GSXR exhaust swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR exhaust swap?

Hoping someone might know: would a 2007 GSXR 1000 exhaust system swap onto a 1980 GS1000gl? Fabbing new mounts isn’t an issue, just curious if the headers themselves would space out right. I was enjoying my non-wrenching hobby of scrolling through posts looking at parts and project bikes and came across a nice looking exhaust from a GSXR and it got me to wondering.
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Not a chance.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Not a chance.
      That’s what I figured. Thanks!
      1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

As the GS you have, has the timing chain in the middle, and the GSXR has it on the end of the cam, exhaust spacing will be different. If you can put your hands on an earlier oil cooled exhaust, the exhaust port spacing will be very close or exact.
        Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
        Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
          As the GS you have, has the timing chain in the middle, and the GSXR has it on the end of the cam, exhaust spacing will be different. If you can put your hands on an earlier oil cooled exhaust, the exhaust port spacing will be very close or exact.
          Correct. I've seen it done the other way round. Back in the day, Suzuki NZ put a genuine Yosh GS1000 race pipe on an early GSXR1100. Fitted quite well too.

Comment

I have a 1990 GSXR 1100 Yosh Duplex header a friend convinced me to buy.

The spigots seem to line up, but the angle relative to where the exhaust manifold gaskets reside, seemed like an issue.

Probably due to the greater angle of the Gixxer engine

If I recall, it barely cleared the oil pan, but looked possible.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The GSXR 1000 engine is narrower than the GS due to the GSXR being liquid cooled (no need for space around the cylinders to allow for airflow, just a water jacket). The GSXR exhaust spacing is therefore different, and the exhaust ports are at a different size and angle than on the GS.

I did have an early GSXR 1100 header on my GS1000 at one point (with some pretty significant modifications) but it performs much better with the Hindle GS1000 4-2-1 exhaust on it now.
              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
              X