Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seeking opinion - paint engine black or strip of bad spray paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeking opinion - paint engine black or strip of bad spray paint job?

Working on an '81 GS550T where a PO spray painted numerous things (tank, fenders, cyl head)

I've already stripped the tank and fenders and will refinsih them to matte black fenders, clear metal tank, both with blue center stripe.

The cyl head had a poor spray paint job so i can either strip it back to the original grey or repaint and be more careful. Any opinions?

If stripping, any guidance on the best way to strip cyl fins? I've used aircraft stripper on other items, but not sure how it will work on fins.

Pic for reference
    PXL_20210220_230956572.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

and here's the tank and fender. other parts, like the passenger peg/exhaust mount are also matte black. There is still some chrome on the bike
    PXL_20210215_214225934.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

One look I've always liked is black cases, bead blasted heads left raw (Looks white) and a black valve cover.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

With the tank looking like that (looks awesome) I would strip the spraypaint and have the raw metal look. Black is cool, for bikes that look more plasticky, but myn personal opinion is the raw metal look will match that tank indefinitely
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Hey that tank looks rusty inside from that picture! Pick up some KBS rustblast and get that thing cleaned, dont need the protective coating and that's something I wish i didnt do to my tank.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            Hey that tank looks rusty inside from that picture! Pick up some KBS rustblast and get that thing cleaned, dont need the protective coating and that's something I wish i didnt do to my tank.
            Hah, take a look at the inside of my other current project! Makes this one look pristine. I usually use Evaporust and will get to that point with this tank soon.
            PXL_20210221_114101288.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
              One look I've always liked is black cases, bead blasted heads left raw (Looks white) and a black valve cover.
              Hadn't thought about the valve cover, but black paint could be interesting. The current finish has taken some beating, so paint could be good.

For engine cases I usually go with bare metal cleaned to a low luster rather than black. The engine is still in the frame, so painting the cases would require me to take it out. Not a huge deal if the cyl heads are off, but i wasn't planning on it.

PXL_20210221_115708282.jpg
              Last edited by sacruickshank; 02-21-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Another idea for that valve cover could be to rough it up with a Scotch Brite or similar to take it down to bare metal and match the bare metal on the tank. I'd often considered "Graining" the metal and hitting it with some black paint then wiping it leave the scratches black on the bottom and bright on top. Here's another idea, using chemicals to create a colored patina on the metal. Grey, black and dark brown are easy to do on aluminum.

Comment

after spending more time with the cyl head today, my current thought is to paint the main section of the engine, the cylinders, and cylinder head black. Unless vapor blasting becomes an option I don't see getting all the current black off the fins, so i'll just cover it with a (hopefully) better paint job.

The side cases and valve cover will go back to bare metal or painted grey. that seems to provide a decent black/silver balance. If it's too dark i'll fab some raw metal side panels, too light i'll paint them black as well.

thx for the ideas.

Comment

When I got my Z1, my friend painted his CB750 engine black. It didn't look nearly as good as my Kaw. One difference? The edges of the 903's cooling fins were bare metal. It made for a striking contrast with the black.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I like the polished look on the fins too!
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        I like the polished look on the fins too!
                        I'll test that in a small area. I also like the look, but need to see if the finish comes out nicely with my DIY job.

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                          I'll test that in a small area. I also like the look, but need to see if the finish comes out nicely with my DIY job.
                          I'd bet you could scrub the edges of the fins with steel wool, sandpaper etc. after painting to reveal the factory silver underneath. If you didn't like it or it turned out bad you could always hit it with more paint to cover it back up.

Comment

Working...
                          X