Thread: I got the COVID shot today

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Officer: "Why were you driving 115 mph?"

Citizen: "I had a "feeling" someone was chasing me."

Officer: "OK then, carry on."
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Second dose done as of this morning. The gloom and doom scenarios are being echoed by the neighbors but at least they tend to end with "If'n you needs sumpin' give us a holler"
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    Sorry, not valid.

"Feeling" they don't need it, is not only not valid, it is selfish, and not based in science.
    Yeah, and that 115 mph stop was made after the speeder did a hit and run ...
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Super Site Supporter

Seriously....10K+ humans are dying everyday, due to this virus.
    Everyone who refuses the vaccine is helping this happen.
    Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    Seriously....10K+ humans are dying everyday, due to this virus.
    Everyone who refuses the vaccine is helping this happen.
    Best thing to do is let folks know that getting the shot is no big deal from other ordinary people just like them. Others seem to want to make this thread into something else, for those I'll just offer this link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legitimation_crisis
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

Iíve had a friend die from COVID, he had pre-existing conditions that put him at risk, itís really scary when it hits close to home like that.
    For me personally, Iíve been sent home a couple times for quarantine because of being exposed to someone who got sick and ended up testing negative then everyone returned to work. Iíve actually been tested myself a couple times but the worst one was the end of February.
    One of my coworkers had worked all day and while he was on his way home, he began to feel sick so he went down and had a rapid test done, he tested positive and next thing I knew, I received a phone call saying I am quarantined because someone I was working with that day tested positive. Everyone including me had been wearing masks all day with exception of when we ate lunch but even at lunch, we still practiced social distancing.
    I waited the CDC prescribed isolation period and then on February 28th I went down and got tested, the morning of March 1st, I got the results back, I was negative, my employer gave me authorization to return to work a couple days later, I was happy but then later that evening of March 1st, I started feeling really bad, it hit me so fast and hard, it was crazy! It was the strangest feeling Iíve ever had and didnít know it was even possible to feel this way, from my shoulders up I was burning up and from my shoulders down I was freezing cold both at the same time. I called our HR to let them know what was going on and made an appointment to get tested again the next morning. The next morning I was tested and I also had them test me for the flu just in case. I got the results back for the flu test an hour later, negative for the flu. I got the results back for COVID the next morning, positive.
    I went through the different stages over the next few days and it really wasnít too bad until like day six. On this sixth day, early in the morning around 3:30am I woke up gasping for air, I tried to go back to sleep but the same thing kept happening, I could actually feel the lack of oxygen, itís a really horrible feeling. I have a pulse ox so I put it on my finger and could see it happening, my oxygen level would start off at 98% and be stable for about ten to fifteen seconds and then rapidly drop to 90% or lower. I was getting lots of air but not enough oxygen. It was like suffocating without having anything restricting your air and the scariest part was realizing that at that point I was along for the ride and had no control over what was happening.
    I knew my nose was congested so I took a Claritin D, Iím not sure but in my opinion, thatís what saved my life. At the same time, my wife got up and got dressed, she took me to the ER. I spent pretty much the whole day in the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital, things had calmed down quite a bit, my oxygen saturation levels were still bouncing but now between 98 and 94. They ran all kinds of tests on me and in the end they didnít find anything life threatening but they did find that I had what they call ďGround Glass OpacitiesĒ which apparently enables pneumonia and a few other problems but the good thing was that I didnít have a lot of it. They also found something not associated with the COVID, turns out that my gall bladder is full of stones, great, gives me something else to deal with.
    I was released from the hospital and returned home. After that, I still had lingering effects of the COVID but within a few days it all passed. The irony of this was that the day after my hospital visit, I received messages that I could receive my COVID vaccination but now I couldnít take it because I needed to be COVID free before receiving the shot.
    My doctor told me to wait about three months before I get my shot because it would give my body time to build its own immunity so now Iím on schedule to receive my first shot on May 28th, Iím chomping at the bit to get the shots, Iím the only one in my family and my extended family who has not received the vaccine and Iím the only one in my family and extended family who has tested positive for COVID.

Both my wife and daughter work in healthcare, my wife works with COVID patients every day, both my wife and daughter live in the same house as me and neither of them got sick as a result of me being positive.
    In my opinion, this is an example of how the vaccine helps and how easily those who are not vaccinated can catch this.
    I really donít care whether or not everyone else gets vaccinated but, for those that donít, keep your mask on or stay home. Even though everyone in my family has been vaccinated, they still wear masks when not at home which I also do and will continue to do so after I receive my vaccine, itís called respect and being responsible not only for yourself but also those around you, especially those you donít know.

To the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers, please stay away from me and my family, if you donít have any respect for yourselves or feel any responsibility towards yourself how can we expect you to have respect for anyone else? Eventually the day will come that COVID hits real close to home for you too and when that day comes, I hope you survive it and live to tell everyone else you know how bad things can get. There are lingering effects afterwards too that Iím still dealing with one of them being that itís difficult at times to concentrate on what Iím doing.

Anyway, didnít plan on making this post so long and didnít want to waste everyoneís time but did feel this was an opportunity to explain why I suddenly disappeared for a couple months.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Then why did you bring up the reasons people won't get the shot? lol
    You laughing at me Trevor? Surely you realize my posts are not advocating the antivaxxer position, I'm simply sharing what their reasoning is. And the reason I detailed that position is because Bob keeps saying there is no reason. Now he wants a "valid" reason, as he defines "valid." Whatever. I'm not engaging with this idiocy any longer. This thread has taken a turn straight left and should be in the Vortex now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    You laughing at me Trevor? Surely you realize my posts are not advocating the antivaxxer position, I'm simply sharing what their reasoning is. And the reason I detailed that position is because Bob keeps saying there is no reason. Now he wants a "valid" reason, as he defines "valid." Whatever. I'm not engaging with this idiocy any longer. This thread has taken a turn straight left and should be in the Vortex now.
    As pointed out... false information is not a reason. Grasp somewhere else.
    No signature

earlfor is online now Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Anything disagreeable apparently should send any thread to the Vortex. Got it.
    I support entropy for all.

Super Site Supporter

Now he wants a "valid" reason, as he defines "valid."
    No, not now, always. I never said, "Any made up reason," sorry. I said valid from the beginning.
    Bob T.