Opinion wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion wanted

Has anyone used the rear shocks from Emgo on their Suzuki? I just came across them and the look like the originals. I'm just curious about the ride quality. Then again, I'm sure anything is better than the sagging shocks on mine.
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

Originally posted by nutz4spd View Post
    Has anyone used the rear shocks from Emgo on their Suzuki? I just came across them and the look like the originals. I'm just curious about the ride quality. Then again, I'm sure anything is better than the sagging shocks on mine.
    Pretty sure the rear shocks are adjustable they got 4 different settings I believe, no clue about the shocks.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Get Hagons and be happy
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

They (and the same cheap Chinese shocks sold under many other names) are well known to be super-stiff and short-lived.

If you're really, really large and really, really broke, they're better than the shagged-out stockers, at least for a while.

But it's honestly very much worth the effort and time to scrape together a few more bucks and order up some Hagons. Progressive 12/412 series are also decent enough and priced in the same ballpark as the Hagons. If you're looking at Progressive brand, make sure you're looking at the total price, and not just the price of the shock bodies without springs.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          They (and the same cheap Chinese shocks sold under many other names) are well known to be super-stiff and short-lived.

If you're really, really large and really, really broke, they're better than the shagged-out stockers, at least for a while.

But it's honestly very much worth the effort and time to scrape together a few more bucks and order up some Hagons. Progressive 12/412 series are also decent enough and priced in the same ballpark as the Hagons. If you're looking at Progressive brand, make sure you're looking at the total price, and not just the price of the shock bodies without springs.
          I'm assuming I would need the 310mm or 320mm length shocks if I went with Hagon?
          Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
          2017 Indian Scout
          2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

Yeah, EMGO is junk. I have Progressive stuff front and rear on the Harley, and it is much better than stock, but I'll likely end up doing Ohlins on the rear in time.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

On my CB750 I made the mistake of getting a pair of the Emgos. They looked great but felt like no suspension at all, and I'm 220 lbs. They wouldn't move more than half an inch. I got my $ back. Good advice here, wish I'd heeded it.

On the GS1100E, the 'adjustable damping' collar on the top fit the Progressive 412s, though it does nothing except make it look stock. I find the Progressives to be quite good, had them on my GPz1100 B2 as well, no complaints.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

There were Emgos on mine when I bought it. They appeared okay but in a short time both were leaking badly and the top rubbers shot to the point that metal was contacting metal. I got a pair of street Hagons for about €200 and it transformed the ride completely. They are on seven years this summer and starting to show corrosion on the springs.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                X