Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: I got the COVID shot today

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    The CNN information is correct. Republicans ARE by a wide majority, the antivaxxers. here are the numbers for you. https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-ins...oll_us_020321/
    As for level of stupidity, I have no method of measuring that quality.
    Same in every country regarding what we would call Conservatives and you call Republicans ......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Oh, they most definitely are conservatives, but that aligns with many indicators for refusal of the vaccine: Paranoia about government, anti-science conspiracy theory leanings, fundamentalist religious perspectives, etc.. These are not the folks who were able to solve the problems of the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Oh, they most definitely are conservatives, but that aligns with many indicators for refusal of the vaccine: Paranoia about government, fundamentalist religious perspectives, etc..
    The reasons you give are compelling but you forgot the ones I provided earlier. Here they are again since you must have missed them...

1) The mortality rate in the USA for those that get C-19 is 1.77%. This means that even if you get it you are unlikely to die.

2) Of the people who have died the overwhelming majority have pre-existing conditions.

3) 75% of the people that have died are 65 years old or older.

So, if you are younger and have no pre-existing conditions your risk level is quite low. That right there makes a very compelling argument for many people to skip the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Oh, they most definitely are conservatives, but that aligns with many indicators for refusal of the vaccine: Paranoia about government, anti-science conspiracy theory leanings, fundamentalist religious perspectives, etc.. These are not the folks who were able to solve the problems of the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
    I miss the old Conservative Party . They were just cheap ......
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

I think the frequent usage of the term "anti-vaxxer" sets some people off. Many people who have taken every vaccine offered to them in the past don't immediately become anti-vaxxers because they have concerns about an experimental shot that was rushed into emergency approval without the normal lengthy trials, nor actual clinical approval. Also some who might have initially accepted the new vaccine might also be turned off of taking it now by the looming threat of making it mandatory... people generally do not like to be told what to do. Then there are the various religious reasons for refusing it, and the folks who value their bodily autonomy, etc....

It's not a simple black and white issue as some believe... there's plenty of shades of grey here. What might be truth for you could be the opposite for someone else.

Anybody else remember a time where a conversation took place when people of differing views discussed their thoughts without fear of being labelled and/or cancelled? Remember when science was based on asking questions, and not accepted as religious dogma that must never be questioned? Something strange has happened to the world over the past decade or so...

Anyway, as stated by someone prior, this thread is about people getting their shot and discussing what, if any, side effects that they had from it. I doubt the o/p started this thread so vitriol could be sprayed around, and people called "stupid" by some Karen. We're all presumably adults here, why don't we try acting like it?
    1994 Suzuki RF600R
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2020 Suzuki Katana

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    I think the frequent usage of the term "anti-vaxxer" sets some people off. Many people who have taken every vaccine offered to them in the past don't immediately become anti-vaxxers because they have concerns about an experimental shot that was rushed into emergency approval without the normal lengthy trials, nor actual clinical approval. Also some who might have initially accepted the new vaccine might also be turned off of taking it now by the looming threat of making it mandatory... people generally do not like to be told what to do. Then there are the various religious reasons for refusing it, and the folks who value their bodily autonomy, etc....

It's not a simple black and white issue as some believe... there's plenty of shades of grey here. What might be truth for you could be the opposite for someone else.

Anybody else remember a time where a conversation took place when people of differing views discussed their thoughts without fear of being labelled and/or cancelled? Remember when science was based on asking questions, and not accepted as religious dogma that must never be questioned? Something strange has happened to the world over the past decade or so...

Anyway, as stated by someone prior, this thread is about people getting their shot and discussing what, if any, side effects that they had from it. I doubt the o/p started this thread so vitriol could be sprayed around, and people called "stupid" by some Karen. We're all presumably adults here, why don't we try acting like it?
    I've got a deal with Kanada's health care experts..... They don't tell me how to run a tugboat and I don't tell them whether getting vaccinated is a good idea .......
    1983 GS 750

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    The reasons you give are compelling but you forgot the ones I provided earlier. Here they are again since you must have missed them...

1) The mortality rate in the USA for those that get C-19 is 1.77%. This means that even if you get it you are unlikely to die.

2) Of the people who have died the overwhelming majority have pre-existing conditions.

3) 75% of the people that have died are 65 years old or older.

So, if you are younger and have no pre-existing conditions your risk level is quite low. That right there makes a very compelling argument for many people to skip the shot.
    If you're going to double post I'll my re post my response showing the fallacy of your stance I'll.

#1-Place a 100 M & Ms on the table before you you must eat one! All are contaminated with Covid19, some will do nothing to you, some way make you mildly ill, others make you very, very ill with life altering complications, two of them will kill you. Go ahead pick one.

Or make someone you love with preexisting conditions over the age of 65 eat one for you which would be the equivalent of not vaccinating. Without vaccination covid never goes away.

#2-20% of the population has preexisting conditions, they're defective and weak so apparently expendable.

#3-Mom and Dad and old people in general are expendable and of no consequence. Where do you draw the age line for who is expendable and who is not.

My 30ish kids don't agree which is why they've been isolating and masking as requested and are vaccinating asap, they care about others.

And I'll add this. No one on the planet is immune to this virus, if everyone were to become infected with this strain even using your own data that you casually dismiss as minor that would result in 140 million dead, a trivial number right. A figure we won't see because the vast majority of people understand how dangerous this virus is, they follow the proper mitigation procedures as best they can and most importantly vaccinate to protect one another.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    I've got a deal with Kanada's health care experts..... They don't tell me how to run a tugboat and I don't tell them whether getting vaccinated is a good idea .......
    While I totally understand your analogy, there's more to it than just listening to the experts.

If a person believes that taking a vaccine prevents them from gaining entry into their heaven, no amount of experts in the world would cause that person to lose their faith. I'm not religious but I can accept that some things are just bigger than they appear on the surface, and that people should be free to make choices that are right for them.
    1994 Suzuki RF600R
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2020 Suzuki Katana

Dave

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    If you're going to double post I'll my re post my response showing the fallacy of your stance I'll.

#1-Place a 100 M & Ms on the table before you you must eat one! All are contaminated with Covid19, some will do nothing to you, some way make you mildly ill, others make you very, very ill with life altering complications, two of them will kill you. Go ahead pick one.

Or make someone you love with preexisting conditions over the age of 65 eat one for you which would be the equivalent of not vaccinating. Without vaccination covid never goes away.

#2-20% of the population has preexisting conditions, they're defective and weak so apparently expendable.

#3-Mom and Dad and old people in general are expendable and of no consequence. Where do you draw the age line for who is expendable and who is not.

My 30ish kids don't agree which is why they've been isolating and masking as requested and are vaccinating asap, they care about others.

And I'll add this. No one on the planet is immune to this virus, if everyone were to become infected with this strain even using your own data that you casually dismiss as minor that would result in 140 million dead, a trivial number right. A figure we won't see because the vast majority of people understand how dangerous this virus is, they follow the proper mitigation procedures as best they can and most importantly vaccinate to protect one another.
    If people are worried get the shot. They are everywhere these days. There is no reason for "mom or day and old people" to die. Get them a shot and do away with the worry.

My post is about people of low risk. If they want to roll the dice I don't see a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    I had thought a tag team imported from the Vortex whose habit it is to single out and pile on an individual to not be Campfire civil.
    we're all adults it takes two to tango. If someone doesn't like the attention his comments bring why stick around inviting more? Don't like the debate then simply leave the debate it's very simple, no need to complain about people are picking on you.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF