Ron Ayers Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron Ayers Motorcycles

I live in Richmond BC and prior to Covid I had the luxury of ordering parts from any US vender and having them ship it to a business in Point Roberts Washington. It is a business that receives mail and freight and caters to Canadians. We drive across the border, pick up our parcel and drive back usually with out paying any extra duties and taxes. Oh yah and fill up on gas. It is about a $1 gal cheaper in the USA.

Then Covid changed it all when the border closed. I began looking for parts for my GS1100E. Some businesses stopped shipping internationally, and some stopped answering the phone and others did not answer emails.
    I tried Ron Ayers in Greenville NC. They were still shipping internationally and they were answering the phone! I was drawn to this dealer because their online prices were below MSRP and lower than other dealers. I gave them my $270 order of which I am sure most of which they had to source from Suzuki. The order went it on Jan 20 and was shipped Jan 27 with all items ordered. The charge for USPS International from them was $75. I decided to have it shipped to my Point Roberts location because it went free freight as it stayed in the USA. It was then reshipped from Point Roberts to me for about $37. A $38 saving.

I thought that this was very good service in todays business environment.
    Do not ride faster than your angel can fly
    2016 K1600GL BMW
    1983 Honda CB1000c
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E recent purchase

Great to hear. Been dealing with some of the same things.
    Unfortunately the Mail Center i had been using in Niagara Falls NY closed. 75% of its business was Canadian.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Ourgang View Post
      I live in Richmond BC and prior to Covid I had the luxury of ordering parts from any US vender and having them ship it to a business in Point Roberts Washington. It is a business that receives mail and freight and caters to Canadians. We drive across the border, pick up our parcel and drive back usually with out paying any extra duties and taxes. Oh yah and fill up on gas. It is about a $1 gal cheaper in the USA.

Then Covid changed it all when the border closed. I began looking for parts for my GS1100E. Some businesses stopped shipping internationally, and some stopped answering the phone and others did not answer emails.
      I tried Ron Ayers in Greenville NC. They were still shipping internationally and they were answering the phone! I was drawn to this dealer because their online prices were below MSRP and lower than other dealers. I gave them my $270 order of which I am sure most of which they had to source from Suzuki. The order went it on Jan 20 and was shipped Jan 27 with all items ordered. The charge for USPS International from them was $75. I decided to have it shipped to my Point Roberts location because it went free freight as it stayed in the USA. It was then reshipped from Point Roberts to me for about $37. A $38 saving.

I thought that this was very good service in todays business environment.
      I use these guys... https://www.seawings.ca/

Lets me take advantage of companies in the USA that offer free shipping in the USA...Awesome service.
      No signature

Comment

The business I use in Point Roberts is on reduced hours however they offer a reshipping service. They are trying to stay in business and got creative. Maybe there is still some in Niagara doing the same. Cheers
        2016 K1600GL BMW
        1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          I use these guys... https://www.seawings.ca/

Lets me take advantage of companies in the USA that offer free shipping in the USA...Awesome service.
          Thanks for the tip on Seawings. I will check out there service from Victoria to Vancouver.
          2016 K1600GL BMW
          1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

Great info,thanks

Comment

I'm a US rider who wishes shipping used motorcycle parts into Canada wasn't such an outrageously expensive nightmare.

I've shipped parts to Canadians using mailing addresses in the US many times (I think some re-ship, and some just hold the package for pickup), but I've never managed to surmount the barriers and mail a package to someone in Canada. I've received packages from Canada a few times, so going the other way might be easier, or solvable for a business.

I've mailed packages to Japan, South Africa, Taiwan, and a few other countries with little trouble and somewhat reasonable cost. But for some reason the USPS and Canada Post are bitter enemies, and all the other services make things even worse.

And of course, COVID-19 has made the whole situation even more ridiculous. Any solutions for private party shippers would be welcome.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                I'm a US rider who wishes shipping used motorcycle parts into Canada wasn't such an outrageously expensive nightmare.

I've shipped parts to Canadians using mailing addresses in the US many times (I think some re-ship, and some just hold the package for pickup), but I've never managed to surmount the barriers and mail a package to someone in Canada. I've received packages from Canada a few times, so going the other way might be easier, or solvable for a business.

I've mailed packages to Japan, South Africa, Taiwan, and a few other countries with little trouble and somewhat reasonable cost. But for some reason the USPS and Canada Post are bitter enemies, and all the other services make things even worse.

And of course, COVID-19 has made the whole situation even more ridiculous. Any solutions for private party shippers would be welcome.
                We pay more in Canada for mail service, gasoline and mobile phone service. You are not far off in that some services can not reach a cross boarder agreement. We are told that our land size is very large and our population is small in proportion so it costs more to serve the population. Yeah right!! Our mobile phone carriers have a closed market and will not allow international completion in. Cross boarder shipping for individuals is expensive unless you are close the the boarder and have a drop ship location. I feel the pain frequently because I source the majority of my motorcycle parts from the USA.
                2016 K1600GL BMW
                1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

Trevor, what parts are you looking for for your 1100E? I've depleted my stock a bit over the last year but just picked up a complete 82 yesterday.Rich

Comment

Hi Rich, I would be interested in some side covers if they have most of their original tabs in place. What color is the bike?
                    2016 K1600GL BMW
                    1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                      Trevor, what parts are you looking for for your 1100E? I've depleted my stock a bit over the last year but just picked up a complete 82 yesterday.Rich
                      It's Ourgang looking, I no longer have an 1100

Thanks
                      No signature

Comment

I can also vouch for Ron Ayers. Couple weeks back I bought a complete set of rockers from them on Friday, and they shipped on Monday. Pretty impressive in todays day and age.
                        Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                        Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                          If you're breaking it, I'd be interested in the front mudguard, with the internal brace along with it.
                          Just to be sure, it's this one I want...
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            If you're breaking it, I'd be interested in the front mudguard, with the internal brace along with it.
                            Just to be sure, it's this one I want...
                            https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...1100e%2082.htm
                            Mudguard? On an 11E?
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Mudguard? On an 11E?
                              It's what we people who speak proper English call the fender.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X