Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: I got the COVID shot today

Default I got the COVID shot today

Has anyone else gotten any vaccine. I signed up and got on a waiting list through a county health department. I got an email two days in advance. I had to drive 60 miles to get it at the Texas Motor Speedway. The setup was crazy big, it was about 20 lanes wide, you drove through several tents, one you get a clipboard, the next you turn the clipboard, and show your email authorizing the vaccination. The next tent you got the shot. The clipboard has health questions. There was probably 1000 workers there, FEMA, local police & Fire departments, volunteer medical workers, National guard, military medics, US Customs service, A young woman from the US forest service did me. There were other agencys involved too. Very professional, and considering the masses of vehicles very efficent. The 2 1/2 hour line to get to the first tent was the worse part. After getting the vaccine you had to park they were staging people into lanes and holding them, there was a big flashing sign, "if you need help or are having trouble flash lights and honk horn" They were looking for allergic reactions, I took a twin pack of epipens with me as a precaution. After 15 minutes they started flagging everyone out to depart. They give you a small card identifying me as having received the first dose and telling you the projected return date. They called it a covid shot record. When I got home there was an email waiting acknowledging that I showed up and got the vaccine. The message also told me that I didn't need to take any further steps, I would be automatically notified when to return. I never had to leave the car either, I was totally impressed in the process. Waiting for the come and get it notification, and the wait in line were the only things that were frustrating.

I was initially wanting the Pfizer vaccine because it was rated to be a few percentage points more effective. But later I learned the Modenra was 80% effective after the first dose, and the Pfizer was only 50% effective after the first dose. I got the Pfizer today, so now it begins. The Pfizer modifies the DNA in a small percentage of your immune cells. These cells have a maximum lifespan of about 30 days, subsequent replacement immune system cells your body produces return to normal. The DNA modification to your immune cells tricks your immune system into thinking it sees covid19 virus. A protein on the mutated immune cell is created/modified to mimic the protein on covid 19 virus cells. Your body registers this protein as an invader and when your body sees it later it attacks it and kills it. Basically it creates an immune response to the covid 19 without ever having seen the virus, pretty slick. They are already using this type of therapy in cancer treatment with a different chemistry. In cancer treatment it trains your immune cells to attack cancer cells, identifying them by their specific external protein, pretty slick again. Maybe this vaccine technology will help cure the plague of the 21st century (cancer) Other than craving a big T bone steak, I don't seem have any other side effects.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

That is good information. I am interested in getting the vaccine,the info you posted here is encouraging.I'm 64 so I may need to wait until my PCP and Sutter Health here near Sacramento(Davis)sends me a message to tell me it's time to get vaccinated.I would much rather get the shots,than hide-out in my dwelling 'social distancing'..

pano is offline Forum Sage GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I received Moderna shot one Thursday and they had me wait 15 minutes to make sure there wasn’t an anaphylactic reaction. Medics were set up where I work. I had appointment and there was no line as they work with far less volume.

The site where I received the shot became sore several hours later is is still a little sore day 3. I received a CDC card as well with shot details.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E (red)
    1983 GS1229E project

I got the Pfizer vaccine...first shot: Dec 23rd. Second shot: Jan 13th.

I work in a hospital and the vaccine was not mandatory. There are still some personnel who are waiting for more testing.

Both times, I had soreness in my arm. The first shot had a longer affect of soreness; the second, not so much.

I have my Covid-19 card and put it in a safe place.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

I'm going to wait it out awhile yet before jumping on the bandwagon, I'm rather low on the "need" list anyhow and would prefer a single dose vaccine.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100 (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

Not ALL conspiracy theories are false. If it's on the radio, TV AND the internet (with pictures) then it's true. If it shows up in print, it always will be. www.birdsarentreal.com

Yep, had both doses of Pfizer vaccine.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

My wife had both doses of Moderna.

She felt pretty crappy for most of the day after the second shot, which is very normal. I'd say it's even a welcome sign that it's working. She was fine by that evening.

She usually feels crappy for a day after getting a regular flu shot, so it was expected. However, she didn't plan ahead and take the day off for some reason, so it caused a little scrambling around at work when she called in.

I'll be in line for the first available vaccine as soon as I can. Indiana did a pretty good job of getting ready and things are going pretty smoothly here. I really feel sorry for folks in some states that haven't taken things seriously and didn't plan ahead.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Well done metalfab. I've not gotten one yet, but I look forward to it. I'm super low on the list though, 40's, healthy, no pre-existing conditions, etc. Maybe in a few months? Here's hopin
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

" Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

"Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

When will we, wife & I, need a Covid shot? My wife & I both were told we had Covid, back in Oct. If I understand correctly, after we've had it we have the anti-bodies that you get from the shot. How long will our anti-bodies last? & when should we need to get the shot, or shots?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

You should be scheduling those shots as soon as possible, rphillips. I have two colleagues who suffered through COVID in December, recovered and who have both received both doses.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f