Mac 4-1 Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac 4-1 Opinions

I’ve been looking at Mac 4-1 exhaust systems for my GS1000gl, specifically the ceramic coated system. I’ve been reading reviews online and they seemed a bit mixed. I could get anything to pull up in the search, so apologies if this has been answered a thousand times, but does anyone have opinions on Mac 4-1 on a GS? Found a few good deals, but if they’re not worth it, I’ll keep saving and up for a different set. Thanks all.
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Originally posted by DevilsAdvoduck View Post
    I’ve been looking at Mac 4-1 exhaust systems for my GS1000gl, specifically the ceramic coated system. I’ve been reading reviews online and they seemed a bit mixed. I could get anything to pull up in the search, so apologies if this has been answered a thousand times, but does anyone have opinions on Mac 4-1 on a GS? Found a few good deals, but if they’re not worth it, I’ll keep saving and up for a different set. Thanks all.
    I have the reverse cone exhaust on my 650, I love the sound but the finish isnt great but thats a big part of my fault. People tend to go for Vance & Hines but I had no other choice, but also I love my Choice. My bike doesnt look that great so the exhaust being kinda rough matches the whole look. As for the longevity I have no clue it's only been on maybe a year.

I dont know about the megaphone one.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Also heard the baffles are crap but mine came with their competition baffle with a better design so I'm happy. Might have to mess with the jets a bit if yours has it too I know I do.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
        Also heard the baffles are crap but mine came with their competition baffle with a better design so I'm happy. Might have to mess with the jets a bit if yours has it too I know I do.
        Thanks for the feedback. The reverse cone was what I was looking at actually. I’m switching out for pods as well. Original box was trashed by PO so just biting the bullet on a rejetting experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilsAdvoduck View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. The reverse cone was what I was looking at actually. I’m switching out for pods as well. Original box was trashed by PO so just biting the bullet on a rejetting experience.

My airbox has a hole in it because the previous guy somehow couldn't manage to fit the master cylinder and airbox in the correct spot, go figure lol. Plenty of tape was used but not covering any of the air passages that are used.

If the pods dont work out theres always ebay! keep the airbox and its components!

It's a great sounding exhaust in my opinion but you will get a drone, or maybe not since you naturally ride at a lower rpm than me, but holy crap when I take my bike through the powerband theres no better sound!

Heres how mine sounds revving, idle is great too. https://youtu.be/pbwBOQ-BEis
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

I like the MAC 4 into 1 Header system. I bought MAC for both my Honda’s and the GS1000.
            I like the megaphone muffler shape on my CB-F street bike.
            The canister muffler version on my CB-F Track Bike, I cut off three inches to make it shorter.
            The GS1000 megaphone I bought looks a bit like a Kerker muffler. I still have not mounted it on.

For all three MAC exhausts on my bikes, I removed and threw away the air-chamber baffles.. JUNK! I made my own 2-1/4” straight through baffle. See my post in the”Project/Rebuild” section.
            I believe that The Reverse Cone version, that you are looking to purchase, does have a Straight-Through, perforated core baffle, which is good.
            Though reading through some of the ads, it states that the baffle cannot be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by melchiro View Post
              I like the MAC 4 into 1 Header system. I bought MAC for both my Honda’s and the GS1000.
              I like the megaphone muffler shape on my CB-F street bike.
              The canister muffler version on my CB-F Track Bike, I cut off three inches to make it shorter.
              The GS1000 megaphone I bought looks a bit like a Kerker muffler. I still have not mounted it on.

For all three MAC exhausts on my bikes, I removed and threw away the air-chamber baffles.. JUNK! I made my own 2-1/4” straight through baffle. See my post in the”Project/Rebuild” section.
              I believe that The Reverse Cone version, that you are looking to purchase, does have a Straight-Through, perforated core baffle, which is good.
              Though reading through some of the ads, it states that the baffle cannot be removed.
              Yeah it cant be removed, but the baffle is good, looks awesome too looking at it from the exhaust tip. All i can say is the flange mounts are eh, but the exhaust does seal properly. The reverse cone system is a one piece header system and the muffler is separate.

Boy do I wish i could have a kerker exhaust but they obviously dont make them for my bike, and they're about $800.... maybe when i build a race bike.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Thanks all! I knew it wasn’t too if the line, but feels better knowing other people have had success even if some mod is required.

Comment

Working...
                X