Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I got the COVID shot today

Had my jab the Oxford AstraZeneca one two weeks ago, second one due April 25th had no problems still only got one head two arms and two legs.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    Francis Barnett
    various British nails

It's been a day and half since I got the first shot. My arm feels like I had a small sharp object jabbed into it because I did, LOL. No biggie I don't feel bad, I do feel a little low energy. I am feeling close enough to normal that I wouldn't think much of it on any other day. I did crave beef for the second day in a row, another T bone and that was taken care of. It was shamefully big, and I would do it again if I had the chance. I have a stash in the deep freeze I call the steak library. All boxed up trimmed, and vacuum sealed. I might have to seek help with my beef addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    When will we, wife & I, need a Covid shot? My wife & I both were told we had Covid, back in Oct. If I understand correctly, after we've had it we have the anti-bodies that you get from the shot. How long will our anti-bodies last? & when should we need to get the shot, or shots?
    The consensus seems to be that there are so many unknowns here, that there is no solid advice. Even professional help would just be a guess. It should strengthen your immunity to get the vaccine, even that isn't an absolute. Do some research at the CDC website, possibly email them the issue posed as a question. Personally I would get the vaccine, I would think it would be like a booster to any immunity you have acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTank View Post
    Well done metalfab. I've not gotten one yet, but I look forward to it. I'm super low on the list though, 40's, healthy, no pre-existing conditions, etc. Maybe in a few months? Here's hopin
    Thanks for the kind words. Contact your local county health department and get on the wait list, they should have it setup where they place you in sequence based on age/health. That way you wont miss your spot. There wont be enough to do everyone for a while. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LAB3 View Post
    I'm going to wait it out awhile yet before jumping on the bandwagon, I'm rather low on the "need" list anyhow and would prefer a single dose vaccine.
    You could do that and it is your call, but sometimes this pathogen is fatal. It can damage you to the point where you need to be on oxygen for the rest of your life. I know a few people like that, you don't want to live like that. Or you could barely get sick. You might infect another and their life could end as a result. So it can be terrible or better. One last thing is when enough of us get vaccinated a phenomena called herd immunity occurs. Herd as in herd of cows, just herd of people, you know us humanity. When enough people become immune the infection ceases to be effective at spreading. It goes from a pandemic to several localized infections, then to oblivion. It ends, the end IMHO is what we as a society need. That is how pandemics end, in the past it was infections and deaths that ended pandemics, we have the tech to take another route. We all take a risk taking such a new vaccine, still what do we owe to humanity? your call. I am not down on you if you don't get vaccine, I support your individual right to make your choice. The do I get it part, is just a lot deeper subject than many have thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by grcamna2 View Post
    That is good information. I am interested in getting the vaccine,the info you posted here is encouraging.I'm 64 so I may need to wait until my PCP and Sutter Health here near Sacramento(Davis)sends me a message to tell me it's time to get vaccinated.I would much rather get the shots,than hide-out in my dwelling 'social distancing'..
    I wouldn't wait unless you are signed up and on a list waiting to be called up. I would get with my local county health facility and get into the line, that would probably get you the vaccine asap.

Quote Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
    It's a little more complicated than that. The immunity mechanism is not exactly same, having had Covid vs. getting vaccinated. Probably a good idea to do some research on those questions.
    I'm in the same situation, and what I'm finding is the recommendation is to just get the vaccine when it's your turn, just ignore the fact that you've had Covid.
    I think I would do the same

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Rich has it right: Get the shot. It should be considered a civic duty. Don't waste time thinking about any relative immunity you may have as a result of contracting the virus. Remove as much doubt as possible about your immunity by getting the shot.
    Agreed heard immunity is the first step to shut this pathogen down and end the pandemic, get it asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
    Up where I live the availability of the vaccine is pretty bad. Right now they're only giving it to people older than 75. We're waiting to hear from our local medical center

Mad
    Here are my thoughts.....If you have a county medical clinic/center get on the waiting list. Trying to decipher when it's your time to go is confusing, and I eventually realized that can be irrelevant if you are not on the official waiting list. I say this because they give you authorization to be vaccinated. It is my understanding that everywhere you don't just show up when you calculate your time and say I am ready. I believe it is all setup to send authorization, in an attempt to not let those in the most need fall through the cracks. You can dial 211 on your phone to get local info a lot of times, it depends on where you live.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Patiently waiting my turn this hiding out in my home really sucks, only three shifts at work in the last year. I am getting a lot done on my GSX rebuild however.

