towing a trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

towing a trailer

I'm looking at a tent trailer to tow cross country and back that weighs 800 and will tow with my 86 Cavalcade. Too heavy? IDK. Never done it. Any rule of thumb for touring bikes towing?

Paging Steve. Where are you Steve?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
      I'm looking at a tent trailer to tow cross country and back that weighs 800 and will tow with my 86 Cavalcade. Too heavy? IDK. Never done it. Any rule of thumb for touring bikes towing?
      Are you sure you got the weight right on that? 800lbs looks to be about double anything I've looked into! For what it's worth, the Goldwing guys say 300lbs max behind my 1100.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yep, manufactures weight is 730 plus my gear and a battery.I'm not getting a new one cause they are too much money and I have a 38 ft MH for that kind of duty. But that would put the gross weight at ~ 1600.eek Really want a small one that is less than 300# but they want a fortune for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Paging Steve. Where are you Steve?
          Steve, reporting for duty, Sir!

Red, you have two options in my opinion.
          1. Look for a (MUCH) lighter trailer.
          2. Find a different tow vehicle.

Sorry, but there is no practical or safe way to tow a trailer that heavy with a bike. (Not sure I would even consider that with a trike. ) I went a bit overboard when I loaded up a trailer to about 475 pounds (behind a fully-dressed KZ1300) and let's just say that it was NOTICEABLE. It was properly-balanced and all that, but the trip was interesting. Went from Dayton, oHIo to the Lost Angeles area, so we had the "pleasure" of doing this for several days.

Just out of curiosity, can you provide other dimensions (width and length) and maybe even the manufacturer and model of the trailer?

You imply that your budget is a bit limited. How much are you willing to spend?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I towed a Harbor Freight 4x8' folding trailer weighing 265lbs. unloaded and then put 300lbs. on it and towed it with a 1982' GS450T mostly on the Interstate I80 at 60mph keeping the 450 in 3 & 4th gear with the rpm's between 5500-6K the whole way.This was my first time towing a trailer and I wasn't scared:I just was determined to get the 450 and the 125 on the trailer I had just purchased from a CL seller in St. Clair Shores,Mi. to my residence in Davis,CA. and I didn't have the $ to do it any other way.I thank God for member 'Rusty Bronco' who attached a GL1000 custom trailer hitch to my 450,he welded it up then helped me check my valve clearances. ! I drove one-way West from MI. to Davis,CA. and stayed mostly on I80;once I was rolling,I had momentum,no problem:starting and stopping the rig was a challenge,but manageable.I learned 'trailer' on that journey ! Many members here thought I was crazy including the CL seller Dan And 'Rusty Bronco':well I hope by now they realize that,on that particular journey "Necessity was the Mother of Invention" Lol.
            Last edited by grcamna2; 02-22-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

absolutely YIKES!,grcamna...in a world of behemoth pickups (and so many empty), " Pickup?I don' need no dam pickup!" There must have been a lot of smart phone pictures taken!

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                I towed a ...4x8' folding trailer weighing 265lbs. unloaded and then put 300lbs. on it and towed it with a GS450...
                Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                absolutely YIKES!
                Double YIKES!!

I'm an old fashioned guy - all my motorcycles have had only two wheels.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  absolutely YIKES!,grcamna...in a world of behemoth pickups (and so many empty), " Pickup?I don' need no dam pickup!" There must have been a lot of smart phone pictures taken!
                  This was in July 2018',it was one-time adventure and it worked-out ok, Lol. I had my eyes and ears tuned-in to the rolling rig and didn't notice the others passing me.. I imagine they were curious.I was thinking of sticking a sign on either side of the little 1982' Honda CB125S with my information and my asking price.I bought the little 125 for small $ and sold it about 6 months after I got it here to CA.
                  Last edited by grcamna2; 02-23-2021, 02:04 AM.

Comment

The trailer hitch is welded to the axle, or the frame?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It may be crazy to start out like that but it's sheer OUTSTANDING! to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        The trailer hitch is welded to the axle, or the frame?

The trailer hitch was bolted to the shock towers and the furthest-back frame holes which made it 4-point frame mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                          The trailer hitch was bolted to the shock towers and the furthest-back frame holes which made it 4-point frame mounted.
                          How much can the bike lean?

Comment

I have owned two cargo trailers and towed them with a gl1500 Goldwing. Both trailers had an integral swivel hitch built into the tongue. So helped with lean angle and handling. There was a cooler for grub on the tongue as well. Hauled lots of camping gear and a couple of trips through the mountains. Towed very well and hardly noticed it on the back.
                            Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
                            1978 GL1000-naked
                            1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
                            1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Comment

I have never had a commercial "swivel hitch" on any of my trailers. To answer your question, I could put the bike on the side stand (so it's leaning a bit to the left), then lift the left-side trailer wheel far enough for the trailer body to touch the ground on the right. WAY more than enough. By the time the hitch would start to restrict any leaning, your bike would already be low-siding.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X