
    Last edited by Jedz123; 02-09-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer - Fazer 900 The Mule
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125 - Back road discoverer
    2009 Yamaha Vmax - The Ver'Monster
    2015 Kymco Agility 125
    1994 Acura Integra. The Cheap ole' Honda
    2017 Honda Fit - The Cheap New Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

If I am understanding you are having problems with a fly by wire throttle? If so I would reset the vehicles computer, and consider the possibility that the throttle controller or the sending unit (attached to gas pedal) being defective. I would also clean the throttle body internally with spray can carb cleaner, then oil it with WD40. When you throttle up you are telling the computer you want more throttle. The computer has to accept the signal, make calculations needed, then tell the throttle to open, then you get throttle. If your vehicle has the CAN bus system it is like the nerve system in the human body, everything goes through it. If you have a device malfunctioning using too much bandwidth the CAN bus can get too busy to respond quickly. Like the human nervous system, if you are riding a unicycle and juggling 3 balls and someone needs your attention, it might have to wait a second before you can process it. Also similar to a PC that slows down when it is too busy inside performing functions you cant see. Reset it, check for trouble codes, and look up any TSB's for your vehicle. TSB is an acronym for technical service bulletin. These are known problems the manufacturer is aware of, so TSB's are the notifications to dealerships about known defects. There might be a TSB dealing with your throttle system. Sometimes the TSB defects are covered by the manufacturer especially if they effect pollution or safety, but don't hold your breath.

The last thing is a lot of parts stores will check your codes for no cost, they are less likely to be able/willing to reset everything. You should be able to look up TSB's on line.
    Last edited by metalfab; 02-10-2021 at 03:12 AM.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Allot of these cars (especially Toyotas) have very sluggish TB response. Really apart of the coding of the vehicle to save fuel. Throttle by wire is a proven reliable system and with some coding you can make the TB more responsive. I did that with my T120 and what a difference a reflash does to the throttle by wire throttle response. The throttle controller tells the ECU 100% before you get to 100% on the input to quicken the feel. My Honda is just as bad just hitting the throttle and you can feel the lag. My Yaris wasn't as bad... Just how these cars are designed to squeeze out every fraction of a MPG to get a better EPA rating...

Almost all ECUs have a built in batteries, long gone is the day of just "reset" it and it works better. I've never heard of an ECU "lagging" before... That's a new one... They are quite powerful units these days. As stated a reflash will change how the TB responds and definitely perk up any vehicle, if there is support for your vehicle.

Cheers,
    Jedz Moto
    2015 Kymco Agility 125
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Been reading a lot about my dilemma. The folks selling the tunes brag on them, folks that tried them don't. No Service bulletins for my Tacoma's throttle. I'm not spending the $$$ for intake & exhaust. I bit the bullet & got a Sprint Booster throttle controller. Return within 30 days for any reason for full refund caught my eye. Thought I'd probably send it back. I'm not believing the improvement. It's woke my Taco up, my little 2.7 4 cyl. now drives better than I ever thought it would, about like the wife's Toyota Rav4 with the 3.5 V6. I don't have a clue how the cheaper brands will work, but this thing works. It actually has 18 settings, it came pre set on Sport 6, I've settled on the (Sport 7), Sport 9 would be the middle. Anything higher than 7 makes it too sensitive, peppy, or jerky for me. Well worth the $$$ just wonder if the ones for 1/2 the price would have done just as well. Now I know why the reviews are 85% to 90% pos. from those that have tried them, can't figure why 85% to 90% of folks that haven't tried them give neg reviews. Very happy I did this.

Never heard of this brand!https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRHO014

They make one for my Fit!

If I was going into winter I'd try one but the Fit is on the precipice of it's "season" and will be going into storage in a matter of weeks.

Thanks for the share! How is low end throttle? It doesn't snatch at cruising or 20% or less throttle input? How the MPG affected (if at all?)

Best,
    Jedz Moto
    2015 Kymco Agility 125

I drove an old "98" Tacoma w/2.7 4 cyl. with cable throttle for 10 yrs. all was fine. Traded for this 2013 Tacoma w/2.7 4 cyl. electronic (FBW) throttle, & it's just a slug, no pep at all. Just recently heard of these throttle controllers & what they do. Low end is where it helps the most, this thing just puts the pep in this 2013 that was lost from the old "98" model. Doesn't get snatchy or jerky till above the "SPORT" 7 setting. For me anything above that & it is too snatchy & jerky, just doesn't seem normal. Some other brands have an "ECONOMY" mode, makes throttle more sluggish than factory settings, but should save some gas. Sprint Boosters don't, their lowest setting is OEM. As peppy as mine feels now, the mpg has got to go down, don't have a clue, yet, but will have a better idea after a few tanks of gas. May not work for everybody, but for me it's great.

I had a Dodge SRT4 Caliber and I cant remember the sequence. But it was very easy to re-set the fbw throttle. Basically cycle the key a preset number of times while holding the throttle wide open, and then slowly release the pedal. Wonder if Toyota has some similar practice?