Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the technical name for the triple tree part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the technical name for the triple tree part?

I have an '82 GS650G and I'm wondering what the technical name for the triple tree/steering/suspension point is.

I ask because I'm considering making a cafe racer, and I'm thinking that point on the CB750 is a little lower and would look better.

Does anyone else think the GS sits a bit higher at that point? Would clip ons or lowering the headlight help to lower it?

Thank you!

Originally posted by streetgs View Post
    I have an '82 GS650G and I'm wondering what the technical name for the triple tree/steering/suspension point is.
    Two questions:

1. Do you have a manual for your bike?

2. In order to better communicate to the group I suggest taking a photo of the part and posting it so we can see what your referring to.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 02-20-2021, 12:02 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Look it up.

Shop online for OEM Steering Stem (Model Z) parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS650G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

...I'm wondering what the technical name for the triple tree/steering/suspension point is...
        Don't understand the question, what "point" are you referring to? The "triple trees" are more properly called triple clamps, but in parts diagrams you'll see various terms..
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

All these 650s seem to be getting cafed, I'm gonna be one of the few with a slightly modified one lol.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Triple tree is your common name, 2 fork tubes and the steering stem. Suzuki calls the Stem part the steering stem set and the top a, stem head, steering.

Partzilla is a handy online parts manual to use. If you click on the part # it will cross reference other years and models that part is used on.
            82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
            Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
            Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
            Albums

Comment

Here in the UK the two upper clamping parts of the steering head are the top and bottom yokes.
              The term triple clamp ( mostly used in the US ) refers all three points at which the forks are held.
              At the wheel spindle, Bottom yoke and top yoke.
              Referring to just the two top components of the assembly as triple clamps is actually incorrect.
              Most factory manuals will refer to them as fork clamps , holders , head set , stem set or yokes..
              Last edited by zed1015; 02-20-2021, 09:44 AM.
              Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
              VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
                Here in the UK the two upper clamping parts of the steering head are the top and bottom yokes.
                Ah, so that's what ya'll are talkin bout when you say yokes. I'd been wondering
                Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Does your bike have a 19" front wheel? If so, maybe put an 18 " on. I did that with a Yamaha Seca Turbo. Looked way better and actually handled better.

Mad
                  83 GS750E
                  2006 ZX14
                  2004 KTM 450 EXC
                  2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Sorry for the delay everyone, I'm just seeing this now! I didn't get any notification emails that anyone responded!

So I was referring to what seems to be called the top stem or that clamp at the very top that holds the handlebars and is the top most clamp for the two shocks and the pivot point of the frame.

On eBay they're just called a triple tree, but that seems non-technical :/

Thanks though for all the input!

Comment

Sorry for the delay everyone, I'm just seeing this now! I didn't get any notification emails that anyone responded!
                      The default was and apparently still is no notifications for responses. You can change that in your General Settings (under Forum Actions) at the top of the page. You might have to subscribe to a thread to get the notifications. I think it might automatically subscribe you as the OP. Note that notifications can be sent to your email or in the User Control Panel only.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                      X