Cam Degreeing or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    Some degree wheels have their primary markings in a full 360 degree circle, some in two 180 degree halves, and some count up and back down every 90 degrees. If the blurry, yellowed, stained, brittle, seventh-generation photocopied instructions from the early '80s you are working from used one system and the degree wheel you happen to have on hand uses another, you will need to be comfortable "translating", or at least make sure you're consistently using the correct set of markings.
    Is there a degree wheel type you suggest for easier reading?

It's also one of those times it's important to understand "why" you're doing something rather than just following the numbers in the instructions. No valves or camshafts were harmed that day, only our foreheads from the resounding double smack when the light finally dawned.
    Great post BW. I'm finally starting to understand the why...I use the word "starting" loosely...at this point it's the terminology that's got me scratching my head. I'm having to learn a new language of sorts, all this talk of degree and timing. I'll get it, but I'm just not quite there yet.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
      Is there a degree wheel type you suggest for easier reading?
      No idea... they all will work just fine; you just have to understand what you're doing. Make sure the center hole size matches the bolt you're using, I guess (8mm, IIRC)? I'd likely lean toward a simpler one; some have all sorts of added markings on them. It's also important to make sure you're viewing the marks from a consistent, correct angle. If the bike is on the floor, you're going to have to get on the floor too.

In our case, the photos in the instructions were just vague blurs; 1980s photocopier technology was pretty primitive. So we couldn't tell what they were using and had to depend on the written instructions. Some numbers were also too blurry to read, so there was some detective work and deduction to perform.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just buy a Motion pro degree wheel or an APE one they are all the same thing.
        Good quality etched aluminium, clear markings and cheap.
        I've used the exact same one for 20 years or more.
        Motion Pro 08-0092 Motion Pro Degree Wheel | eBay
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
          Just buy a Motion pro degree wheel or an APE one they are all the same thing.
          Good quality etched aluminium, clear markings and cheap.
          I've used the exact same one for 20 years or more.
          Motion Pro 08-0092 Motion Pro Degree Wheel | eBay
          Perfect. Thanks zed. Lets just go part by part here, lol

What do you guys think of this Ape TDC indicator?
          APE Top Dead Center Indicator. Used to check top dead center with a degree wheel to set cam and ignition timing. 10mm, 12mm, 14mm available.
          Ryan

Comment

Yes! just make sure you buy one with the correct size thread or as already suggested you can make your own from a stripped out spark plug.
            If you do opt to make one just be sure the stopper is slim enough to miss the valves as they open and close.
            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
              Yes! just make sure you buy one with the correct size thread or as already suggested you can make your own from a stripped out spark plug.
              If you do opt to make one just be sure the stopper is slim enough to miss the valves as they open and close.
              I'd prefer to buy one. I think the 10mm version they sell will work but I'll double check.
              Ryan

Comment

I'd prefer to buy one. I think the 10mm version they sell will work but I'll double check.
                What bike? You'll need a stop with a 14mm thread for an 850G and most or all 8 valve GS models.

Most or all 16 valve GS models (like the 1150, 1100E, etc.) would need 12mm.

Not sure whether those are absolutes, so look up your spark plug specs.

As far as a degree wheel, the Motion Pro is simple and is marked in 90 degree quadrants. The Summit Racing version goes up to 180 and back down again. There's a comp cams version that has two different scales. Some of the ones intended for cars are awkwardly large. I'd go Motion Pro, personally. Pay attention to the diameter of the center hole, too -- many of the car versions have a larger hole and don't come with bushings to make sure they'll work on a bike.

If you're measuring lift, a dial indicator and base from Harbor Freight will be perfectly fine. Magnetic bases can be pretty awkward and move around since all you have nearby are round frame rails, so a clamping base with a piece of leather to protect the frame might be better. Get some good lighting, set up a pointer with a piece of wire, and develop your strategy for using a consistent point of view to read the runes...

If you do a Google Image Search for "degree wheel" you'll get an idea of the variants.
                Last edited by bwringer; 03-05-2021, 02:12 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

How does one go about finding the settings for what they want?
                  If you have aftermarket cams then ask the manufacturer first. If you are using stock cams, then GregT's numbers are a good place to start. I went to 106I/108E on my 1100E and it was a major improvement over the stock lobe centers. It gives up nothing down low, comes into the power smoother and earlier and revs hard all the way to redline. It is so much stronger than it was at the stock numbers that I started getting clutch slip around 7000rpm in the higher gears where I never had a problem before the change.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

What bike? You'll need a stop with a 14mm thread for an 850G and most or all 8 valve GS models.
                    Yeah it's an 850. I honestly didn't know, was just guessing. Thanks for the info BW.
                    Ryan

Comment

If you're measuring lift, a dial indicator and base from Harbor Freight will be perfectly fine. Magnetic bases can be pretty awkward and move around since all you have nearby are round frame rails, so a clamping base with a piece of leather to protect the frame might be better. Get some good lighting, set up a pointer with a piece of wire, and develop your strategy for using a consistent point of view to read the runes.
                      Are these the parts we're talkin about?

Dial indicator
                      Amazing deals on this 1In Travel Machinists Dial Indicator at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Indicator with mount and clamp. Looks to be the same dial indicator as above but I can't tell for sure.
                      Amazing deals on this Clamping Dial Indicator at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
                      Last edited by RustyTank; 03-06-2021, 06:18 PM.
                      Ryan

Comment

One could assume that differences in cam timing is one of the reasons 2 of the same model bikes are faster or slower than each other.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                          One could assume that differences in cam timing is one of the reasons 2 of the same model bikes are faster or slower than each other.
                          Production tolerances can affect the performance slightly between machines coming off the production line but it would hardly be noticeable.
                          If one slipped through quality control with noticeably less power we'd call that a Friday afternoon or Monday morning job ..
                          After that wear and mileage etc would be more of a factor.
                          If you get a stock motor though and degree the cams in to spec it can sharpen the performance up a bit depending on can chain wear etc..
                          Last edited by zed1015; 03-21-2021, 12:55 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                            I could agree. Back in the early 80's at one time we uncrated and assembled as many as seven 1100's in a day and there was a few that were faster and slower after break-in.A few customers complained about the issue..But cam timing if food for thought there..Along with clearances,tolerances,etc.
                            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

There is a lot of good info on this thread. Here is my take on the subject. Cam timing is a lot like jetting. If it is close it works, but.... Having it down cold and near perfect makes a big difference in the way an engine runs. You can dial in top end power, or midrange power with the same setup. Advancing favors bottom end power, retard favors top end power. Changing cam timing from stock alters valve to piston clearance keep an eye on that. Any wear in the, chain, cams, sprockets, or chain guides can alter timing. Then add machining imperfections to the mix. It is only hard until you do it, when you learn how to do it opens a window, and you become a more professional better engine builder without a doubt. Learn how from tech support at cam manufacturers support websites.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Let me clear something up here...What Web means by "drop in" cams is they will work with stock valve springs and pistons. Non drop ins will require valve pocket machining or aftermarket pistons, and high performance springs.

Having said that, all cams should be agreed in to get your money's worth, Back in the day, there was a shop that discovered that stock GS1150 cam timing was all over the place. He would provide a "tune" for them which amounted to degreeing the stock cams in.
                                Speed Merchant
                                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                                X