Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550e - project making good progress - need throttle and cable

Guys,

Hope you are all keeping well. My project to build the 1978 GS550e that arrived in plastic boxes is going really well. Just finished the electrics with a bit of help from a friend - that was a norse saga!!!

I really am getting close now, the excitement builds but i have one issue that i have not been able to solve - a throttle and cable. The guy i bought the bike from had already purchased a new throttle but it really is very cheap and nasty and looks like the ones i see on eBay/Amazon. The original was not in any of the boxes. I know that i could go to CMSL in the Netherlands but that is a premium price.

Is there anything that you guys are aware of that is a good quality but reasonable price? Grateful for any suggestions.

As always, thanks for all the help from you guys, i really appreciate it.

here are some pics 'cause i know you love them hahaha FYI: tank is just undercoated but has not been treated inside, the 'offending' cheap throttle is shown on the new bars, the seat is just there for me to get an idea, i think i will glass up a seat pan and make my own seat

Untitled by Mike Balmer, on Flickr

Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
    BMW R1200GT
    GS550 1978 Project bike
    Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
    Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Welcome to the Forum.

I can't give you much advise, but I'm in the same boat. I've got a 1978 GS550C that I'm putting together. I probably have 95% of all I need -- except time. The main project will be putting on a new chain, and cleaning the carbs. But I got it for free, so no complaints.

I hope you have the Suzuki Service Manual.

At least you have a nice, dry, well-illuminated, warm (?) place to work -- unlike me!
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Comment

Try this one Mike?

1980 GS550ET

Comment

My GS850 is using a GS500 throttle winder on the bars. It fitted perfectly, illustrating again that many Suzuki parts are re-used in various models and might not be shown on the parts fische cross-reference.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Looks awesome man! keep up the good work, i may have the old throttle from my gs650 if it would work?

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post

At least you have a nice, dry, well-illuminated, warm (?) place to work -- unlike me!
            Thanks for the welcome buddy, yeah i am really spoilt in my workshop - underfloor heating!!!makes such a difference to work there.
            Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
            BMW R1200GT
            GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Thanks Steve, another website i had not heard of!
              Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
              BMW R1200GT
              GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Originally posted by Behry View Post
                Looks awesome man! keep up the good work, i may have the old throttle from my gs650 if it would work?
                That would be great Behry, please check and let me know.

Drop me a text or WhatsApp (better) on 07971726696 and let me know and we can sort out some sort of payment for you.
                Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                BMW R1200GT
                GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Working...
                X