Learned something new!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned something new!

So I never knew that the killswitch should be left in the on position, I just used it as a extra step to turning on the bike but now i know that repeatedly using the killswitch could wear it out fast and come a day where your bike wont turn on!

So should I just turn the key instead when turning the bike off? It seems a bit impractical but I guess I should be fully stopped before turning the bike off so it shouldn't be a problem.

If this is just a load of BS just say so!
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

A debate as old as kill switches themselves. Opinion, There’s really no need to use the kill switch except in an emergency, where you might not be able to reach the key. Leaving it on can’t hurt anything. It will last longer if you don’t use it every time you start and stop the bike.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      A debate as old as kill switches themselves. Opinion, There’s really no need to use the kill switch except in an emergency, where you might not be able to reach the key. Leaving it on can’t hurt anything. It will last longer if you don’t use it every time you start and stop the bike.
      Goodstuff! I'll probably train myself not to use it as its turned into muscle memory.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

I use it every time for the last 50 years and I'm still waiting for it to wear out.

I do it so my natural response is the turn the bike off if I end up in the ditch or under the bike or something.

Haven't had it happen on the street since 76, but it's come in handy on my dual sports
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Keep in mind that the "kill switch" does not "kill" the entire bike on our GSes.
          It only cuts out the power to the coils (and start button).

If you see recommendation to use it al the time, I suspect the reasoning is just so that you develope the habit and are then familiar with it and maybe then use it in some emergency situation.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I was taught to always use it. I never really thought about why... My 83 has the original switch and it still works fine. I'm not concerned about it wearing out. My $0.02
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

It's nice to kill the engine before you take a hand off. Not that I haven't played "Look, Ma, no hands!"
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I don't even know if mine work....on any of the bikes....never used them...

EDIT: Actually, I know they work because I've accidently flipped them, and had to figure out why they won't start....LOL....
                Last edited by Baatfam; 02-11-2021, 07:52 AM.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I suppose I should be checking that it works more often than I do.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Bulls*it Plain and simple.
                    Any switch will wear it's contacts after many years of use and the ignition, lights, brake light an horn switches etc are more likely to wear faster then the kill.
                    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I've never used one. Never even thought about it.
                      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Am I the only one that has, more than once, killed the bike with the kill switch then walked away forgetting to turn the ign. off & returned to a dead batt. For that reason I try to not use that switch. Worried about wearing the switch out? Yes, I worry about that as much as I worry about wearing the light switches in my house.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

So, a friend of mine always used the kill switch to turn his bike off. One day I was walking out to the parking lot and there was his bike....with the key in the ignition. I swiped it and waited for him to show up. Amusing hyjinks ensued. I always shut my bike off with the key.

Mad
                          83 GS750E
                          2006 ZX14
                          2004 KTM 450 EXC
                          2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Am I the only one that has, more than once, killed the bike with the kill switch then walked away forgetting to turn the ign. off...
                            I've done that; never got to the point of a dead battery. It was back in my youthful, frenzied days.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Some switches clean their contacts by operating the switch, others take wear by use. IMHO it is like worrying if your kickstand is going to wear out by using it. Don't sweat it, it is a non issue.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X