Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please, identify this frame number GL51C

Hi all,
    I purchased a GS450 a year or so ago with the intent to rebuild/customise it.
    Finally I am starting to look into what I want to do with it and I have hit a wall.
    The only identifying marks are the Australian compliance plate, frame and engine numbers.
    However I am at a loss as to which model it actually is.
    The compliance states it was complied in August 1983 and the frame (and compliance number) are
    GL51C xxxxxx. The engine is an L501
    Can anyone help me identify which model this actually is as I have been searching and reading the internet for a few nights now with no definitive answer.

Thanks

How about a picture, that would help a bunch.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Here is the Australian Compliance plate

GS450 plate.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtheuser View Post
        Here is the Australian Compliance plate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62435[/ATTACH]

I believe a picture of the motorcycle was what was wanted. heh eh There were only 4 models of GS 450. The E, L, T, and the A (two speed automatic) A pic of the bike would settle which it is.
        Last edited by earlfor; 02-17-2021, 09:31 PM.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sorry for no photo, i had one on my phone but couldn't upload it. Had to wait until tonight when i could get on the computer. Anyway here is a photo of the old girl, i hope someone can give me an answer. Also if someone knows why its marked GL51C as i can find no reference to that combination.
          IMG_2777.jpg

Comment

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

VIN numbers follow the required marking scheme of the destination country. I'm not familiar with the requirements in Australia but I do know the bike is commonly denoted a GS450S. This page may provide some info...

EDIT: don't take the suzukicycles info as gospel because they make lots of mistakes. For example, your bike has 2V per cylinder, not 4.
              Last edited by Nessism; 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It's a GS450E or an "S" that's lost the fairing. They started making this model in 1982 and quit when the GS500 twin replaced it in 1989.

The VIN will tell exactly what year. The paint design may help too, if you are clever looking close at partnumber and paintcodes and pictures on google, though you can't trust the pictures all that much.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, In Australia we still require the same VIN stuff as the rest of the world however this has the Australian Compliance (approved to ride in Australia ) and a frame number of GL51C-101xxx. 3 digits short of a vin number. There is no vin plate anywhere on the bike that I can find.

Comment

There is no vin plate anywhere on the bike that I can find.
                    Maybe it's under your compliance plate...
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, In Australia we still require the same VIN stuff as the rest of the world however this has the Australian Compliance (approved to ride in Australia ) and a frame number of GL51C-101xxx. 3 digits short of a vin number. There is no vin plate anywhere on the bike that I can find.
                      That is the VIN. The missing prefix would be JS-1 which means Japanese motorcycle. G means multiple cylinder,K 399cc to..I can't remember, 5 means 4 stroke blah blah blah.
                      You want to go online and figure it out. Suzuki.org link above has some vin info somewhere

Comment

Working...
                      X