Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cam Degreeing or not

Quote Originally Posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
    New..never been installed.. And thanks to all for the insight, I have a degree wheel,dial indicator,base and stand,piston stops,etc.I,m satisfied it's worth the time and money..I was just curious about others opinions..And if anyone ever experienced what happened just bolting them to stock sprockets,I'll slot the stockers a little or order a set of aftermarket sprockets...should make tuning a lot easier.. Thanks,
    In my opinion it's pretty pointless to ask how just bolting on has worked for someone else. The catch is that there seems to be huge tolerances in stock factory timing. I mean up to 10 degrees or so. So even if just bolting on has worked perfectly for someone there is no guarantee that your result would be anything similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ArttuH View Post
    In my opinion it's pretty pointless to ask how just bolting on has worked for someone else. The catch is that there seems to be huge tolerances in stock factory timing. I mean up to 10 degrees or so. So even if just bolting on has worked perfectly for someone there is no guarantee that your result would be anything similar.
    10 degrees? Really? You would be OVER 1 tooth off on a 30 tooth Suzuki GS1100 sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by slayer61 View Post
    10 degrees? Really? You would be OVER 1 tooth off on a 30 tooth Suzuki GS1100 sprocket
    Don't laugh....On early GSX1100's when changing the lobe center positions of standard cams, I've frequently had to install them with one pin less separation between the 2 and 3 marks.
    When the OE inlet lobe center measures up at 118 degrees - and you want 108 degrees - slotting will only get you so far.

There is of course a written note of this given to the owners for future reference.

Later 1100's and the 1150's seem to have been a lot closer to where they should be.

rphillips is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I must have been lucky, Been so long I don't remember the #'s but neither of mine were nowhere near a tooth , or pin, off. I do remember I decided on 107 IN. & 109 EX., & that gave a ton of torque. I can't even remember what the OEM specs would have worked out to in terms of lobe center. Dang, all that was 40 birthdays ago.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    I must have been lucky, Been so long I don't remember the #'s but neither of mine were nowhere near a tooth , or pin, off. I do remember I decided on 107 IN. & 109 EX., & that gave a ton of torque. I can't even remember what the OEM specs would have worked out to in terms of lobe center. Dang, all that was 40 birthdays ago.
    I was doing probably two a month in the shop I had in the mid 80's. Dial the cams, a pipe I had made up to my specs locally and rejet the carbs.

The worst I remember was an inlet at 122 deg LC.

rphillips is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Do you remember what the Suzuki cam timing specs worked out to in terms of Lobe center. I remember having one of mine up to 115 or 117, but that raised the max HP rpm. way higher than I was comfortable with & lowered the torque quite a bit.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100