Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 G Restoration

Hi guys

Finally got to the point where a restoration is happening (thanks to a base gasket replacement).

I have everything disconnected from the engine ......................... except the shaft. And I am stuck.

Please give me advice on how to remove the shaft from the engine (the back wheel has already been removed)

As far as I can figure it out, 1 of the 2 sides pictured below need to be loosened. The photo is of the area where the shaft goes into the engine. Please let me know which one. Seems pretty tight to get in there as well - any tips and tricks? Also, do I need to take the swing arm off?

Shaft Removal.jpg

Thanks in advance
    1982 GS1000G

Do you have a service manual? Did you look to see if there is one for your bike on BikeCliff’s Website?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The best way is to remove the bevel housing that drives the back wheel. Which leaves the drive shaft inside the swinging arm. Disconnect the other brake parts etc from the swing arm. Then slacken and remove both swing arm pivots (under the plastic covers. Then pull the swinging arm rearwards. Driveshaft stays on the engine. Its all obvious from there on!

Good luck
      1952 Velocette LE
      1960 Triumph Twenty One (My Parents bought new)
      1978 Honda CD175
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G (best seat on a motorcycle ever)
      1988 Yamaha FZR1000 Genesis (I bought new)
      1998 Ducati 748SPS

Comment

Thank you Richard, I did. But it does not say anything about sequence nor procedure when disassembling the shaft from the engine. I was hoping to avoid removing the swing arm.

I guess this is one of the downside of the shafites, but I will take it over a chain anyday
        1982 GS1000G

Comment

Thank you GS1000G-BEST-SEAT-EVER! Was hoping it would be easier.

I am emigrating to the UK at the end of 2021, will touch base when I am there (the GS is coming with of course)
          1982 GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent View Post
            .........I have everything disconnected from the engine ......................... except the shaft. And I am stuck.

Please give me advice on how to remove the shaft from the engine (the back wheel has already been removed)

As far as I can figure it out, 1 of the 2 sides pictured below need to be loosened. The photo is of the area where the shaft goes into the engine. Please let me know which one. Seems pretty tight to get in there as well - any tips and tricks? Also, do I need to take the swing arm off?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62418[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance
            I have thankfully not needed (yet!) to remove the engine, but you do not have to remove the swingarm, rear wheel, etc.

Your 1000G is essentially the same as the 850G for which there is a factory service manual here http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/

In your photo the 4 bolts at the rearmost arrow should be removed to free the shaft from the engine. Maybe there will be more space if you remove the rear clamp on the rubber boot and move the boot back.

Remove the engine out the right hand side of the frame.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just went to the garage to look at my bike, and looks like the rubber boot cannot be moved very far back, but hopefully enough to get the bolts loose.
            Last edited by 2BRacing; 02-14-2021, 11:46 AM.
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

You can remove one bolt at a time. it's fiddly, but easily done, a fraction of a turn at a time.
              Just make sure the combination spanner you use is good quality and has a good fit on the bolt head.
              Fitting it back together is just as fiddly.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

As I said the easiest way without fiddling or frustration is to remove the bevel and swing arm for easy all round access! With the added bonus that you can grease the splines where it enters the bevel and also check, grease and adjust the taper roller swing arm bearings before reassembly.
                1952 Velocette LE
                1960 Triumph Twenty One (My Parents bought new)
                1978 Honda CD175
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G (best seat on a motorcycle ever)
                1988 Yamaha FZR1000 Genesis (I bought new)
                1998 Ducati 748SPS

Comment

Working...
                X