Anyone who has had Covid should still get the vaccination there has been fairly solid evidence that you can become infected a 2nd time with covid with serious consequences.

Covid now that it's widespread may never be fully brought under control, best case scenario is that mutates and becomes much less dangerous. It's also possible it'll be like the flu and we'll need to be immunized every year for any new strains that appear.

Lives lost, economies destroyed, it'll be a relief to finally get this nightmare behind us.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

All the information I've seen is to get in line and get the jab as soon as you can. Basically, it's your duty as a resident of planet Earth.

Even if you've already had COVID-19, you should still get vaccinated when it's your turn to help ensure you don't get sick again and that you don't spread it. The immunity from the vaccine is much stronger than you get from being infected.

I've even heard experts saying that immunocompromised people should absolutely still get the vaccine. It does not contain any actual virus, so it is not dangerous to people with immune system problems, and it will help your weak immune system prepare as best it can.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2002 DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue FOR SALE CHEEP!
    2005 KLR685 - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I saw a study somewhere on the news... well two actually. One said wait three months between having it and getting shot.

The other said for people that had it antibodies were still present after 6 months in 88% of people studied.

The French decided this week that if you've had it then only one of the two shots is necessary as a "booster" shot.....

I get a lot of my news from Europe as well as the US.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    ...I get a lot of my news from Europe as well as the US.

A wise choice.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

Vermont has had very very low doses go to it... I will get it once I can. Might be till this coming fall at this rate.
    Jedz Moto
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer - Fazer 900 The Mule
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125 - Back road discoverer
    2009 Yamaha Vmax - The Ver'Monster
    2015 Kymco Agility 125
    1994 Acura Integra. The Cheap ole' Honda
    2017 Honda Fit - The Cheap New Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Vermont has had very very low doses go to it... I will get it once I can. Might be till this coming fall at this rate.
    The vaccine manufacturers are ramping up production exponentially under this administration's push to do so. Although distribution remains the Achilles' heel in this endeavor, Biden has said (and I believe will deliver on the promise) that everyone will be able to be vaccinated by the end of summer.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    Even if you've already had COVID-19, you should still get vaccinated when it's your turn to help ensure you don't get sick again and that you don't spread it. The immunity from the vaccine is much stronger than you get from being infected.

I've even heard experts saying that immunocompromised people should absolutely still get the vaccine. It does not contain any actual virus, so it is not dangerous to people with immune system problems, and it will help your weak immune system prepare as best it can.
    It's weird that the vaccine would provide better protection than the actual disease.

There are two types of vaccines, the most common are the two shot vaccines they don't use a live virus I believe that quiet safe for anyone with immunity issues. There have been some adverse reactions to the components in the vaccine but I haven't heard of anyone dying from it as yet. It's why anytime you get a vaccine of any type they ask you to wait for 15 minutes before you leave. The same applies to a vaccine made with a live virus.
    Last edited by wyly; 02-17-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I got my second Moderna shot on Feb 9. Mine came from the VA and I qualified by being over 75. Like others on this thread I originally planned to defer my turn until all of those I thought more vulnerable got stuck first. But I later thought better of bucking whatever system(s) the medical people were trying to implement. They are trying to get hundreds of millions of citizens vaccinated in the briefest window of time possible and keep track as it happens.

That means mass inoculation by defined batches of citizens. The task is made more difficult when individuals make exceptions to the plan by not getting inoculated with their batch or trying to jump ahead to someone else's batch. I decided it was not the time for me to be interjecting my judgement into the process. Rather for once in my life I needed to just shut up and go with the plan. My advice is to get the vaccine as soon as you can when your group comes up on the schedule. Overall that will assist the people who are working heroically to get this ongoing tragedy behind us.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650