1981 GS550L side panels on '81 GS550T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS550L side panels on '81 GS550T?

Does anyone know if the side panels for a 1981 GS550L will fit the frame tabs on the 81 GS550T? My T project came without panels, but a pair from an L have now popped up on FB marketplace. They are far enough and expensive enough that I don't want to drive that far and buy them on a lark. the pic below shows the mounting posts.

There are some T panels on ebay, but all are singles and expensive. I'd rather fab something out of sheetmetal or use a leather side bag than pay that much.

Thx

Last edited by sacruickshank; 02-11-2021, 08:20 AM.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Hmmm. Partshark doesn't list a 550L for 1981, only the 550T. .
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Hmmm. Partshark doesn't list a 550L for 1981, only the 550T. .
      Yup, Partzilla shows the same thing. That was my first stop.

Other online sources do list an 81 L, like this https://bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs_550_l_1981.php

I've asked the seller to verify the year, but that's probably 50/50 likelihood of success
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

THere is an L for 81 (my daughter's bike) but I have never tried to fit hers onto my T. I'll find a way to get over to the garage this weekend and try it for you if you are interested
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          THere is an L for 81 (my daughter's bike) but I have never tried to fit hers onto my T. I'll find a way to get over to the garage this weekend and try it for you if you are interested
          If it's easy, then sure and thank you. If it's a hassle or the panels are so fragile you might break a post, then don't bother.

Comment

Okay, I was actually able to make it over there tonight and took some pictures for you. In a nutshell, yes they will fit into the slots but as you can see, they don't sit the same. If you are just looking to get something on then sure do it. But if you want your T to look like a T or if you care about what someone else will say if you ever sell it then keep looking for the right ones.

Please forgive the photos as I only had my phone and the reflection from the overhead light is hard to edit out when I'm just trying to put a basic set of pictures together

My 81 550T (the chrome piece is busted on mine after I put my knee into it one day):

Outside

550T Side Cover Outside by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Inside

550T Side Cover Inside by Scott Baker, on Flickr

On the Bike

550T Side Cover On Bike by Scott Baker, on Flickr

My daughter's 81 550L:

Outside

550L Side Cover Outside by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Inside

550L Side Cover Inside by Scott Baker, on Flickr

On the Bike (notice the gap between the cover and the frame rail for the seat)

550L Side Cover On Bike by Scott Baker, on Flickr
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the pics cowboy. The mounting points are the same, but the plastic contour is different to match the different seats between the T and the L.

My project has the stock T seat, so I'll either keep looking or fab something up. Cosmetically, it will have non-standard finishes on the tank (bare metal with blue center stripe) and fenders (matte black with same stripe), so fab'd side panels will be OK. Or i'll wait for a pair of decent priced T panels.

Comment

Working...
              X